1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bismack Biyombo

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by aicedo, Apr 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I don't care what else happens, if the Rockets are able to get BB, I would be happy and consider it a successful draft.

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

3. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i don't think his rebounding and shot blocking will be better than that of elton brand in his prime. but without the offense of elton brand, he'll be a much worse player. i think a lot of people's projections are way too optimistic.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I was one off on half of my want list, and for the wrong team that I follow. Still BB wish he could have dropped to us, but oh well.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

With Biyombo, people are looking too much at his physical measurements instead of how good a basketball player he is. When a guy is so offensively unskilled, the odds of being an impact player are not good. I think people who believe he will develop offensively are dreaming. He just doesn't have it. IMO, his upside is Mutombo, which isn't too bad at all. But he won't be anything close to the complete player Elton Brand used to be.

6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Cough Den his Rod man Cough... no people do not expect him to ever be a real offensive threat.. He's a building block for a successful defense, very worthy of the praise he's getting.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is what I'm talking about. I hope he does well because it would be a good story, but how many Dennis Rodmans have there been in NBA history? I think it's crazy to compare this guy to a Hall of Fame player. Exactly how are they similar? Not at all. Rodman wasn't particularly athletic, but he had rebounding instincts that were off the charts. Biyombo is the exact opposite.

It isn't surprising because every year people make silly projections on draft picks and the mystery surrounding Biyombo feeds that beast.

8. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

So a year has passed and Bismack's first season is in the books. Considering the way the Rockets are in a rebuilding stage now, it would have been nice to have drafted him.

Next year the Raptors pick might fall in this range so it's intriguing to think of the possiblities, if they can have someone like Rudy Gobert fall this far down.

What do you guys think of BB's first season. I think he seems to be a very young player with even greater upside than was demonstrated back when this thread began.

9. valorita

valorita Member

he has a high motor and good defensive instincts but he's not the game changing type of guy yet. ibaka would be his absolute ceiling and that is not all that high.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Realistically he is in the Lamb/D-Mo conversation. Despite having a year in the NBA. Great tools, but is the drive there?

11. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

He's younger and already has got better footwork than Ibaka.

Check out his move on DH12 at the 1:34 mark of this video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/He6F3qJ8EFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have yet to see Ibaka make a move like this in a game. BB is a rookie and clearly brings his A game when going up against the benchmark for bigs in the league.

12. smr6

smr6 Member

He's got some nice "dream shake" like moves, but he just doesn't have the touch to put in those turnarounds on a consistent basis yet. If he keeps working at it he shows he has a good understanding of the counter moves in the post which is rare nowadays.

13. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

He's rediculously raw.. 4 years in the league (like Bynum) and i think he could be slightly ahead of where Ibaka is now because he does seem to have a better offensive foundation

14. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

He's only 19.

15. Rockets_4_life

There was reason the Rockets staff really wanted this guy last year in the draft; the kid just has special defensive abilities. I mean that length - 7'7 wingspan and 9'4 standing reach - combined with his jaw dropping athleticism just makes for one hell of a defensive prospect.

16. QazQay

QazQay Member

I haven't heard that the Rockets wanted him before, although I guess it makes sense. A 7'7 wingspan is straight up ridiculous.

17. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

That's my point, he needs time to develop like bynum did..

Also want there some controversy over his age? I seem to recall people saying he wasn't as young as he said or something?

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He sure looks like a lot better prospect than Enes Kantor does at this point.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

both look like similar prospects to me, tbh. both good.

20. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

I'd love to pry one of these two away from their teams