1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

It's reported that Knicks have traded KP for Durant, Irving and Zion (joke)...... It's well known that GS will be broken. Playing like this, I'd suggest that Draymond Green retires in July. Clearly they are no longer favorite next few years.
    Whoever outspends everyone will be heavy-favorite to win rings. (lots of rings).

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Good post!
    Yes, GS is clearly broken in July, but EAST Big 4 are great.
    If you are correct, Tilman would have traded Knight/3 Firsts for Tobias Harris via Cavs, then pay luxury tax for his max.
    It makes sense for us to invest in the next 2-3 seasons with the expectation that we're going to do everything possible to win it all.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Great idea, just need to find a $9.3 million exception somewhere in the fine print of the CBA.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I really hope that's not going to be the case, but a big part of me suspects we'll get a version of J.R.'s, 'Morey speech immediately after the deadline', about why it's better for us as Rockets fans that Fertitta gets to save money for another year, and "Look at how flexible we'll get to be this offseason!"

A bit early to worry about that though.

5. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

1 game left but the Rockets reached #17 in their defensive rating. And still #2 since the AS break.

They likely won't hit 15 but I'd say their defense had a significant recovery with everyone back in these last 25 games. And over the course of a full season, the outlook would be a top defensive team. Looking forward to this playoff run big time

7. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

you're not BIMA. Why you bumpin' this thread?

haha good post though

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Because @justtxyank and myself had a discussion and he had a donation pending per seasons end

Louka likes this.
  9. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

haha @justtxyank you @BigBum

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually it wasn't 15th for the year, but 15th for the remaining stretch as per his post here

Rockets are 3rd in defense since 2/9, so I think you win this one handily. Sorry @justtxyank!

justtxyank and Louka like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

if it was at least 15th for the rest of the year, that was done a long time ago lol

12. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I was very hopeful after the team got the players back that we could replicate the team from last year. I believe we have and are a better team because of a deeper bench and better Harden. Faried, House, and Rivers are absolutely critical to holding down that 2nd unit. PJ and Clint up front are going to be heavily taxed and need that support.

13. basketballholic

I think........ on Wednesday we will have around $3.1-3.3 million of the MLE left to sign someone with, and avoid the tax.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

House.

DD

don grahamleone and mikol13 like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

So, did we avoid it?

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Is this still possible to sign House at maybe a 3 year deal worth 3.1 mil on Wednesday?

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don't know, so please - - how is that?

18. amaru

amaru Member

Unless Capela hits all his incentives, unlikely at this point, I think we are good.

xaos likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My guess is they let Shumpert walk, trade EGo for cap room and use it to sign House and one of Faried or Rivers.

DD

20. basketballholic

Thought about that. Don't think it's possible. (Maybe @BimaThug knows something I don't here.) I suspect Morey is going to go after a prime euro player...if we don't sign Bennett or somebody else. And I suspect he may even go after them during or after the playoffs, before June 30th. The perfect candidate, if we're not talking about this current roster and this playoff run but next season, is none other than Sergio Llull.

4/years-13-14 million...which is essentially 3 years @ 13-14 million since we'd be writing him a check for $2-3 million or whatever in April or May and he'd have 3 years left on his deal. We could conceivably offer Llull that deal...along with the $700,000 or whatever the latest number is buyout contribution. We'd be getting an aging Llull that's just now starting to decline. But he'd be a great cheap replacement for EGo. This signing would coincide with Real Madrid's season concluding.

Personally, I'd rather sign someone else. Nando de Colo for instance. Should be a free agent. Same age as Llull. But much more efficient at this stage of each of their careers. Much better shooter. Sergio has a lot of mileage and it's been high intensity mileage.

Another for instance...would be Anthony Randolph. I'd rather have both Nando and Randolph over Llull. And if Randolph could sign and leave Real right now....I'd drop Shump and sign him tomorrow. Even though it appears he's hurt.

The signing of Llull (or Nando) would mitigate the risk of losing Austin Rivers this summer....if we have to give House the entire MLE to get him to stay. And it would allow us to trade EGo...

My current understanding of the luxury tax is that it is figured based on our actual salaries as of the start of today's game, plus any bonuses achieved, minus any bonuses not achieved, plus the trade bonus of any players that we trade/acquire up until June 30th, that we have to pay the trade bonus for, plus all the rookie and one-year vet free agent signings salaries upped to the 2-year minimum.

Since we are out of the luxury tax now...and since we never went over the apron and became hard-capped, then these signing of Hartenstein, Clark, Chiozza, and Frazier were actually slivers of the non-taxpayer MLE, as opposed to the taxpayer MLE. And as long as we don't exceed the apron with a signing, then we have access to the balance of the pro-rated non-taxpayer MLE minus the signings of Hartenstein, Clark, Chiozza, and Frazier. That should come out to around $3.2-3.4 million as of April 10th but will continue to prorate down each day to June 30th.

That's a nice chunk of change that basically amounts to a huge bonus to get a euro player out of their contract and get them over here since the season is over. And they could actually be on the playoff roster if signed by April 12th.

#260 basketballholic, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    don grahamleone likes this.