1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billy Paultz "The Whopper" Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 17, 2017.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I modeled my game after his: tenacious, slow, lumbering white guy.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The Whopper once said he didn't dunk because when he did it made him dizzy.

Wapzoe and RudyTBag like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Victim of one of Hakeem's ninja sucker punches.

RudyTBag and Torn n Frayed like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Made my day. We used to laugh about him until we cried, and now it all came back.

I had no idea there was even this much footage of him, and I couldn't have selected a better soundtrack for his game.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Last I heard he was struggling financially and was a car salesman in Houston trying to make it financially in his late 60’s.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Let Billy get you a WHOPPER of a deal on a new Buick!

http://www.gaybuickgmc.com/MeetOurDepartments

Billly 'The Whopper' Paultz has worked with Gay Buick GMC for over 6 years now. A resident of the Seabrook, TX area, Billy is a retired professional basketball player. You might recognize him from playing with the Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs years ago. Billy's passion is now to help his customers find the perfect new Buick or GMC vehicle. Give him a call or stop by and see him at your convenience!

[​IMG]

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Damn, not even exotic cars. He is nearly 70 years old and selling Buick’s in the suburbs. Someone needs to track him down and find out what went wrong for him. I am assuming he doesn’t get an NBA/ABA pension. What did he do between 1985 and 2010? Glad he is supporting himself but if I played pro basketball for a decade; I wouldn’t expect to be selling Buick’s at 70 years old.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Different era though! He was actually kind of a 7th or 8th man for a lot of his career, so probably made, like, NASA engineer money. Not even kidding.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. From http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...e_biggest_jerks_in_basketball_history_is.html

Billy Paultz, an ABA and NBA player from 1970 to 1985, once told me the following story:

It was the 1980 season. Our head coach in Houston, coach Del Harris, was trying to heal some rifts between players. He brought in a psychologist who got the whole team together in the locker room for a visualization exercise. The psychologist asked us to close our eyes and visualize all of our troubles and problems, every one. Then he said, “Now, keeping your eyes closed, visualize picking up all your troubles one by one and put them in a bag. Then visualize throwing that bag full of your troubles off of a bridge.” He talked in a very soft and relaxing voice. “Now watch that bag of your troubles fly off the bridge, splash into the water below, sinking, sinking, sinking until it submerges and disappears. When I count to three, you will open your eyes, and when you do, all your troubles will be gone.” At the time I was reunited with Rick Barry on the Rockets. The psychologist counted to three. I opened my eyes and said “Hey Rick, I don’t get it. How come you’re still here?” Rick didn’t appreciate that.

Os Trigonum and Plowman like this.