1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billups just compared Joel Embiid to Hakeem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jan 27, 2017.

?

Can Embid be the next Hakeem

1. Yes, I can see it

37 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. Possibly if he stays injury free

33 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. Umm, too early to tell

33 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Are you kidding, there will never be another Hakeem

53 vote(s)
    38.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Then proceeded to show video of both doing the same type of moves (offensively and blocking shots).

Hakeem rookie year: 20.6 pts, 11.9 rbs, 2.7 blocks, 35.5 mins

Embid rookie year: 19.8 pts, 7.8 rbs, 2.5 blocks, 25.3 mins

#1 jayfree, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Kam and D-rock like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I've only seen one video of one shot by Embiid in an NBA game making a dream shake move, and it seemed overly thought out vs instinctual from hours and years of practice and execution. I've scoured his highlights this year for more. Seems like it should be easier to find, if it's a staple move, since there are 101 variations of the move.

Porzingis also has a video of one dreamshake

His offense right now looks more like Ewing and Robinson to me, and that is no slight. They are HOFers -- Robinson leading the league in scoring and Ewing reaching 29 ppg, in an era of centers. I don't get these comparisons the Hakeem who redefined speed and footwork at the center position. Is it just because Ewing and Robinson never won a title?

He damn sure can block well, though. Very quick off his feet and covers a lot of ground on help defense.. Reminds me of Ewing and Olajuwon

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hakeem was unbelievably smooth, that's a huge difference. Embiid has plenty of similarities but tons of differences as well.

I saw one play on here that reminded me of Hakeem. I mean, there's one play where he gets the ball on the block and he passes right away. I know it's just one game, but Embiid is his own man. He's not the athlete that Hakeem is but he can stretch the floor so that's a bonus. I like him a lot but he's no Hakeem. Put your back to the basket 25 times a game and we'll talk about Hakeem. Until then.. he's a minor comparison.

roslolian likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

Ewing is an awesome comparison, but even Ewing played on the block quite a bit. The game is so different now.

KDavis likes this.
  5. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

The kid is good but my god do the NBA media like to over hype stuff. There's an article on front of ESPN NBA saying he should be in the MVP discussion.....

6. heypartner

Ewing and Robinson did move out and like to face up. They liked to shoot 18ers too. I think in today's game, they would shoot 3ptrs like Towns and Embiid do.

Dream would also face up and attack off the dribble, but obviously known more for back to basket situations. But it's the speed and footwork that really set him apart.

Yung-T and KDavis like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Embiid is more polished offensively as a rookie and much bigger. Akeem was a bouncier more nimble athlete with some quick hands to go along with his quick feet. How many steals did Akeem have vs. Embiid?

azndino2005 likes this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

I think the main comparison would be his defense. Not too many players block shots to keep it in play which Hakeem was known for.

9. heypartner

Agree. But Ewing was known for that too. Ewing and Dream were very similar on d. Ewing taller and quick, but Dream quickest. I think he is at Ewing/Dream level defense.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I think comparing him to Hakeem is a stretch, but I remember people comparing KAT to Duncan. It's just a testament to how good these young fellas have been. I am not offended by someone saying he plays like Hakeem. I highly doubt he ever becomes as good as Dream, but Embiid has a good future has being a high caliber player in the NBA. Right now he does a lot of the things that Dream did. He is a very talented offensive talent, and thus far he has shown to be a very good defender. He will never have the moves that McHale or Dream had, but I think he could still be very effective in today's league even if we're moving away from the paint. The good thing about him is that he also has shown signs of stretching the floor. The NBA is hitting a good point with big men.

Yung-T and D-rock like this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

12. heypartner

Don't forget, Akeem was sharing stats with Sampson. That was a real team vs this Embiid development team called the 76ers.

And more "polished." I don't know about that. He was hitting that baseline fadeaway out of the gate.He destroyed the defending champion Lakers in 4 games straight in just his second year, scoring like 36ppg and they had to bait him into a fight to get him off the court.

I'll never forget a quote from Pat Riley saying after their 2nd win a row, asked about how was going to stop Akeem ,,, "I don't know. We didn't know he was this good."

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

And James Harden is the next Magic Johnson.

14. don grahamleone

Looking back, this is making me remember the two series with Phoenix. How did we beat them. They were crazy good.

Charles Barkley
    Kevin Johnson
    Cedric Ceballos
    Dan Majerle
    AC Green
    Oliver Miller
    Danny Ainge

These 7 guys averaged 110 ppg.

Answer: Hakeem

He made us winners with all the things he did. So many utensils at his disposal that Embiid just doesn't have, but he could if he works on his game.

Houstunna, topfive and D-rock like this.
  15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I think Embiid has immense potential, however that being said I don't think you can start to compare Embiid to Hakeem yet. Embiid will need a few healthy years in the league first then we can reasonably revisit this comparison.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  16. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

If he stays injury free and joins the Rockets i'll say he's like Hakeem-like.:D

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Polished only in that he's more of a finished product offensively than Akeem. Embiid is already doing the dream shake and shooting 3's on consistent basis. Akeem was certainly a scorer early on but he didn't become a well oiled machine until his championship years.

18. basketballholic

I saw hakeem in Embiid at Kansas. He's got the talent.

But I don't believe Embiid's feet are going to hold up to the stress. I think he'll have a relatively short career, maybe shorter that Yao's, and if he does elongate it, I think he will become footwork limited and become more like Vlade then Hakeem. Just can't see his feet holding up to all those Hakeem moves.

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I don't see the similarities but that isn't a slight on his game. He's clearly got a bright future ahead of him as long as he remains healthy. His footwork and repertoire of moves will increase the longer he remains in the NBA.

20. heypartner

I'd really like to see the videos of him doing it a lot. I've only seen one dreamshake in an NBA game from him, which was the very basic Show the Ball, Spin the Other Way move. The guy has scores of highlights now. It should be easy to find like 5 of these moves, so we can see how polished it is, with instinctual counters or not.

I'd be very happy to change my opinion on this.