1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billionaire Tilman Fertitta Buys Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 5, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

J.R. likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

HOUSTON – The Houston Rockets announced today that Tilman J. Fertitta has officially closed on his purchase of the NBA Houston Rockets and Clutch City Sports and Entertainment. The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved Fertitta to join the ranks of an NBA owner yesterday, setting the stage for the commencement of the Fertitta era.

According to Fertitta, “I could not be happier. To own the Rockets in my hometown of Houston is a dream come true. I promise to continue to make this city proud of the Rockets and to do what we can to bring home a championship.”

Fertitta was a former limited partner of Charlie Thomas when he owned the team back in the early 1980’s. Fertitta paid a record price for the team of $2.2 billion dollars to former Rockets owner Leslie Alexander. According to Fertitta, “Leslie has left an indelible mark on Houston sports history. Not only did he bring two championships to our city, he created a winning environment and culture. He is a tough act to follow.”

Leslie Alexander stated, “I have been friends with Tilman since 1993, so it is my great honor to announce that Tilman and his family have been able to fulfill their dream of owning the Houston Rockets. Tilman’s passion, commitment to excellence, and unrivaled love for the city of Houston are going to serve him well as a great owner of this proud franchise.”

Long far more involved with Rockets' decision-making than his reputation, Alexander was less visible as an owner than Fertitta is expected to be, but with a similar management style. Like Alexander, Fertitta is known to be kept well informed about his businesses and makes the final call on a wide variety of decisions, but also has a reputation for empowering his companies' leadership.

Fertitta is expected to keep the Rockets' current management team, including CEO Tad Brown and general manager Daryl Morey, in place, with meetings since the agreement on the sale of the team indicating his intention to retain the heads of the team's business and basketball sides.

#603 J.R., Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

#604 J.R., Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    BigMaloe and don grahamleone like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

First order of business should be sending some Galveston goons to pay a visit to some of these media "analysts" and Nike.

D-rock, BigMaloe and Reeko like this.
  7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Time to sign Morey to a lifetime deal

treyk3 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tilman has got to do something about the pathetic lower bowl situation...y'all don't even know how much the lack of home court advantage pisses me off

D-rock, True Rocket and JayGoogle like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Grats officially, Tilman!

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Go watch Pacino : De Niro movies. Our owner is like that. Cut throat. Mafia.

First order of business.... change jerseys and logo.

Second. Hire better dancers.

Third. Fix attendance. Red rowdies front row. Ceo of Exxon in the nose bleeds.

D-rock likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

surely his first order of business is going to be replacing all the food stalls with bubba gump and landry's crap :D

RasaqBoi and BigMaloe like this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Still has done nothing. Where are the Tittman apologists now?

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Looks to me like his goons got to Barkley. Nice start to the Fertitta era

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why haven't they gotten to McHale yet?

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

List is in alphabetical order.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tittman? :eek:

Does that make Harden, Assman?

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Like non.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

See, I don't know about you guys, but is anybody else concerned that this guy might run the team the same way he runs his restaurants, i.e., emphasizing profits over quality? I've always said that as owners go, we could do a lot worse than Les.

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

he already said he's dedicated to getting championships so i doubt it

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

He already fcked things up with no bidding on flash seats... that’s how I used to buy tickets to the games!