1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billionaire Tilman Fertitta Buys Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh... CNBC reality show host Fertitta and third cousin to former UFC owners buys the team. No music superstar Beyonce Knowles.

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Lol as if this logo and jersey has any hint of China or Yao in them. You think the Chinese are really holding on to the old brand or something? Just because Leslie rebranded when Yao came, doesn't mean a change would somehow negatively impact the Chinese market..

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

He has a "no perfume policy" that one of my bosses took from him but I don't think it's ridiculous. When dining at a restaurant I don't need to smell my server.

Nook likes this.
  4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Very true. As someone who is nervous about this news, this is one thing that gives me hope. While never having been a majority owner, Fertitta is clearly a lifelong fan who has spent a lot of time very close to this team and other Houston franchises. He's not a complete n00b, and he is not completely disinterested in the actual product. It's not like he's a billionaire restaurateur from Nevada with no previous ties to Houston or basketball, just looking to buy a distressed asset before gambling in the NBA becomes legal. That would be worst case scenario to me.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

wow!! How fast! Congratulations?
    I know nothing of the new owner. I just hope there aren't many minor owners.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just told my significant other about it, and the first words out of her mouth were, and I quote, "Oh my god, are you kidding? I'm sorry!" She knows all about Fertitta and immediately viewed the sale of the Rockets to the man as a disaster.

IBTL, Richie_Rich and daywalker02 like this.
  7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

This is a great thing.

1. We will never leave Houston
    2. Money will not be an issue
    3. He goes balls out and succeeds on all of his business ventures
    4. He is a passionate fan who will do what it takes to put a winner on the court

IBTL and Uprising like this.
  8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Things are cooling down. :(

heypartner likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I truly hope he can hold this team dear like his jewel.

IBTL likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Aside from the year of blue, that red is what China knows. The brand equity in China was built using that design and logo. 95% of the imagery, memories, etc... of anything post-China influx = red. To assume all that work that was done to establish the brand in China might not be diminished by a rebrand is short-sighted.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Leslie can be a dick too, have you seen him answer questions?? Most rich business owners are pricks! There's a lot of positive with this guy.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Okay well the Rockets will always be red..

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I love a Houstonian is buying it. The Rockets are going to be bigger and better because there is no way the new owner will not incorporate his business with the basketball team. Like having better food, have a rewards program with the restaurants, hotels and the basketball team. All the NBA teams value just skyrocketed, Jeannie Bus just got a bigger paycheck.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Being efficient is not the same thing as being a cheapskate. It's allocating resources more effectively. Whether that resource is money, time, manpower, etc.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only fear I have is that Tillman has no room to lose money. He doesn't have the cash flow to absorb massive luxury tax hits for 3-5 years.

You look at the warriors or cavs and they will have net operating losses for multiple years in a row offset by the money they bring in before and after. If Tillman prepared for that? He's likely to come in year 1 in the luxury tax. There's a high probability that this team loses money in terms of cash flow for the next 4 years if he keeps it all togeher

IBTL and LabMouse like this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's from Houston, so he knows that Houstonians think the post championship uniforms have been Long John Silver trash, he wants to upgrade to Landrys or at least Joe's crab shack quality.

IBTL likes this.
  19. jman255

jman255 Member

You don't have a choice.

20. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

The Warriors owners aren't rich either, but they are competent and they hire FO people who are business savvy.

It's not about having a mega rich owner who can pay huge tax losses.

It's about building a business model which can sustain a winning franchise.

don grahamleone likes this.