1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons] Melo more likely to get bought out than play crunch time minutes for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 14, 2018.

?

What is more likely?

1. Melo being bought out or become a throw in in a trade

29 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Melo playing crunch time for Rockets in the playoffs

156 vote(s)
    84.3%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ryno couldn't do that bc he doesn't love to chuck up shots every night like everyone knows melo does. but just for the sake of your claim, Ryno put up 29 pts vs GS before

obviously your bar for melo is higher for whatever reason but the comparison of pierce and wade aren't outrageous. its probably closer to that than alot of these other views about what melo really is at this stage of his career. The attitude and his ability to adapt and actually buy into a certain role will tell us alot about how much he actually has left. There's only so many excuses people can make for him and thats been going on for years now

#61 YOLO, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Zboy likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Bill Simmons is right.

Melo won't be played in crunch time, but he's not going to be bought out. He'll be a contributor and he'll even contribute against the Warriors in the playoffs. He just won't play crunch time because I'm sure what Bill Simmons means is "close playoff games, final two minutes".

Most playoff games will be blowouts and the few games that get close will be against the Warriors. Coach won't play him much in the final two minutes because of the new timeout rules in the last two minutes. You can't change out offense for defense like you used to be able to. Hence, his prediction.

What he doesn't tell you is that neither will happen. He won't be cut/bought out and he won't play crunch-time. No one checked the man on his opinion hence his ability to tirade without rebuttals.

da_juice and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. He doesn't know anything about particular players & their skill sets. He doesn't know anything about the X's & O's like I originally posted. His niche is throwing out silly hottakes, like a more beta version of Skip Bayless. He'd rather talk about guys personally to generate attention for himself

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

I used to like BS when he was so focused on basketball on the BS Report, but now hes just a headline reviewer like most of the sports media, unless its the Boston Celtics - so his thoughts should be taken with a grain of salt. He's no Zach Lowe, simply because he just doesn't watch enough basketball games anymore and is not a true sports analyst. That being said, due to that fact alone - his assumptions on how a basketball are to be ignored unless he has a rocket player/staff on the podcast....

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

yeh, he's on the vet min now bc he's got 27M in his pocket from his buyout...
    which, although he did not have a good year... OKC didn't know how to use him - I think MDA will know how to best utilize him and with CP3 feeding him open looks and Harden pulling the defense... he's set up to have a great year...

Hey, maybe he does a Ty Lawson and is total crap... could happen...
    but the guy is 1 year removed from being an all-star - even if based on name alone...

and most importantly - this is where he wants to be! He was willing to waive his 'no trade for us and Cleveland - then he took Cleve off the table - leaving just us...
    Then he expanded to OKC and Cleve... and good enough for OKC to give up assets to pay him 27M/yr (one way or another - lol)
    I dont buy this whole 'no market for Melo' narrative... Just like I don't buy that Boogie couldn't have gotten more... these guys took 'prove you still got it' contracts for pennies on the dollar to pick where they wanted to play - and where they could excel for the next free agent market... and in Melo's case with 27M in his pocket... lol

but hey, like I said... maybe he does a Ty Lawson... but I think it'll be fun to watch and who knows...
    I just think some folks are writing him off prematurely... imo...

6. Nook

Nook Member

Who cares what Bill Simmons thinks. He hasn’t ever ran or coached an NBA team, he doesn’t cover an NBA team, he isn’t an expert or well connected within the NBA and he hasn’t exactly been accurate in the past.

His opinion is less educated than a number of regular posters on here.

7. BackdoorHarden

Simon is a moron. Who buys out a minimum player like Melo??? You just waive him if you needed to

da_juice and D-rock like this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Gotta get those clicks somehow....

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I appreciate what Bill does in giving a platform for talented writers but his own takes are usually pretty dumb.

amaru likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Melo sucks.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He’s obsessed with his take that the rockets aren’t that good. Even with curry himself admitting that the rockets were super legit, Simmons can’t let go of it

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’s ridiculously well connected in the nba. To say otherwise is patently absurd. He knows things and is dialed in. He’s been anti rocket and wrong for a couple years now but he’s on good terms with Murray from his time in Boston and had him on a pod cast last month. This is a bizarre charge to level against BS that he’s not connected in the NBA.

13. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Only decline Melo has had in a year is from being 1st option on the knicks to becoming a of and 3rd option on OKC with a ball dominate point! He should do well with the Rockets where he really wanted to be last season..

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Melo is not the player he once was, but he’s going to look revitalized playing with CP3 and Harden.

First, he’s going from playing with the biggest ballhog at point guard in the NBA (Westbrook) to now playing with one of the most unseflish point guards in NBA history (CP3), who happens to be one of his best friends. Melo has never played with a pure point guard the caliber of CP3 in his career, either.

Second, CP3 will keep Melo in line. Melo respects CP3 and their friendship. He’s not going to step out of line in Houston. It’s no different than how CP3 got Harden to be a better team defender more consistently than Patrick Beverley could. Beverley, like CP3, is an elite defender at the point guard position. However, he’s a role player, and doesn’t have the skin in the game to gain the respect of a superstar like James Harden. CP3 does.

Third, playing in D’Antoni’s offense is a dream for any player. Melo, like Harden and CP3 before him, will enjoy the freedom it allows.

Finally, while you obviously don’t want Melo stuck on Curry against the Warriors, he can guard Green or Iguodala.

da_juice, clutchdabear and heypartner like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bill Simmons is smart about the NBA. But the problem is he ALSO likes "narratives" and "storylines." And the narratives and storylines at times take precedence, and "facts" that support his narratives get used and facts that DO NOT support his narrative get conveniently left out.

So really he is disingenuous. But since he comes across as "intelligent" on NBA matters that can confuse people.

da_juice, clutchdabear and heypartner like this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

What!? But he’s Bill Simmons! Stop hating HeyP. Don’t. You. Know. Who. He. Is?

Bill’s NBA takes and trades are ALWAYS on point.:rolleyes:

17. hakeemthagreat

So is Stephen A. I can't stand either, but SAS is better at his job

#77 hakeemthagreat, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  18. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

You pulled a clip from 13 when he was on ESPN. You know those guys are all given a narrative and don’t believe the stuff they say. His new stuff from the Ringer is pretty good. I listen to him all the time. Most intelligent basketball conversation out there.

I don’t see why everyone is mad that he hates on the Rockets. Nobody out there believes this team is good enough to beat the warriors and nobody believed it last year either. It’s not like he was going against the norm and just being a douche. He even said multiple times during the finals that if Paul didn’t get hurt we would have more than likely beat the Warriors.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

We don't need Melo at his former level, at his former level Melo was one of the best players in the league and just below Lebron and co.

We just need a guy who be the missing link and score when Cp3 and Harden are gassed/covered. That shouldn't be too hard for someone who was previously the focus of enemy defenses lol.

saleem likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. They both are. Anyone who says SAS isn’t connected I would also say is making a patently absurd claim.
    I like BS better than SAS. Both know their hoops. Both can be entertaining at times. Both can wear thin at times.
    I think SAS says stuff to stir things up more often than BS, and BS likes the smell of his own farts more than anyone in the sports media today, but he’s also really talented and I’d ride for him as a guy who is a hoops historian and knows his stuff.
    Whoever said he falls in love with overarching story lines leveled an appropriate charge with BS.