1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: "Houston has a top 3 worst crowd"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Is Simmons right?

1. Yes

387 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Media conspiracy

24 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I blame the Red Rowdies.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't live in Houston anymore so I don't go to games. :-( But from watching on TV, the crowd is DEAD and SPARSE. There is no force.

There are passionate Rockets fans, but it does not translate. Feels like the crowd is a front runner. Excited on the "high stakes" games or at the end but blah on everything else.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets ever leave Houston then I quit the NBA

s3ts, Drogba and DreamShook like this.
  4. Vnilla_Gorilla

The main reason is all the corporate seats. People don't show up in the lower level because those club seats are usually owned by businesses. They give the tickets out to employees or other businesses as a sales tactic.

Combine that with a ton of people that aren't native Houstonians and you get a pretty bad crowd.

I usually only go to 3ish games during the season for this reason. I prefer to save my money for the playoffs, when the crowd is actually decent.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How come the Rockets players haven't said anything about the crowd?

6. bmd

bmd Member

My theory is this.

1. Football is popular because it's the most popular sport and there are only 8 games a year and they fall on Sunday. It's easy to draw big, loud crowds.

2. With baseball, a lot of the fans are older and/or wealthier. They can afford to go to many games and they get loud because they are real fans of the team and the sport. And really, regular season Astros games are usually pretty laid back too.

3. Basketball is more of a young and/or urban sport. Not as many older and/or wealthier people who are really FANS. They will still go to the games for entertainment and fill up the seats, but they are more laid back because they aren't true fans like they are for baseball and football.

IvanLCPM, Torn n Frayed and hakeem94 like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how come this isn't the case in other cities?

RocketsTerps likes this.
  8. Moahst

Moahst Member

Simmons is right. The org needs to incentivize attendance better and track how often the seats are actually being sat in in the lower bowl.

9. MystikArkitect

Like what? All the downtown nightlife anyone wants to be around is on the opposite side near Franklin and Main.

10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Yeah seriously, SD is a gigantic market and people there have money to boot. I don't like the idea of them moving nor do I think it would happen but if the people in Houston can't show pride in such a great team, then wtf...

11. Bob Barker 007

I'm not sure why people are defending the Red Rowdies. When I go to the games, the Red Rowdies make things worse. Their "organic" chants are done at the same time as the PA sound effects and chants, reducing the effectiveness of both. Fans don't participate with either one for that reason. Not to mention the fact that the game experience has slowly gotten worse - the hype videos suck, they removed the Dream On history video, the halftime entertainment is worse, the new Clutch sucks. The only thing that gets any fan participation with the game itself is Matt Thomas yelling "Defense" to get the crowd started.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres plenty of places to go around the house of blues area which is a few blocks away from TC. htx tavern area has places to hang around as well. even just the opposite side where the dynamo stadium has bars. midtown is a few minutes uber ride away. lack of downtown nightlife around TC just isn't a valid excuse.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

ill defend them over some lameo sitting in their seats acting like theyre too cool to cheer and get excited or make noise at a sporting event. you're not

14. bmd

bmd Member

Not all other cities have NFL, NBA, and MLB. So OKC, for exampe, is the only show in town. Also, Houston is a city that has MANY people who have moved here from somewhere else. A lot of people are fans of other teams, or at least didn't grow up as Rockets fans. So they will go to games for entertainment, but they aren't real fans.

#134 bmd, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  15. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Top 3 worst? No way...

Top 3 worst based on team success? possibly...

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We bad. We have a very lazy crowd. Few die hards in the stands, IMO.

17. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Went to WCF game 4 against the Warriors a couple years back. Sat lower bowl, got hammered in anticipation, and was rowdy as hell. People looked at me like I was a ghost. They were petrified that someone was actually cheering loudly and obnoxiously... Actually the only people that I got along with was opposing fans... They understood my enthusiasm. It was gross... I do think its gotten better in recent years but man that was weird.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What your seeing is alot of people with 8 to 5pm jobs that work in the surrounding buildings.
    They have miserable lives as it is.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

I read an article a while back about how one of cuban’s first decisions after buying the mavs was to make nosebleeds affordable to create a strong fan experience

Rockets Rule and hakeem94 like this.
  20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Make the experience more urban. :D More Slim Thug and Travis Scott courtside. Less lights, it’s too damn bright in the arena. Bring in the theater style lights and make the game feel like an experience. Play better music, get better on mic personalities during timeouts.

The fact of the matter is that if the game isn’t close, Toyota Center is boring af. You need to be able to feel the energy from the outside before you set foot into the arena. Make people, like me, regret that I got there late.

By the way, I’ll try really hard to get there on time next time I get tickets. Promise.

Rockets Rule, Nivos and hakeem94 like this.