1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Russell or Dwight in his prime?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RiceDaddy7, Jun 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I got to thinking...

...that maybe, just maybe, Bill Russell fattened up in an 8 team league that was mostly loaded with slow white guys and Wilt Chamberlain as his only competition. Bill Russell today would've won in any era, including today, but he probably wouldn't have had the amount of rings that he had nor the inflated hypothetical stats for the time like potential blocks and rebounds (had they been recorded).

And then I was thinking...put Dwight in a time machine and maybe he gets a lot of rings in Russell's era. Maybe not 12 rings, but Dwight, I think, gets a couple.

Question: Would you, today, build a team with Dwight in his prime or Russell?

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Something about watching old Bill Russell videos reminds me of Rodman. I think Russell is overrated, but I would take him over Howard. Dwight just has too many side issues with him. Neither have any kind of offensive game. Dwight is stronger in the weight room, but Russell looks like he used his entire body better than Howard. He has more competitive fire than Dwight and he isn't a dip**** like Dwight can be.

3. the shark

the shark Member

"Slow white guys"?

Pull your head out of your ass!!!

Russell played 4 of his 13 yrs in the 50's.

Obviously you've never heard of guys like Willis Reed, Walt Bellamy, and Nate Thurmond (all black centers and all in the HOF). Plus throw in going up against Jerry Lucas as well as Chamberlain.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Can Russell smile and dance at Dwight's level. I think not.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

As far as Centers, the NBA currently is a bunch of slow white dudes.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill Russell obviously, and Wilt was LIGHT YEARS more skilled.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yet up until a few years ago, before Cousins was drafted or became integrated into the NBA, sort of when guys, like Shaq and Yao were retiring or on their last legs. Name a few Hall of Fame type players Dwight was beasting against or besting.

I feel like Russell, if given the chance to develop his game and adapt to modern play, he'd be a better player than Dwight. Russell was a mentally strong player, as well as having iron personality and heart. Russell couldn't shoot at all, but he was golden in every other area offensively. Dwight isn't. Russ could run an NBA offense, would not become disengaged, if he didn't have the ball in his hand. I'd imagine he'd be setting picks, boxing out, and going for offensive rebounds. Also, if he has superior BBIQ,

I've seen lesser players than Russell, average a modest 10-12 ppg and 10-12 rebs -- this is with regards to talent, ability, size, and height.

Disagree with some of things in this article.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/441840-bill-russell-an-overrated-nba-legend

Russell: 15 ppg, 14-16 rebs, 3-4 blks, and 5 ast - 45-49% FG - with elite defense. He'd actually be a perfect center in today's NBA, because I think he would fit the smaller teams who like to run, yet he would be able to guard the talent-heavy power forwards and be able to take on the larger centers, as well. Ironically, Russell's era was the "run-and-gun" era, so I don't think he'd necessarily have trouble keeping up, while I think his body type even with a few extra pounds would, again be suited to play in era where the centers aren't nearly as skilled offensively (especially in the post) and do have habit of not being very good defenders or are particular useful in motion-style or run-n-gun type offenses. He wouldn't need an outstanding post game or to be a great shooter to be effective on offense. He just needs to be able to finish, hit free throws, and grab offensive rebounds.

Defense, as I said, he'd probably be just as good as he was (if not, better) in the 60s, though his numbers would drop a little, because of the pace, the rule difference, and different types of player. Most teams, now, do not need a center to dominate, but really just grab rebounds, rotate on defense, protect the paint (on certain possessions), set picks/screens, and finish plays at basket. Russell could still do those things at an elite level, if given a fair age to develop and adapt to modern competiton.

He'd still be good enough to turn some of the bad teams around, maybe not win a title, but I think he could carry them fairly deep into the playoffs. I think people underestimate the ability of having a stalwart center on defense.

On a contender or with other superstars, he puts that team over the top.

I feel like Russell would be somewhat of hybrid between Ben Wallace/Serge Ibaka/Shane Battier/Chuck Hayes -- better in some areas, though worse in others.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Chamberlain -- had a jump shot, great post moves, a finger roll, a sneaky bank shot, possibly stronger physically, and arguably the best passing center ever.

Also, figure in that the younger, more agile Kareem had his struggles against Wilt in his twilight years.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Based on the footage, it's obviously guys were overrated and aren't nearly as strong or athletically gifted back in those days. Based on that fact alone, not only is Dwight Howard > Bill Russell but guys like Mason Plumlee, Bismack Biyombo, Andrew Bogut and even Festus Ezeli would give Russell and Chamberlain a heart attack with their superior modern strength, sports training, and athletic ability. It's just be rationally honest and it's not a knock on those guys.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Even small forwards like Andre Iguodala when healthy let alone Lebron James would dominate Chamberlain and Russell in the post due to the superior modern game they have to play. Chamberlain and Russell were playing against the best modern middle school athletes back in those days if you want to make a comparison a scientific comparison.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Liberon, incredibly stupid post. I can't take anyone seriously that doubts Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with all the insane video footage we have of both of them.

Old Wilt was giving Kareem all kinds of fits.

Old Kareem was giving Hakeem all kinds of fits.

Old Hakeem was killing Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, etc.

Old Shaq was giving Yao trouble and DESTROYING Dwight.

What you don't understand is that it is all connected, and when it comes to bigs I think there is an argument that we are regressing, not progressing. Just imagine how high Wilt and Kareem would jump If they were not playing in Chuck Taylors?

Prime Wilt, prime Bill, prime Kareem, would certainly give Dwight a run for his money, just as they did Hakeem, and we saw what Hakeem did to every great C in his day.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So Iguodala > Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the post?

:grin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L2U4JSrpO78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. the shark

the shark Member

This has to be THE most ignorant comment I've ever read on Clutchfans :eek:

14. the shark

the shark Member

This is the second biggest ignorant comment I've ever read on Clutchfans :eek:

Dude LAY OFF THE CRACK PIPE!!!!'

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I consider Hakeem a more modern athlete. Guys from the early 80s on are comparable to today's athletes give or take. And Im sorry I was being rational but the black and white footage showcased a bunch of stooges playing slow basketball with barely any defense. Those are guys are pathetic to watch, I'm sorry about speaking reality and truth.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think you need to get off your alcohol and all kinds of illicit drugs if you think this kind of competition is comparable to today's NBA game.

[youtube]Lzsgc4BNZXM[/youtube]

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This **** is weak.. Most of those dribbles and post would be stolen and off to the races in today's game.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Forget Iguadala and Dwight... Jerry Lin would wreck these nobodies (Wilt, Kareem).

19. the shark

the shark Member

"Speaking reality"?

Sorry I'm not going to debate the village idiot!!!!

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Go look at the footage. The guys back then were slow and didn't play tight defense. They let the other team score out of courtesy and had a 10 passes rules before shooting in some cases. You can't compare the basketball from the 50 to 70s to what's going on now and would have to be an idiot not to realize if Wilt, Kareem, and Russell wouldn't do so well in today's game.