1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not having a good OL is tough. We had a good OL when O'Brien got here.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You might wanna be careful with that word ;)

The Texans defense and run game lead to a 9-7 record, which is definitionally better than average.

OBie certainly has limited the play book, due to the Texans QB carousel. Even with a fully trained-up Brick, OBie limited the number of passes since Brick had trouble with his accuracy. In theory, Savage has a more accurate arm, so OBie might open the playbook up a little. But if the RT run blocks way better than pass protects ...

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Is it definitionally (whatever that means) better than average or barely better than average? LOL

Most would agree that the Texan's defense had more to do with their success than the running game. The team was #19 in the league in yards per carry. But had the #1 defense (yes i know that stat is dubious)

The playbook was more spontaneous and fun with players like Fitzpatrick, TJ Yates, and Case Keenum. I think it is the other way around. Coach felt he didn't need trick plays anymore since he had a $36 million QB under center. If he limited the number of passes, why didn't we see any wildcat passes with Braxton? Why no end-arounds with the RB throwing to the QB? I don't know what the reason was but the play-calling got really boring. It's hard for me to blame it just on bad QB play since we've had bad QB for most of O'Brien's time with the Texans.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Using similar metrics to how you suggest the Texans were the "#1 defense" suggest that the Texans had the #8 running game so yeah, not "mediocre" if you go by yards gained. If you go by yards per attempt, sure, the Texans were slightly below average, but we could relate that to the Rockets and 3 point shooting. Are the Rockets a good 3 point shooting team or are they a mediocre 3 point shooting team? You could see how many they made (most in the league) and argue that they are a very good 3 point shooting team.....then you check out their average on those shots and see that they are ever so slightly below average much like the Texans when it comes to yards per attempt rushing and it would give you an excuse to start throwing around the word "mediocre".
    \
    Of course, that's not the narrative with the Rockets, so it's clear that people wouldn't do that.

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Tension? BOB was as happy as I've ever seen him at the Watson press conference.

I'd definitely trust Breer over Allbright. Breer has ties to O'Brien and several others from his days reporting on the Patriots.

6. Mr. Clutch

That just means O'Brien leaks through him.

Sounds like Watson was #1 for O'Brien but not #1 for the scouts, hence the tension after we changed our strategy and decided to trade up for Watson.

7. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Breer on draft night

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Did you actually read the post? "Did anyone hear Zierlein on the radio today?... He said he's heard a ton recently since he's been in Los Angeles..."

Since you seem to be a bit of a BOB whisperer, please tell us when BOB was in Los Angeles leaking info to a Houston media member that has never had inside info previously. Doesn't he HATE the Houston media? Did he maybe not recognize LZ?

I watched the NFL Network's coverage of the draft, and before they dealt the 12th pick, their panel speculated that the Browns might use it on a QB - at which point, Eisen reminded them that they had Brock Osweiler, which prompted laughs from everyone.

I don't know any details - but Brock Osweiler is a running joke among NFL circles. A vicious, almost gleeful running joke. Normally, that sort of unintentional vitriol from the media goes hand-in-hand with a pervasive dislike of the target. Maybe BOB/Texans perpetuated the Osweiler stuff - but keep in mind two things: 1) the media LOVES John Elway; b) John Elway was a bitter b**** after Osweiler left.

I doubt the Osweiler profile was shaped by the Texans; my guess is that it confirmed what was already out there.

9. Mr. Clutch

He leaks through other people, and obviously he's not gonna give any on the record quotes.

I don't think he's necessarily shaped the whole view, because Brock was gonna end up a joke as soon as Ricky McNair offered him a massive contract.

But it's kinda disgusting that you kick a guy on the way out. All these rumors and stories popped up right after they traded Brock. Usually you say all the right things, stay classy and just move on. You don't air dirty laundry to try to make a guy look bad.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It might be about positioning. You don't leak it when you have him because you want to trade him. That deal is done, so you start leaking what happened to save face and A) gain leverage over Rick Smith or B) protect your reputation so you can move on. That's just business. Osweiler got paid, he'll be fine.

11. Mr. Clutch

Yeah I understand why he did it, I just think it's dirty, classless and could potentially hurt the org long run in attracting FAs.

12. Hey Now!

You're turning into a JFK conspiracist: if something happens outside your scope, just widen the scope. He's leaking to NE media, Houston media, now LA media..... guy gets around, doesn't he? I mean, for someone who routinely displays a visceral disdain for all things media, he really seems to have a much different opinion of it behind the scenes.

They did, publicly. They were far more gracious than the Broncos were when he left Denver.

Having said that, IF what is being reported is true, I have no issue with the Texans leaking that info. They made a colossal mistake, and it's good business to run damage control. Why do YOU have such an issue? Osweiler was terrible on the field; if he was equally terrible in the locker room - why are you so keen to excuse him? Poor guy....

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

I was actually not on board from the beginning, while people like you thought it was a great move and were defending him most of the year.

I'm not excusing him, I'm saying Bill O'Brien is a jerk.

14. Hey Now!

What does that have to do with your obsession with BOB supposedly leaking information at every turn?

OK. You still didn't address how you've once again tied a leak to BOB despite it coming from a completely new source/location. He's leaking to NE media, Houston, media, LA media - who does he NOT leak to?

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Can't wait to hear the leaks when O'Brien gets fired. I mean he has no hesitation leaking during the playoffs and the draft, so it's gonna be fun.

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

IIRC, when it went t*** up with Kubiack reports came out from both he and Smith about who draft the players vs who's played, trying to lay blame otw out...

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Smith leaks plenty.

There needs to be one guy driving the ship. I'd take the guy who's actually entrusted to coach the team, over the former cap manager.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is still the dumbest topic on CF... and that says a lot.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

After thinking it over many times, it has occurred to me that O'Brien really is the best coach for this team going forward. I think it's time we start giving him the respect that he deserves. Rick Smith as well. Yeah they have made mistakes, but they have always come through. I'm ready to tie them both down for more years.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

Bobbythegreat and J.R. like this.