1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill O'Brien out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This thread ... SMH

I keep thinking that McNair is hiring OBie just so he can fire OBie the next day.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Doesn't matter, Brian.

9-7 division champs, Brian.

J.R. likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

9-7 is not the bar Brian.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Winning the division is the bar. If the Texans wanted to they could have been 10-6 last season, but they wanted to rest people heading into the playoffs instead. Apparently winning 10 games was what was important, who knew?

5. raining threes

If you read up thread apparently BOB did, of course a poster said that was just BOB covering his butt. So believe what you want. But the FA inactivity when the rest of the NFL is being active speaks volumes.

Joshfast likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This proves it. Bill O'Brien is anti-quarterback.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Funny that the biggest investments we've made from a money and draft pick standpoint has been to sign and get rid of Brock.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Believes Mahomes will be there at 25; BOB stuff around 9:30:

http://sports790.iheart.com/media/play/27750092/

http://sports790.iheart.com/onair/t...ike-florio-believes-mahomes-will-be-15780206/

#809 zeeshan2, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Bill O'Brien hating coaching the Texans is the worst kept secret in the NFL.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't have time to listen...did Florio say there was any indication as to why BOB hates coaching in Houston?

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't doubt this at all. I think he likes his players, this city and most of the fans but hates everything else about this franchise.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick Smith & Bill O'Brien - what feel do you get for where things stand with O'Brien?

There were some comments from Bob McNair that didn't get national attention they should have. I viewed them as ominous. It became inescapable. I was hearing from people throughout the league over & over again Bill O'Brien hates it in Houston. I have people I know that I trust saying he hates it there. Never heard it from Bill, Rick or anyone in the organization but outsiders who know O'Brien or know of him, they're convinced it's not working, it's not a fit. He's doing a good job selling everything's fine. He's controlled any internal fire that may be brewing but it got to the point that too many people were saying it's a recipe for something. When McNair said what he said, it was the most tactful way possible of confirming there is some dysfunction & it all needs to get resolved after this season.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I think the word "management" would figure prominently in that answer.

Nook and charlieaustin like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

A) What comments?

B) Well that certainly sounds legit

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

We'll see where things are after this season, what O'Brien is/isn't happy about.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Bill is an above average but not great coach. He's done well in some respects, but obviously failed offensively...
    Some of which might just not be attributable to him.
    Everyone I think would prefer new GM and probably new ownership... but neither of those are likely to happen.
    That being the case, and given the likely 9-7 rinse, wash, repeat, it both sides move on, that's fine.

Of course the only way for O'Brien to change this, is to demand his man, and have that work out, and therefor get more leverage and control, and oh by the way have a more successful team. Meaning, if the rumors of him LOVING Mahomes are accurately, or loving any QB in this draft, or loving Savage, he basically has to chase that... otherwise divorce is inevitable

18. Buck Turgidson

Thanks, I missed that. I haven't been paying real close attention to the Texans offseason. Battle (red) fatigue I guess.

What a horsesh!t show that organization is.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Being that hes able to chase his own man this year, it still might be too late. 9-7 last year, with a realistic shot at being 11-5(raiders & last game of the year) with a faux qb forced on him is a pretty remarkable feat. Even if he has the chance to groom his guy, itll take more than a year and I dont think he'll have the patience to wait around with ricky always over his shoulder, unless big Bob tells him to back off. Im not super impressed by his offensive coaching style but man has he put together a hell of a staff and thats what an NFL team needs is a strong staff on all aspects. Not only does he have a strong staff, it seems like he delegates them well and thats why Im on his side of the fence throughout this whole ordeal. ricky makes it pretty easy to hate him.

charlieaustin likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Oh, yeah I'm definitely on the B'Ob side still.

I'm not amazed by his coaching. But it's solid enough to keep him around if they just had a top 15 at least signal caller.