1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien earned his keep tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 14, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What do you not understand about you cant try to get something not there?

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think I've landed here: Bill O'Brien is a good head coach - his teams play hard; they respond well to adversity; they win more often than they lose. And they've done so with an AWFUL collection of QBs.

Having said that, I do not think he owns a clue about running an NFL offense. If, like Kubiak (finally) did in '11 when he hired Wade Phillips, BO'B (or McNair/Smith) hired an independent, respected offensive mind and handed that side of the ball to him, I think the team would be infinitely better for it.

But watching the way BO'B deploys his personnel.... it's mind-bottling. Every Texan fan can see that Lamar Miller works best in space: someone like Andy Reid could turn Miller into a legitimate weapon. But BO'B has incredibly decided the best thing to do is run him between the tackles like he's a power back. It's that lack of imagination that floors me.

I'm hoping against ALL hope that he'll spend these extra few days redesigning his game plan to fit Watson's strengths. I will not hold my breath.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

One thing that absolutely blows my mind about BOB's offensive philosophy with Hopkins is the lack of movement via receivers pre snap. It is also something I loved about Kubes.

It really allows you at times to see man coverage/get defenders off press.

Need more pre snap to help Watson.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Absolutely.

Kubiak was indeed great at that. Anything to help Watson with the Patriots would be good. Question is, could Watson read it, and would the be able to fool him by following motion but still dropping into a zone? He may not be ready for that, but I'd like to see it.

5. theimpossibles1

Not gonna read through this thread so this has probably already been said.

The Texans barely squeak out a win over the worst team in football (mostly because of a broken play) and OP thinks that earns BOB his "keep?!"

I can see it now. OP is HR director of a retail store: "well Todd, you may have stolen company property, lowered morale and devalued the company year after year, but you did level out that uneven picture frame so you have earned your keep!"

J.R. likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I've landed here: he's a bad coach. Any success he has had is due to pre-existing talent from Kubiak and Crennel's defense. His personnel moves and schemes have been disastrous, which is why we we getten worse offensively every single year. It's a straight line down. He's not qualified to be anything more than QB coach, and that might be questionable.

He's also kind of a jerk, and I expect furious media leaks shifting blame.

8. texian

texian Member

This is what the NFL thinks of O'Brien...

Note the intentionally inserted "with what he's had to work with".

No offense, but I think 42 years coaching in NFL, 23 as a Head Coach, 7 rings, and a Hall Of Fame jacket waiting for him knows more about pro football/pro football coaches than whatever the local media is spewing out at the behest of Rick Smith.

Now the last time the NFL was right when all of Houston was wrong was last year regarding Brock Osweiler.

Before that it was Gary Kubiak -- he got his ring somewhere else, too.

Someday we'll learn to broaden our scope as to who's opinions we should value.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Here's Belichick on Osweiler last year

"He's strong, he's a big kid, stands in the pocket, he's athletic enough to run when he needs to. He's not the easiest guy to get down in the pocket. He has been really good with the deep ball. He has been really accurate. The game obviously runs through the quarterback like it always does with Bill; checks at the line of scrimmage, adjustments, things like that. I'd say Osweiler has done a good job of that. He gets them into good plays and you can see some of the audibles that he has called like the screen against Chicago, was a good call against the blitz that Fuller scored a touchdown on, things like that where he makes some checks, makes some decisions that looks like the plays he should've been going to and it's a good play so I think he is smart. He has got good command, good leadership, throws the ball well, and is a hard guy to tackle. He has done a good job for them."

You'd do well to believe nothing of what Belichick says about his opponents before a game.

J.R. likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be fair, Osweiler beat the Pats with the Broncos, and did a pretty good job in that playoff game until the INT. Brock was terrible, don't get me wrong, but some of his only good games came against the pats. (semi-good)

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well sure, Kubiak got a LOT more out of him than BOB could manage, but even then, Belichick was talking about games that season. He's got a long history of fluffing opponents leading up to the game and then destroying them. I wouldn't believe anything Belichick says leading up to a game unless I just knew for a fact it was true....even then it might give me pause if he said it.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Belichick didn't want to make OBrien his OC.

I'll pay attention to what he does rather than says.

13. conquistador#11

MIKE, MIKE, MIKE , MIKE THAT's THE MIKE!

can you identify mike?

(insert favorite mike)

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Collingsworth spent a lot of the early game painting BOB as this creative playcaller. It was funny listening to him trying to backpedal as the game went on while the gameplan didn't evolve.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you know anything about Belichick? All he does is blow sunshine about the team he is facing each week. Everyone knows it is a joke and not to take it seriously. He wants nothing he or his team says to ever be bulletin board material.

16. texian

texian Member

He went from offensive assistant to OC to offensive playcaller for the Patriots in 2 years. That's what Belichick did.

• New England Patriots[edit]
      After two seasons with Duke, O'Brien was hired by the New England Patriots on February 27, 2007 as an offensive assistant.

On February 21, 2008, O'Brien was promoted to wide receivers coach.[9] He became the quarterbacks coach and offensive play-caller following the 2008 season after the departure of quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

He was promoted to offensive coordinator in February 2011.

No Worries and TheFreak like this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Both O'Brien and Smith have been doing pretty good since they've been here. I actually think they have been working well together. A few mixups here there but still a good job. I think as fans we just like to complain and nitpick about everything.

Speaking of complaining, is it too late to hire a dam OC?!!!

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Whining about which crappy QB was benched/replaced at what time is the ultimate in just needing something to b**** about. I guess no one has heard of a bridge quarterback.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

If the Texans can make halftime adjustment then you can say he earned his keep.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If the Texans go 15-1