1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill o Brien: Texans did not consider drafting Manziel

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=houston-texans&id=6026&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FZ2ZjVCbDJJ%22%7D

Sounds about right. They probably weren't going to draft a QB early on anyways.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

I assume he's talking about the 1st pick.

Would be curious to hear what they have to say about trading up or if he was still there in the 2nd.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Epic thread?

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

i believe the question asked was if the texans considered trading up to get him when he was slipping

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/texans/embed/select/dZS3LrV3g4sr" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

7. Nook

Nook Member

TRANSLATION: "Nice kid, nothing personal, fun to watch in college, really good college player, not an NFL starting QB."

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Verdict is still out but I'm okay with not drafting him. Completely okay. With that said, we have 4 QB's on the roster than aren't NFL starting QB's.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Of course the verdict is out on Manziel, he may become a Pro Bowler, just means that BOB doesn't think he will be one.... I agree that we don't have an NFL starting caliber QB on the roster, but I don't think BOB wanted a 5th.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Tank another season, draft a qb in this upcoming draft, and become the team of the future.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Bill O'Brien has made it painfully clear throughout his talks that he is an old school mind when it comes to QB play. You won't see a Kaepernick, Wilson, Vick, or Manziel on this team. Pocket passers only need apply. Greg Cosell is squealing with glee.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

For you to say the verdict is still out on Manziel then turn around and say we don't have any starting caliber QBs is hypocritical.

We don't know if Savage has it in him or not, but you still have to give him as much of a chanxe as you do in the Manziel Project.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As should all Texans fans.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think they liked Bortles. Not at #1 obviously, but if he'd slipped like Johnny or Teddy then I think the Texans would've tried to trade up for him.

15. Remii

Remii Member

I actually believe O'Brien wanted to draft Blake #1 but couldn't justify drafting him and passing up on Clowney (and or McNair is the one who pushed for Clowney). Most Texans fans would have 5h1t a brick. But ultimately the Texans may end up regretting not pulling the trigger on Blake.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, because the ONLY WAY to get a great QB is to draft him at #1 overall.

Hey, if we tank every year, we can have the #1 pick every year! We can just tank our way right to a superbowl!

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

i think he meant his system. everything seems to be about "the system" in recent interviews/articles. that mantra can turn out to be frustating especially if there are to be lean times.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is a bit concerning . . . . ..

Drew Bledsoe 2.0? Dunno if that will work in the modern league

Rocket River

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not really.

Manziel has a lot of issues besides not being a traditional QB.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If his history is a predictor of what will happen, nobody will work harder than Johnny come training camp. Stay tuned...