1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Gates on people misunderstanding climate change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know many many vegans, including my sister - and not one has told me or pressured me to give up meat as an individual.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You'll be dead in 2150

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Nothing to do with it.

Excess - obvious
    Modern medicine - if you had any sort of health concerns until the modern period, you didn't live through it, you died. It was incredibly rare to be a generally unhealthy 50 year old.
    Carbs - the way our bodies simply evolved to process them doesn't make good in largish quantities.

pre-historic man ate whatever crap it could scrounge up, they existed on the permanent precipice of starvation, subsistence life and food standards aren't bedfellows. We have higher food quality than any other point in history, heck our grandparents ate crap with lead in it.

Sure? they'd eat whatever they found, unless it killed lots of them, then they'd create some social stigma about it, being active is beneficial, but you seem to be glamourizing what was fundamentally a terrible way to live.

BruceAndre and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

[​IMG]

The popular slogan, "He who does not work shall not eat," is attributed to Lennin (and printed in this poster) but he plagiarized it from St. Paul in 2 Thessalonians: "εἴ τις οὐ θέλει ἐργάζεσθαι μηδὲ ἐσθιέτω."

The only person I want telling me what to eat is a dietitian. Even my doctor admits nutrition was only lightly covered in med school.

5. Senator

Senator Member

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do we really want to say that "anyone who works at a hospital" can provide us with anything at all about cancer . . . or would we rather look to the cancer researchers at Sloane Kettering for information or insight?

7. Senator

Senator Member

If they both corroborate the same facts - cancer researchers and nurses who talk to thousands of patients about their lifestyle choices, pain etc., why should we choose? It's no different than what happened with cigarettes decades ago, lobbyists from big tobacco tried to shut down science, testimony and common sense for as long as possible.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

of course you're right. Experimental epidemiology is overrated. Research is overrated. Anyone who works at a hospital should be trusted, they know best.

9. Senator

Senator Member

You try too hard to be confrontational- your responses do not conflict with what I'm saying , the thread , or any links I've posted.

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

sometimes they do conflict. one of the links you posted above cited as an authority the American Heart Association, whose link to Ancel Keys has been thoroughly explored and criticized over the past 10-15 years. Some of your own arguments appear to me to be based upon what I consider to be discredited nutritional science. Moreover I am aware of recent cases of academic misconduct of researchers in the field of nutrition and public health whose own biases favoring vegetarianism and veganism led directly to them misrepresenting their findings and losing their academic positions. So I disagree that my responses do not conflict with what you're saying ( to the extent I understand what you're saying), or with this thread, or with links you've posted.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Word.

There is a real lack of leadership and cognition amongst the Green New Deal supporters.

They claim that vegetarian diets are too demanding but overhauling the entire fossil-fuel infrastructure of the US is totally doable...within 10 years, no less.

Something is off in their heads.

BruceAndre likes this.
  13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

There is a fascinating point here, about how we -- in essentially our cave man bodies today -- have problems because we don't live in the cave man environment anymore.

It's in our DNA to gorge out on food. That wasn't a bad thing when you gorged out, because you then didn't have much to eat at all over the next few days.

Now, we gorge out on food ......and then we gorge out again a few hours later. Thus the obesity epidemic.

Basically, most of our problems stem from the fact that we are walking around in the 21st century in our cave man bodies.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.