1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Gates on people misunderstanding climate change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Senator

Senator Member

This just shows you shouldn't be having this discussion.

It's like someone talking about baseball and saying they don't know what base hits are.

2. Senator

Senator Member

No, a food unnaturally made through chemicals, antibiotics, genetic modifications etc. will cause problems with the human system (which is organic and meant to take in things such). I'm not even touching on the whole animal cruelty aspect...

3. Senator

Senator Member

That's what I thought, back to your corner.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

modern day Luddites and Malthusians

green movement is about forced deprivation, controlling individual behavior, wealth redistribution

this thread is full of behavior modification schemes, presuming to tell others what they can and can't eat. scary if people like them ever get power

it's a very Soviet mentality

#24 Commodore, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    BruceAndre likes this.
  5. jcf

jcf Member

Interesting article:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...g-meat-bad-small-farm-good-it-s-not-so-simple

The article as a whole supports the idea that folks should eat less meat, but also makes the point that it is a very complex, nuanced issue. Surprisingly, the "industrially sourced meat" that you were discussing with @tallanvor and @Os Trigonum may in fact be more efficient in terms of protein production versus carbon emissions than smaller, locally sourced meat raised elsewhere in the world:

But that nuanced global perspective is missing from the conversation about meat production, Hererro says. When we think about the global environmental impacts, we tend to imagine industrial U.S. cattle or hog producers spewing emissions and waste into the environment.

But according to the PNAS paper, smaller producers in the developing world account for the most emissions from livestock, including 75 percent of emissions from cattle and other ruminants (like goats) and 56 percent from poultry and pigs. That's mainly because of the sheer number of animals — millions more than those raised in Europe and the U.S.

And when it's harder to feed animals, they also produce more emissions. For example, cattle scrounging for food in arid East Africa might release the equivalent of 1,000 pounds of carbon for every pound of protein they produce. Compare that with many parts of the U.S. and Europe, where a cow might generate about 10 pounds of carbon per pound of protein.

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

"You got that right. See, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy. Cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind if guy who wants to sit in a greasy spoon and think, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol. I want to eat bacon, butter and buckets of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in a non-smoking section. I wanna run through the streets naked with green Jello all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to. Okay, pal? I've seen the future, you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sittin' around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake singing "I'm an Oscar-Meyer Wiener". You wanna live on top, you gotta live Cocteau's way. What he wants, when he wants, how he wants. Your other choice: come down here, maybe starve to death."

jcf likes this.
  7. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

America is about freedom. Eat what you want, but its only the vegans you see pushing their views on others and then trying to get
    laws passed to force people into following their rules.

As an example you can't even buy fur in West Hollywood anymore?! Why is it that elite progressives always need to use the law
    to control others lives.

There is a fascism in both parties as extremism is just dangerous and foolish whether right wing or left wing.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At least people here are honest.

Doesn't bode well for future prosperity, but that was never guaranteed.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I get annoyed by my cousin's constant spamming of vegan guilt trip memes on facebook but it's pretty obvious by now that people who are on a vegan diet are healthier than the average population.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

That's not at all what Bill Gates said.

LOL. You realize they died a lot younger before they really had a chance to get heart disease, right?

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Only on the D&D will someone claim their freedoms are being taken away... as they live in West f-ing Hollywood.

How about not being able to walk to school safely or be able to find a place nearby to vote in the ghetto?? Go to a place like that where it is predominantly African American or Hispanic and b**** about not being able to buy a fur coat in West Hollywood.

13. Senator

Senator Member

He has said it on numerous occasions .. as he focused on his role in the B&M foundation and away from Microsoft -- it's not something that's up for debate.

If every organization is based on growth, resources are limited .. collapse is the only end solution and we have seen it time and time again

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190218-are-we-on-the-road-to-civilisation-collapse

#33 Senator, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  14. Senator

Senator Member

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

16. Senator

Senator Member

Meh, it's no different to people saying you can't do crystal meth or spray paint walls or not have rights if you deal drugs

For the longest time conservatives were seen as trying to control private pot smokers

Conservative or liberal, you can make that argument either way

17. Senator

Senator Member

This isn't about efficiency... and comparing sustainable farms to "arid East Africa". Of course arid East Africa has no natural prairie's for cattle to graze on so it will be highly inefficient, but a place like Montana is highly efficient. The systems in the developing world are not comparable to the US. You can take any point out of context , but with industrial meat you are reliant on antiobiotics, hormones, chemicals to give people a false sense of food security abundance.

18. Senator

Senator Member

Moderation isn't veganism. When making things up is your only argument, you are defensive and know you are in the wrong

Why is it that elite conservatives tried to tell pot smokers they were criminals?

As you can see, it's got nothing to do with the left or right.

Why should freedom be limited to food choices , why not drugs ? Would you mind if I sell cocaine or prescription drugs to your child? Why not violent behavior ? Free country with no common sense is not real freedom.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Given that the right still thinks that a snowstorm means climate change is a hoax, not sure what Gates is complaining about.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://www.cato.org/multimedia/cato-daily-podcast/us-dietary-advice-takes-another-hit#CatoHealth