1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest liar in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DeAleck, Mar 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Who's the biggest liar in the NBA? You know, the kind of guys that says things to the public but is usually lying? Kobe Bryant? Carlos Boozer? John Weisbrod?

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I blame the Boozer situation on the GM. Boozer got a nice contract and took it. That was a bone headed move by the GM. Then Paul Silas ends up getting fired. That organization has problems.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lying is a skill where you're only penalized when you get caught. I think Weisbrod is the worst liar, and Boozer is just greedy.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's a tough one. The winner would be someone in the spotlight; we can't nominate those we don't see lying.

And then it gets narrowed down to who we don't like.

So Kobe Bryant would stand out, don't you think?

Jim Grey: "Kobe, did you break up the Lakers as we knew it? Did you get Phil to leave and Shaq traded?" (paraphrase)

Kobe: (nose growing as he speaks; never blinks, gaze is steady) "That's not only ludicrous it's preposterous."

(nose begins to branch and flower)

"And as I like to always point out, I'm smart enough to actually know what 'ludicrous' means. Would you like me to say this in Italian, too?"

(birds start to land on nose) "Shaq has to feed his family, Shaq did what was best for him."

(never mind that the GM decided better to pay a young Kobe than an aging Shaq; better to go with rapist than dumba$$)

"And Phil, he chose to leave on his own."

(birds start to nest in his nostrils)

"Did you ever hear me say 'get Phil out of town or I'm gonna go to the Clippers? No, you didn't, Jim."

(Kobe casts bewildered look at camera and points at Jim Grey)

"Is it me or is it him? It's him, right?"

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's tough to beat Kobe.

Evan

6. RocketsFAN3035

I think it's definatly Kobe, GM Weisbrod a distant 2nd.

I don't buy Boozer as a liar. When did he EVER say on public record that he would resign with the Cavs?? Paxton told him they would decline his option so they could re-sign him to a bigger deal. But, I believe that is tampering isn't it (See McHale, Kevin-Smith, Joe). Boozer's option was declined and he received a better offer. Where exactly did he lie in all of this?

....maybe I'm just a stupid, biased Duke fan.....

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Boozer may not have lied, but it's 99.999% certain he and his agent deliberately mislead the Cavs.

I forgot, Kidd should be added to the list. He's thrown out as many denials as Ken Lay, and not just with the Nets.

Evan

8. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

You are at least naive if you believe the Cavs declined the team option without any promise from Boozer. The fact that it was tampering does not exonerate him. It only meant he was not only a cheat (broke the law by making a promise with the Cavs) but a liar as well (reneged on his promise)

9. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Most of the refs that call the Rox games. Either most of those guys are blind or they are just lying. ;)

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

how are the Cavs not a bunch of deceitful b*stards too
    I mean . . .
    I think the 1st OFFICIAL STAR CALL for LEBron
    \was the fact that the CAVS did not get
    the same treatment that the Timberwolves got
    for trying to be underhanded and move around the rules

Rocket River

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

David Stern, great guy, but you don't get into that position and somehow get the NBA to increase its appeal by telling truths.

12. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

What did he lie about?

13. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

off court: Kobe Bryant
    on court: Karl Malone

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Because the Timberwolves put the deal down on paper, in writing. Literally an illegal, signed agreement that was a complete slap in the face to the NBA and an outrageous lie in contrast to the contract that they turned in to the commisioner's office. It was a secret deal for 10 years, $93 million. Huge difference.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2000/09/14/wolves_cap_ap/

Boozer-Cavs is not the same as Smith-TWolves. Boozer-Cavs is closer to Taylor-Rockets and Shandon-Rockets than Smith-TWolves.

Boozer didn't do anything illegal ... he did lie, he did deceive. No question about it. No matter what you think about the Cavs wanting to get Boozer at "lower value" ... no matter what you want to speculate on that ... Boozer gave them assurances he did not plan on following through on. It's his integrity that is in question.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Steve Francis.

He said he does not know what to wake up to anymore but he has been waking up and coming to work most of the time since that trade over 8 weeks ago.

He obviously balls alone.

16. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

People critisize Boozer, and maybe justly. Quite frankly, we really don't know what was said and it obviously wasn't in writing.

But what i'm getting at here, is if you were Boozer and got your restricted free agent rights and out of nowhere Utah offers you 68 million dollars (Way over his worth), you wouldn't take it?:eek:

The NBA is clearly a business. For all Boozer knows, he could of resigned with Clevland for alot less, then get traded a year later for someone who better fits Lebron's game. Then Boozer would really look like an idiot. The teams aren't honorable anymore, so should the players bow to their mercey?

Heck, we signed Stevie (The Franchise) to a long term max contract and ditched him as soon as he was eligible to be traded. ;)

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'd got with Wilt Chamberlain followed in a distant second by Shawn Kemp.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Cavs are in the Same boat in my opinion

I have no doubt they promised Boozer the HOOK UP

Rocket River

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In basketball-related issues, Boozer by a mile. In media-related issues, Kobe Bryant.

20. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Boozer could take as much money as he is offered. If he had just waited for his contract to expire and made his deals. If he didn't think he could get the best contract from Cleve, he didn't have to sign with them.
    Once you make a promise and break it, you are in the wrong even if everyone else in the world is dishonest.

What did Houston trading Steve have to do with anything? Was there anything in his contract that said he could not be traded? Players get traded all the time. It's not like they get dumped to the street, their million dollar contracts are still honored.