1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bigg article at CBS Sportsline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, May 20, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7342978

Gritty Biggio has been in middle of everything
    May 19, 2004 By Charlie McCarthy
    SportsLine.com Staff Writer

Stuff like that could result in a Biggio plaque hanging at Cooperstown someday.

(((Who is MORE Cooperstown worthy: Bigg...or Bags???)))

MIAMI -- Catcher, second base, center field -- Craig Biggio has played them all. And well. And at the major-league level.

Talk about being strong up the middle. Can a stint at shortstop be in the calling?

"Don't worry about it," Biggio said with a laugh." I won't be playing that one."

Odds are the 38-year-old Biggio could fill the No. 6 hole adequately if he put his mind and glove to it. After all, he already has accomplished a ton, at least from an individual standpoint.

He has more than 2,500 career hits and four Gold Gloves. He has been on seven NL All-Star teams and has hit for the cycle. He holds the NL records for career leadoff home runs and number of times hit by a pitch. In 1998, he joined Tris Speaker as the only players in the 20th century to get 50 or more doubles and 50 or more stolen bases in the same season.

Stuff like that could result in a Biggio plaque hanging at Cooperstown someday.

"As an active player, you just go out there and play," Biggio said before the opener of this week's three-game series against the Florida Marlins. "We're just trying to get a World Series ring.

"Obviously this franchise, and myself, we've never won a World Series ring. That's the ultimate goal. And then if you want to toss in (the Hall of Fame), we'll see what happens."

Neither the Houston Astros nor Biggio, in his 16th season as an Astro, has won a postseason series, let alone the World Series. In fact, Biggio and longtime teammate Jeff Bagwell form baseball's version of John Stockton and Karl Malone.

Lack of a ring, however, has not prevented Biggio from earning respect and admiration throughout baseball.

"I think he's a winner, a guy who's always doing the little things to help you win a ballgame," said Marlins manager Jack McKeon, who attended Seton Hall more than a few years before Biggio.

"Whether it's getting hit by a pitch, or taking a bases on balls, or hitting one out of the ballpark, or making a key defensive play somewhere. He's a genuine pest."

Biggio didn't bother opposing teams the past two seasons as much as he had before. But after batting .253 in 2002 and .264 last year, he has made adjustments. First and foremost, he has shortened his leg kick.

"He has simplified things hitting-wise and I think it's helped him a lot," Astros manager Jimy Williams said. "He's able to get to a lot more pitches, and handle pitches in on him. His bat's quicker, and I think it's shown in his average."

Biggio entered Wednesday night's game batting .320 with 24 RBI and 29 runs. On May 8 against Atlanta's Horacio Ramirez, he got hit No. 2,500 -- something he attributes to his first position switch and the tutelage of former Astros coach Matt Galante.

"I think it was the switch to second base," he said. "The physical wear and tear of catching takes a toll on you. There were a lot of times, you'd go up there for your last at-bat ... not conceding the at-bat ... but you're gassed, you're tired.

"Would I be playing 17 years if I were catching? Nooooooooooo."

He also wouldn't be one of five players -- with Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Paul Molitor and Rickey Henderson -- to record 2,400 hits, 200 homers, 500 doubles, 300 steals and 1,000 walks.

And the way he's swinging, might hit No. 3,000 be in his future?

"I know I want to play this year and next year; we'll see where we're at after that," Biggio said. "If you still have the desire, and you can still go out there and play ...

"I think you get to the point where there's not a lot of people who get the opportunity to go for (No. 3,000). We'll re-evaluate it after next season, and go from there."

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I read this last night, he may not be a first ballot HOFer, but he will get in, IMHO.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great article...He definitely deserves the pub...HOF, don't know, but if he wins a ring, it'll cement all the things he does...

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

good article... although i'd prefer they didnt compare them to malone and stockton *cringes*

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who is MORE HoF worthy, Bigg or Bags?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Bagwell is more worthy. He is a lock in my opinion, although some here disagree, and I think Biggio is right on the cusp. He's got everything you want in a hall famer right down to his dirty helmet. The only question is will he be remembered long enough to get in.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

ESPN did something about guys playing now and their chances of going to Cooperstown. Bagwell was 9, Biggio was 10 as the biggest locks in baseball today. My question would be Griffey Jr.? He was the best player in baseball for the early 90s but was that enough?

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Is that an insult to our beloved Houston athletes?

9. deepellumrocket

I think it was well intentioned. The writer is obviously unaware of the hate that Houston sports fans harbor for that duo.

:mad: KM :mad: JS :mad:

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Well, there was a time in Biggio's career when he *MIGHT* have been the best all around player in baseball.

Not too many people can make that claim and put up the numbers he has over 16 years.

Bagwell is a lock in my opinion.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I think they are both 'cusp' players who, with rings and a great Series, would be over the top.

I think rings are overrated (see Kerr, Horry, Mario) but the question is will either/both gain entry?