1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Big news on the trade front

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SooneRockStro, May 4, 2000.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

As I reported a few days ago and then again today by Popeye, the Rockets are in serious talks. Popeye reported talks of swapping draft picks in a 3-way w/ Orlando and Vancouver and freeing Orlando of future pick obligations. I got my source to confirm this and another detail is that indeed Cato is involved somehow and most likely to Orlando. Once again, big news tonight as the Rockets eye Kenyon Martin, Swift, or Fizer.

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

GREAT news. It's good to see Rudy and CD are keeping up with improving the team. All 3 of those guys I think are potential star players. Even Fizer, because I know a lot of you don't like him. Did your source say anything about Mihm? If he didn't, to me that's a good thing. IMO, Mihm is more likely to be a bust than Fizer. Also, this must be a sign that Hakeem is coming back, because I don't think the Rockets would trade Cato without having a legit center. Did he say anything about us getting a player with the pick like a big man, or do we just get the pick? (since we gave up a player in Cato) Maybe Nikestrad's scenario with Doleac wasn't that far-fetched after all.

------------------

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thanx for the news.

SooneRockStro
    Will you get mad if the rockets dont take Najera with the lottery pick? [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

The Rockets main goal in this year's draft is to obtain a franchise big man, so I'm not surprised that they're looking at Martin, Mihm, Swift, Fizer, or Moiso. That's been known since the All-Star Break.

However, trading Cato puzzles me...why? Unless they are getting another young athletic center in return I see no purpose unloading Cato.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited May 04, 2000).]

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Cato's involved huh? What the hell are the Rockets going to do at the center position then??

If this goes down I hope we can somehow get Candi-man from L.A. somehow on the cheap. With the way our lineup is being shaped, we won't need alot of scoring from the 5 spot, just some tough defense.

------------------
    We're going to miss you Chuck! Thanks for all the memories!

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well if we do let Cato go, we can look in the free agency and try to get a center. How about John Amechie?

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

It's not like Cato's numbers are irreplacable.

Venson Hamilton?
    Tyrone Washington?

free agents:
    Adonal Foyle?
    Jelani McCoy?
    Todd McCulloch?
    Brad Miller?

38th pick:
    Dan McClintock?
    Mamadou N'Diyae?

8. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

ahem!....there's Hakeem!!! He ain't in the ground yet, folks.

------------------

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I was kind of confused on the Cato part, but my source said that definitely we would not give up Cato for chump change and would ask for more than just swapping picks. We could possibly get Orlando's 13 pick out of it somehow. Right now no deal is in place or near in place and negotiations are ongoing. So it'll be tough to get anything ironclad, but my source did say the Rocks were trying to move Cato in the deal.

Francis3: Najera isn't a first rounder anymore. His stock dropped in the desert camp and I think the Rocks could get him at 38 if nobody in front of us in the 2nd round take him.

------------------