1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Game, Small World

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman95, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm currently reading this outstanding book by Alexander Wolff about various countries/cultures and their relationships with basketball and I came across a passage I'd like to correct the author on, if possible.

We all know that Abdul-Jabbar's skyhook is one of the all-time greatest shots. In the book, Wolff states that Kareem said that the shot had never been blocked, but I was sure that former Rocket Bill Willoughby blocked on in the early 80s. Can someone give me a specific date? Thanks.

Also, good section on Yao Ming and China.

2. benvolio

benvolio Member

I've always heard that about Willoughby too, but I can't remember the date. But I do know that Hakeem has blocked it too! I think the 'never been blocked' is simply run-of-the-mill sports hyperbole. Translated it means 'very rarely been blocked'.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I thought Hakeem was the only player to have ever blocked the skyhook.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Willoughby blocked it. I saw that game. I believe Hakeem also blocked it, which I didn't see. I think Willoughby's block was probably the first, so it was a big deal.

5. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Isn't there a poster with Ralph Sampson blocking Abdul-Jabbar? It has something on the poster but I can't remember what is says.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

There was a poster of Kareem going up for a rebound but Sampson was going to win the rebound by just a little and the poster read, "How does it feel to be 7'2" and just a little too short?"

I think Dream was also in the poster but I don't ever remember a poster of Dream or Ralph blocking Kareem's Sky Hook although I know one of them did in the play-offs in 86.

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

i specifically remember ralph blocking kareem's skyhook in the 86 playoffs. dream was guarding kareem and ralph came from behind akeem :eek: and blocked the skyhook. jaw dropping.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So, we have eyewitnesses for Willoughby's block and Ralph's block. Any wintness for Hakeem"s block? Or did Hakeem really make the block?

BTW, Ralph probably had one of the highest verticle reaches in NBA history. He's 7'4", had long arms, and got great hop.

9. Ryoga Hibiki

Ryoga Hibiki Member

I've seen a video of Wilt blocking a young kareem.

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I also saw Willoughby's block of Kareem's skyhook. He was between Kareem and the basket, near the right side baseline. It was positively awesome.

Willoughby was an example of great athletic ability, but mediocre basketball player. I believe he was listed at 6'8". Incredible leaper.

11. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I think I saw Hakeem's block. My memory says it wasn't that spectacular though. Hakeem just went up with Kareem and tipped the ball. That particular sky hook had fairly low trajectory as I recall.

Ralph did have some reach. One picture that stays in my mind is the one when he went up with two hands slapping the backboard, one on each side of the basket.