1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Baby?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by burlesk, Mar 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I don't trust anyone with weight issues in college. They have extremely bad track records in the NBA. He's running miles during a game in college and has access to some of the best trainers in the world. Yet is still overweight.

Why would that change in the NBA? A big Paycheck? If he was in good shape now he could be a top 15 or maybe lotto pick. I'm not blaming him, necessarily, maybe it's just bad genetics.

Because of this, he WILL slip to the 2nd round.

2. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

I think Big Baby could be a decent to solid roleplayer at the NBA level, but the fact is... is that we don't need another Power Forward. I think Hayes is our guy of the future because of how talented he is and may ultimately become on defense, plus if he works on that layup some more he could become a bit of an offensive threat too.

If Davis somehow fell to us in Round 2 though... I think it would be wise to pick him up.

3. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

The guy is 6'8 or 6'9 which is a giant compared to Chuck Hayes. He doesn't have the long wing span but he has strength and guys with strength Shaq, barkley, etc do quite well. It also great that everybody is labeling him a bust and a late second before he steps in the league, he will come to work with a chip on his shoulder out to prove everybody wrong. I would definately take him in the second round. This guy has thought he would be a lottery pick since high school now all that has changed, think swagger.

4. jl3forprez

jl3forprez Member

note- big baby was just spotted at baskins robbins crying about how he c

5. jl3forprez

jl3forprez Member

can never win the big game

6. jl3forprez

jl3forprez Member

the guy also has 0 vertical so just think clarence weatherspoon

7. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

As someone who frequents Baton Rouge... Trust me big baby is worth the risk... he was playing football the year of the youtube clip in the thread. He lost 45 lbs after comitting fully to basketball and not football he's a funny guy and reminds me alot of Shaq when he came out of college... I dont think he'll be a bust but then again i dont expect him to be elton brand either

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I am actually a Big Baby fan. I love listening to him in interviews he's a smart guy. I don't think he will be a bust at all and I agree he's no Elton Brand. I think he will be a solid player though and I think he, like most guys, has room to improve from the college level, especially on defense.

I feel sorry for him.. he had a rough year on and off the court, so I think he will be ready to work for whatever team that chooses to pick him up. He could be a JVG-type player, because he is a hard worker, and he's typically not a problem player.

I don't know that the Rockets would really have a spot for him unless someone else goes the way of trades or FA... ie Juwan or Chuck.

BTW, I don't hate on him... I just love watching that clip of Chuck going around him! lol :)

9. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

If it were tag team wrestling i'd be all for it, between him and Yao thats over 600lbs of beef in the paint at different levels of hardness and size, that would be quite an obstacle course,

of course that being said its a slow plodding type, and i dont think thats the best matchup around Yao, i think a better fit would be an Anderson Varejao type or Tiago Splitter, u know like a chuck hayes plus 4 inches, not terribly skilled, but can hit around the basket, rebound and do little things. I think Big baby can do some of these things, but he is still short, and will be to slow with an already slower yao out there.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He should go to the NFL. He'd be a better nose tackle in a 3-4 defense than an NBA player.

11. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Whats the best way to put this... Basketball is his first love he only played football at LSU because thats what he had his scholarship for (if he came out in the nfl draft he would be at least a 3rd round pick btw)... And as we speak he's on a strict diet and is training for better conditioning... long story short he has limited atheleticism due to the fact weight is a big factor when it comes to the NFL... Big Baby will be a beast in the league and will be a helluva lot better than say... Shelden "My head is taller than Tyron Lue" Williams.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think I would go for him, if he still avaliable in the 2nd Round. I think he could actually be a gem in the draft. You can't make a conclusion about any player unless he has been in the league a good 5 to 6 seasons, and has been in different situations.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Uh, I think we concluded that Magic, Bird, Dream, and Jordan would be pretty good after the first few games of their rookie seasons.

14. Asian Sensation

Zach Randolph?

Sean May?

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've been mulling over the coaching change all day (and into the night), and this is the one name that keeps coming back to me. Is there a better "Adelman-type" player in the draft (especially where the Rockets will pick) than Glen Davis? He runs the court well, he's able to create off the dribble, his court vision is exceptional, he's smart, and he can shoot. Weaknesses: defense and ability to finish. It's taking some time to get into an Adelman mindset, but I think Big Baby would be a great choice. (Especially since the power forward position in free agency is even worse than the point guard situation.)

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If doesn't end up gaining 50 more lbs in his first 2-3 NBA seasons, he might make it. But as stated before, Big Fatty will be fighting weight problems like former drug addicts and former alcoholics continuously fight what took them down. It's a lifelong battle that I bet he loses sometime during his NBA career.

17. E Wizzle

E Wizzle Member

Weatherspoon was in the Dunk Contest one year and carried the nickname Baby Barkley for a few years. Fatso had hops before he got old.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If he can lose weight at LSU he can lose it in the pros! He is in great shape right now! Excellent shape. Unfortunately that doesnt solve his weak rebounding and defensive problems, and lack of low block impact.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That shows how much you know....
    Weatherspoon jumped out of the gym...

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He won many big games with Tyrus Thomas, and was their leading scorer and rebounder...