1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

TF is bigger than the school.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Papas vs Goode Company vs Landry's

which is the best?

3. Buck Turgidson

That's a pretty piddly-ass school then. I mean Rice's endowment alone is over $5B.

Smokey and lnchan like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Goode Co Seafood on Westpark wins hands down for me solely because of their seafood gumbo, oysters rockefeller and campechana. His Taqueria around the corner wasn't bad either, good breakfast/brunch spot iirc.

tinman likes this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Anything having to do with the Landry brand is terrible, the absolute worst crap

6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Pappas solely due to their desserts and because Greek power.

7. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I like GC Taqueria but they don't do a very good job of keeping it clean unfortunately. The old man ran things better than his son.

8. Buck Turgidson

That's a shame, I used to hit both of those often when I lived around there but haven't been in almost 10 years.

Speaking of Greek power, have you been to Helen? I've heard great things and it's near the top of my list of new places to hit next time i'm in town.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't knock the baked stuffed crabs at Goode Co. Seafood until you've tried 'em.

10. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Agreed that it's a shame. And yes, I have. I really liked the grilled feta-brined chicken. They have a nice selection of wines as well. Parking is tough but it is for most places in that area.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was at the GC Taquiera over the holidays, it was delicious and I got slice of chocolate pie too.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Helen Greek goes HARD. Now THAT is an actual REAL place to eat.

13. Buck Turgidson

Thank you, someday let me buy you drinks.

What about Saltair?

14. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Anytime. And I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list. My favorite reliable shrimp dishes are at Cafe Chino off the Southwest Freeway at Edloe in all honesty. They have a great shrimp chow fun dish and a very good shrimp with broccoli and brown sauce dish. Both reasonably priced and you get a lot of good-sized shrimp. The owner is a very solid guy and a hard worker. He used to be in the Rice area but they jacked the rent way up. His old spot still isn't even occupied the last time I checked.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Blaming Boren is a copout because he didn't force other schools to agree to pursue expansion. The Big 12 will explode and die off after the GORs expires anyway so it is a moot point.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Saltair is MEH.

17. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Wish Arthur Ave was just as good with Italian but disappointing.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

helen earns all the praise thrown its way... great restaurant.

also agree with goode co seafood, especially the oysters and campechana. goode jr did a good(e) job with the armadillo expansion. taqueria is alright, and everyone knows how overrated the que is but damn those pies.

edit: the best grilled shrimp in the city belongs to pappa's seafood, particularly little pappa's on shepherd. hot damn that shrimp is incredible. the single best shrimp dish i've had in the city is the shrimp a la plancha at state of grace.... good god. Saltair is alright.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sorry to break up the restaurant party...

Bitten from another BBS where a guy keeps a running tally of tv ratings for CFB in Houston and nationally

4 Games from this week made it into the Top 25.
    - Michigan-Ohio State game drew a massive national rating and came in 6th in Houston for the year
    - Coogs-Memphis game is the 12th highest, and 2nd highest Coog game, this year
    - LSU-A&M is the 22nd highest game this year
    - Auburn-Alabama is the 25th highest game this year

Coogs have 6 in the Top 30 (Navy & Tulane Games didn't register due to being on CBS Sports Network)
    - Alabama has 6 in the Top 30
    - A&M has 5 in the Top 30
    - UT has 4 in the Top 30
    - LSU has 3 in the Top 30
    - Tennessee has 3 in the Top 30
    - Oklahoma has 3 in the Top 30
    - No other school has more than 2 in the Top 30

[​IMG]

TL;DR - Coogs are basically free money for ESPN right now

#1859 DonnyMost, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  20. HTR99

HTR99 Member

It sounded like that would be the case of the conference dissolving after they decided not to expand but how realistic is that?

-That conference is getting massive P5 money from both ESPN and Fox.
    -They're about to get additional money for not expanding and having a conference championship game next season.
    -Texas and Oklahoma run the conference. If they leave, going elsewhere means an even more difficult task to be included for a spot in the CFP. A schedule filed with the little 8 or going through SEC/Big Ten schools week in and week out?
    -The little 8 are happy with their P5 checks and won't go against the wishes of Texas & Oklahoma. If the big boys leave, "they'll be like the Mountain West Conference"
    -Texas is getting paid for the abysmal LHN.

Yes, they are perceived as being completely dysfunctional but I believe all 10 schools know what they're doing and will continue to serve their own benefits.