1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley's defense is a fraud

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, Nov 30, 2016.

?

Is Beverley's defense overrated?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Harden's beard

When Beverley was out of the line-up, our team defense was somewhere around 20th, not great but not atrocious either.

Since his return,

- Our defense tanked to 4th worst in the league

- Beverley has the worst defensive rating among all of our players :

117.1 according to basketball reference

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/beverpa01/on-off/2017

113.7 according to nba.com

http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612745/players-advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=1

- Out of three Houston line-ups that played more than 50 minutes together, the one that includes Beverley has by far the worst defensive rating at 122.4. Other two is at 106.0 and 100.2

- When Bev is on the court, our opponents are shooting 48.7% FG and 39.8% 3PT, the worst among any Rockets player

- When Bev is off the court, that number drops to 45.9% FG and 37.6% 3PT

- Beverley's DRPM is -0.89, worse than Harden & Ryan Anderson

Call me crazy but I see a pattern here and it's not a good one. I'm so sick and tired of people saying he's a good defender when he's not. He hasn't been the last two to three years, and it's time to seriously re-evaluate whether we should keep him or not.

#1 Harden's beard, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You're clearly an agenda based poster. You've trashed Ariza, Bev and others. So I will indeed call you crazy

Beverley has more championships than most on this roster. Never forget.

Taco Bell Pollo Loco Gold Championship[​IMG]

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

but but but... he has a heart of a champion, and does smear and smudges to opponents ,he is basically Westbrook minus the scoring,rebounding and assists

Wapzoe, hakeem94 and ramotadab like this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's Beverley.

jbasket and heypartner like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol he rides one person. Harden's beard should be changed to Harden's...

6. Harden's beard

I rarely trash Ariza, I think he's a good player overall. Beverley OTH is clearly overrated, he clouds people's judgement with his defensive showmanship like when he seems like putting a lot of pressure on a player he's guarding, but more often than not it results in that player just breezing past Beverley for an easy lay-up.

#6 Harden's beard, Nov 30, 2016
    hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Harden's beard

Our defense got A LOT worse since his return, got anything to say about that?

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah my bad. I stand corrected and take that back. I confused you for the other poster Hardentime who created this thread. Y'all have similar names and posts.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/trevor-ariza-sucks.278522/

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Harden's beard

LOL, that's a good way of putting it

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe we just played better teams? (genuinely asking)

Btw i actually think he played pretty well this season, i'd say certainly better than last two years, our defensive problems lies in other players imo.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I say, sample size.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

do you really expect one player to make some tremendous difference on a team that doesn't put defense are their first priority. If you actually did then please rethink that because it's not happening. All you've pointed out is basically Beverley isn't the same defender he once was and anyone that has followed this team closely clearly knows that. what he did do was add actual depth to this roster since his return and that's something the Rockets haven't had in a very long time. Someone who does the little things to help win ball games and every team in the league needs that

13. Harden's beard

Offensively not really, the only teams that were somewhat good offensively were Portland (8th) and Toronto (5th). Other teams like Utah, Detroit, Sacramento are bad to mediocre offensive teams.

Exiled likes this.
  14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I've been critical of Bev and I do believe his defense is overrated as well but the main thing he brings to the table is he plays with an edge this team needs. The main player on this team, Harden, lacks a consistent competitive fire and Bev is really the only player who brings that edge every single night. I think the edge Bev plays with can be inspiring. I think Harrell has that edge too but doesn't really get much playing time.

Amel likes this.
  15. Harden's beard

This is basically a scientific experiment. We got a control group (our defensive performance as a team when Bev was out) vs a variable (including Beverley into the mix) and the result has been horrifyingly bad. Only an ignorant and irrational person would ignore this glaring effect.

#15 Harden's beard, Nov 30, 2016
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

True, but we were actually destroying the Kings with great defense (and i remember Pat making some great plays), then we just give it up cause we were up 30 so, i wouldn't count that game that much, the others ok, but we were also in a kind of bad slump as a team during those games, Harden was playing really bad and so was the team obviously so i don't know...

RocksMillenium likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I guess the most intelligent people use 7 games as the best sample size to reach conclusions. Man you're so smart. And in this span they are 5-2. Rockets need to hire you as their consultant for lineups plz

RocksMillenium likes this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sorry, doesn't pass the common sense test.

He is a PG, the least important defensive position.

And it is an extremely small sample size.

Sometimes teams just get hot and make a bunch of shots.

True Rocket likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's a difference between uncontrolled and controlled tenacity. And with Bev it is far too often uncontrolled. Not in the flow of an overall scheme, etc.

How a guard rotates is far more important than pressure d on the ballhandler. NBA scrub guards can handle pressure d anyway.

Can't comment on Bev specific this year and the sample size is small and teams played have been more offensive focused, etc. but no he isn't a great defender.

And of course never underestimate the impact of making your opponent work and think offensively. When the opponent isn't putting in so much effort themselves defensively they just are more comfortable. With Gordon, the opposing guards have to be way more on their a game defensively....

Harden's beard likes this.
  20. Harden's beard

Your reading comprehension skill is almost as bad as Beverley's defense, the topic of discussion here is our team defense since Beverley's return and nothing else. We won some games lately purely by outscoring opponents - which I don't think Bev contributed that much.

#20 Harden's beard, Nov 30, 2016