1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

better defender, maxwell or battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Jun 11, 2009.

1. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

battier is one heck of a defender but mad max controlled jordan like no other. who do you think is the better defender 1 on 1?

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Max was the better on ball defender due to his athleticism, Battier the better team defender. I'd still take Battier based upon the other baggage Max would bring, he could shoot you out of games, Battier stays within the system.

3. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

if the rox are leading and kobe takes the last shot, i'd rather have maxwell. battier is a better team defender.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While it's close, purely from a defensive standpoint, I'd take Battier. You have to remember that Maxwell played in an era where hand-checking was allowed. Battier has to guard the top offensive players in an age where he can't put a finger on them when they're facing the basket. Who knows how Mad Max would have fared under today's rules. Probably pretty well, but Battier has proven to be an elite defender even under today's tough rules.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

battier can un-shoot you out of games too...sometimes i tear my hair out at his lack of aggressiveness with shooting the ball. the guy's not a scrub on offense but he acts like he is.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great post.

if battier was allowed to hand check, i don't think anyone would ever get around him.

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This. Max was like a young Artest, quick and strong one on one.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ask michael jordan

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That's true, and a much better comparison. But Max was 6'4", 190, and Ron is 6'7", 245. Max wasn't nearly the physical specimen that the Tru Warier is. Played with the same kind of heart, though.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. tinman

Supporting Member

that also translates to speed and quickness.

Ron Artest is more versatile though, he can guard the 3 and 4. However, if I had to choose one to guard a 2 or a 1, that would be Maxwell.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

i'll take shane for the guy who will take charges from anybody.

however, on offense, this guy was the better ball handler

[​IMG]

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Not to denigrate Max's defensive abilities, but let's not underestimate the effectiveness of hand checking that was allowed in Max's day.

Eliminating hand checking was huge.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They are totally different. Mad Max is much shorter than Shane. He could guard people that shane could not.

15. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Maxwell was good, but Battier is much smarter. He studies stats and knows players tendencies. Maxwell relied on his instincts, similar to Ron.

16. ThaShark316_28

See, this was what I'm talking about...an original thread.

Props.

Anyway...I agree with the hand checking thing...I always wonder how the league would be now if the 90s defensive rules were around.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

On the other side, Maxwell dropped 51 points in one game, including 30 points in a one quarter WITH HANDCHECKING.

He would drop 61 points in that game without handchecking.

Also, when they changed the hand check rule in 95,
    an older Kenny Smith dropped some serious scoring vs the Jazz and Magic.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh,
    you mean a thread that doesn't contain the words "IF" and "TMAC"
    :rolleyes:

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

+1 Shane and Ron would be even better defensively with the old rules, I do think that Ron would probably benefit more because of his stronger upper body and more agressive techniques. Shane is already great at funneling offensive players towards the help defense, If he was allowed to hand check it would make him that much more effective.

20. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

sometimes your best defense is your best offense and mad max would take it to the hoop or shoot a deadly three (clutch 3's were amazin) . yeah battier was your schooled disciplined defensive elite but mad max could lite up for 30 in a quarter and gave fits to jordan and miller on both ends of the floor.
    [​IMG]