1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Call Saul Season 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love the show too. I actually prefer the 'day in the life' type shows/movies that are more character driven. I don't really have any interest in the non-stop action summer blockbuster type shows/movies.

For instance, I'd rather watch Boyhood than any of these empty superhero movies that seem to come out every month.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

For me, I love shows that try to tell a story within the main story. Much like Mad Men, and even Breaking Bad, the overlying themes all have a sub-current that pulses within each episode. The entire first episode was trying to show the similarities between all the people revolving around Jimmy in that every one of them is detail-oriented and obsessive about even menial things in their lives. Chuck was meticulous about this entire plot to trap Jimmy (feigning depression, obsessing about the foil panels in his house, making sure Ernesto heard the tape, etc), Kim is meticulous about making sure everything goes exactly right in her new foray into private practice (obsessing about punctuation, ensuring that Jimmy's clients get taken care of properly, etc), and Mike is methodical in literally everything he does (taking apart his car piece by piece, tracking the cartel members with the sniper rifle, replacing the transmitter in his car with a new one without tipping them off, etc). It's been fascinating to watch it play out.....especially when you know how quickly things happened in Breaking Bad. I think that's what they're going for.....the dichotomy and methodology of all their lives before Walt White, and the chaos that ensued after he shows up.

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes he did find it in his black car. At one point when he left his job in the middle of the night he took the cap off and left if there and then left the parking lot open to go meet the Vet.

CCity Zero and Tomstro like this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Thank you. I haven't had a chance to rewatch and it was kinda driving me crazy.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Believe me, I read the same type of "where's the action?" comments all the time on Amazon when I'm purchasing DVDs of the classics like Taxi Driver, 2001, Midnight Cowboy, etc. And as much as I like action movies (Spectre) and slapstick comedies (Hangover), there is a prominent time and place for more character-driven films like McCabe & Mrs. Miller and more intellectual comedies like Annie Hall.

But we're in an age where the average amount of time for any screen shot is 6 seconds. That's it- 6. Used to be 10, or 15, or even 30 seconds depending on the scene. This is the hyper-drive society we live in. It's a wonder that Better Call Saul has survived at all- I suppose the BB connection is partly to credit for that.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Chuck looks happy

2 1/2 minutes. :)

GRENDEL, Uprising and CCity Zero like this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I love the pace and this is one of a couple shows that I don't do anything else while I'm watching it. Didn't even check my phone while he was painting over the rainbow.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dammit!!! I've been got! :)

I get your point. And as I've noted I still like and will watch the show. I'm only trying to be fairly critical. There's slow well developed and exciting storylines. And here's stuff moving at glacial speed.

As someone else said, absent Breaking Bad existing this show is probably one that I don't keep in my daily schedule. I find myself dropping shows more and more since there are so many truly truly good ones now.

Again I'm not dripping this one and am still invested.... but it is funny you bring up waking dead since it seems to have turned into the same problem. So so so much slow, repetitive, character driven scenes.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, TWD should just stick to action... It can't do character development like BrBa or BCS, and when they try... I'm at the point where I couldn't care less if TWD just ended/disappeared :)

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

See they have you just where they want you; they'll hit us with FTWD for another season and we'll beg for TWD back by years end...

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So true!

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

how exactly do those trackers work?

like how does the positional information from the tracker on the car get transmitted to the monitoring device?

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Glad it's back and Mike is one smart dude, just puts it into perspective how Walt came along and outsmarted them.

I do not think it is wise to carry out an entire show as a slow burn, they know they won't ever live up to BB but we're on season 3 for crying out

14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The gas cap part confused me a bit. Mike is looking for the transmitter on the station wagon he took to do the shooting. What made him realize the transmitter was on the gas cap of his sedan at home?

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The fact they found his station wagon right before he was going to fire that shot, he knew he'd been followed somehow..

16. Chilly_Pete

Right, but how was he sure it was on the gas cap?

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Hmm, bc he looked everywhere else but there when he took the burner car apart...?

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  18. Chilly_Pete

I guess, but he didn't take apart the sedan. So it could have been anywhere on that car. I guess he just got lucky.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he figured if they put it in the cap in one car . . .and it worked for them . . .
    people are lazy and generally go with what is working

Rocket River

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  20. Chilly_Pete

I gotcha, I didn't catch the part where he found it in the station wagon. He started to take apart the gas cap at the self service place, but they never revealed what he found. When I saw him take apart the one on his car in front of his house, I figured he didn't find it in the station wagon. It makes sense that they would have put a transmitter in both cars.