1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Curious what data they're collecting on card holders and how they're using it.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Why with the 90 dollar up front sign up fee thats basically kills the deal for me. I have the $10 plan and that would mean I would have to continue using the card for 2.5 years to start saving money on the $7 month plan. The difference of $3 a month doesnt really mean much. Right now I have no idea if moviepass will even last that long with theaters chains getting upset and all. Its a great service once you are able to get it (customer service is horrible for them)

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

can't believe it's going to be 5 yeas in Jan since we've discussed it, the first movie I saw with mine was The Last Stand with Arnold Schwarzenegger and have had 3 Fast/Furious movies since, lol

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yea, I don't think this is an issue at the moment, but could be a concern down the line no doubt. Either way...the subscription itself has been worth it.

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Signed up for this a few weeks ago. Still haven't received the card and customer service hasn't responded to my request. Unfortunately all the theaters that are eligible for eTicketing on Movie Pass are like 10+ miles away from my apartment, so I've only been able to get out and see one movie.

So far it doesn't seem worth it if they can't get me the card.

6. Dave2000

Weird, my dad got one like 2-3 weeks ago and got his card about a week after he signed up

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Been meaning to followup/message you about how your latest iteration has been with this service. Has the prepaid card trick worked?

8. Dave2000

I'll PM you :D

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Man, contacting their customer service via phone was so much better than going through their online system. It would help if they provided the phone number anywhere on their website. Had to find it on Reddit.

Dave2000 likes this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't get why theaters would be upset. Seems like it would be a big boost to them unless they had their own subscription based service.

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I have my card, go to a movie theater, check in, buy my ticket for future date. Rinse Repeat every day until I am ready to watch my movie with x amount of people. If I take my wife, I just go the day before, buy her ticket for the next day, then the next day get my ticket. Easy.

Dave2000 likes this.
  12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Have had it since they went to the $10/model. Finally convinced my brothers to get it. My wife doesn't like going to the movies unfortunately so I go with my brothers all the time.

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They've fallen prey to the same thing that killed Blockbuster. Complacency.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Complacency killed Blockbuster? I don't see how you can say that unless you mean they should have turned into Netflix. I know they tried to start Redbox kiosks, but were too late to that party.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Blockbuster passed on the chance to buy Netflix for $50 million which means they didn't see the long-term value in Netflix's product. It's fine, old companies die out all of the time for being resistant to change.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd argue that they provide an inferior product to at-home Netflix and they've allowed other movie goers to ruin visiting a theater. It'll cost you close to $40, before any snacks, to see a movie. Unless you go to Alamo (who seems to be following their own rules less and less these days), you're risking sitting next to somebody who will either talk or text throughout the entire movie. That experience sucks and isn't worth the cost anymore.

17. The_Yoyo

depends on the demographic of the customers using movie pass. The big monetary selling point MoviePass has for the theaters is that the theaters are still making their ticket sales and that more customer means more concessions. I dont know how much that actually means though on the concessions. Pretty much everyone I know that has a movie pass rarely buy concessions when going to see a movie with MoviePass (oddly enough though when they do go see a movie without movie pass in Imax, 3d etc they will buy a drink and/or popcorn) The people I know that use movie pass to its fullest (meaning 2-3 movies a week) never buy concessions they say or if they do its from the theater loyalty points they've accrued from using movie pass.

Theaters do not make much money at all from ticket sales its primarily from concessions. If now a large amount of people are coming in more frequently but not buying concessions at the same rate then it will hurt theaters. They still need to staff up and have that overhead.

18. The_Yoyo

I haven't really thought about this aspect of it. I am not saying that going to a movie should be an exclusive event, but it is a luxury for everyone. Its also traditionally not a cheap venture either. Now with the cost of going to theaters being reduced a lot more people can afford to go movies which to me is a good thing. When that happens though you have a lot of people who do not appreciate the value of going to the theaters, since its not 10-15 bucks for them to see a movie its like 2-3 bucks (if average MP customer sees 1 movie per week) so its not a big deal to see a movie again if they have to. Fortunately I have not had that experience yet on a consistent basis (I've had assholes sit next to me at the movie even before movie pass), but I generally also go to the late night showing during the middle of the week to avoid crowds as it is for this reason.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I actually forgot about that. Netflix would not be what it is if that had happened.

Dave2000 likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Overhead doesn't really change for the theater, especially when the person isn't using the concessions. The movie theater is playing the movie regardless. The employee checking ticket stubs and IDs will be there regardless. The person selling the tickets will be there regardless (so many tickets are bought via kiosk anyway). The real difference is in the number of employees needed to man the concession stand.