1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My friend told me about this thing called movie pass. He told me the price is supposed to be $30/month and you get 2 tickets to any movie you want as often as you want. Unlimited movies in theaters for $30 a month? I dont know if it is true or not, but I signed up for it. Waiting to get anything back from them with info.

https://www.moviepass.com/

2. VanityHalfBlack

Hope so, i signed up!!!

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I vaguely remember hearing something about this a long time ago. If I remember correctly there seemed to be a problem getting the bigger movie theater chains to agree to this system.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I go see a lot of movies, so I got this, and I love it. Absolutely a great deal if you're a frequent movie-goer like myself.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

From what I understand...you can't go to the same movie multiple times. You can only go to a specific movie one time, but you can go to as many different movies as you'd like.

6. LCAhmed

I do not think I could see a movie more than once (I have tried it in the past, and it was just boring).

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Interesting, but I don't go to movie theaters often enough.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'll pay for the movie, just give me free popcorn and soda.

Zboy likes this.
  9. LCAhmed

exact opposite of Movie Pass. I thought it was smart since the theaters know that they make their money on the concessions and not the movies themselves.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

its been out since October, they took out of beta long time ago. I was debating on it cause it go to the movies a lot. I pay $10 for going to the midnight movies, so that would be for itself. Its interesting how it works.

They give u debit-like credit card. Any theater that accepts Discover, accepts the movie pass. You'd have to use your GPS-enabled smartphone to "check in" to the movie theater and movie time you plan on going to, and have to be within like 50 yards of the movie theater. Once you check in, your card is preloaded with the funds, you can go to the automated box office, or in person box office, and use the debit card as your payment. One advantage is if your a AMC Stubs user or Edwards Theater Club, you can use it towards it.

Of course there are the catches

Even if you pay monthly, its 1 year contract.

Price vaires, I've heard as cheap as $20 if you live near a college or small town, to as much as $40, if you live in heart of a city like NY/LA. I was quoted $30 in my area (Pearland area) while my friend that got it lives out near Alief and he was quoated $35.

As already stated, can only go see a movie once and 1 movie per day. But that doesn't stop you to check in to purchase A Haunted House and see Zero Dark Thirty instead. There's always a movie you won't want to see and just go to the movie you'd want to see again, or let someone else you know use it.

My friend that had it one time said he got a ticket once, theater was packed, went to Customer Service and got cash back instead of "credit" back to his MoviePass debit card, not sure if all theaters would do this.

I was thinking about it, but I'm satisfied with using my AMC Stubs card alone, basically getting 10% back even though you pay $12/year. Plus they always have Groupons for Studio Movie Grill and Star Cinema Grill.

#10 Dave2000, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If I went more than once a month, I might consider it, but... you people spend too much money on useless stuff like this... :p

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Do you live near a Cinemark. If you join their mailing list, they give you coupons for free drinks with a popcorn purchase almost every week. Saves me five bucks every time I go to the theater.

13. Dave2000

took the plunge and went ahead and signed up for it

plus use the promo "oscars" to get $20 off for the first month.

there is a 30 day grace period when your can cancel if you don't like it, but after the 30 days, there is a cancellation fee from $25-$75

I get my debit/moviepass card in the next 5 days, if anybody care, I'll followup with my experiences when I get it. I did read a few reviews via other forums, DVDTalk/Slickdeals, so far no issues, after a shaky first month last October.

EDIT: forgot to add link to anybody that wanted to signup, this is an invite link, not a link to get on their mailing list

http://movi.ps/11N5nF7

#13 Dave2000, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  14. micks96

micks96 Member

I love going to the theater, but I'd have to go a lot just to pay for the service, then even more to make it worth it. Plus, there usually aren't that many great films outside of "award season" and the summer.

If I could pay for someone else and myself at one time, then it'd def be worth it.

15. Dave2000

Yea its going to worth it in the summer time, but I usually watch at least 3 movies a month, so I'll be even in the dead months. I was browsing through the movie releases this year, good enough releases for me to buy one.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

nice service. useless for me though since i go to the movies about 3 times a year.

17. LCAhmed

Just got accepted, about to take the plunge! Thanks Dave for the "oscars" promo

18. VanityHalfBlack

Same here, signed up good thing I signed up early first month of the year, get to see what 2013 has to offer.. ****, I didn't see the promo code does it still work????

19. Dave2000

Promo should still work but not sure if you can apply it after you have started the subscription already

20. LCAhmed

promo code did not work. I found one after I signed up.

PROMO: CINEMAJAWS