1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best & Worst of the 1st round

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Apr 22, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Which teams and players stand out in the 1st round? Any team or anyone you're really impressed by or has surprised you by elevating their / his play? And which ones have disappointed, just not played well and took you by surprise (given the expectations)?

Teams:
    +++ So far I've been very impressed by the Pelicans, Sixers & Jazz. These teams look like serious Conference Finalists the way they are playing.
    ++ Raptors are doing very well and on par with expectations, but you never know what Canada's team. Pacers are doing well to a lesser degree, considering their competition being up 2-1 so far is impressive.
    + Bucks have made things interesting whereas I figured they get swept. They could've been up 2-1 on a team that is still very talented. Bucks have the veterans to take this series so hope it goes to 6 or 7.

---- Blazers, just no excuse to get swept the way they did after talking so much ****
    -- Rockets, very disappointed and not looking like a contender at all. We've played some nice D, but all players have been up and down and just no consistent sense of urgency and inspiration play from our leaders except for 1 game each. Have to change the way we play, get guys going and play faster. Thunder are not playing up to par and look very beatable. Not worthy of all that hype. Cavaliers are not playing all that well, look very vulnerable and you don't what you're going to get from Lebron.
    - Spurs look like old man crap and I expected more, but that was based on reputation, Pops and how every season we count them out and they still are able to bring their A game despite having a mediocre roster.

Players
    +++ Jrue Holiday along with AD are by far the MVP of the post-season. Followed closely by Ben Simmons who just keeps playing the same way, looking like a seasoned veteran. Donovan Mitchell also playing great, very impressive!
    ++ Rondo just playmaking all over the place and making it look easy. Embiid bringing that defense. Jaylen Brown and Rubio balling out of their mind. Klay Thompson is shooting at a crazy efficient clip, every shot he throws up should go in. Mirotic is looking like a great 3&D player right now, who would've thought.
    + Reddick, Middleton, Oladipo, Covington, Bellinelli, Ibaka, Marcus Morris, Rozier, Giannis, Favors, Ilyasova, Saric.

--- Most Blazers and Spurs players, Gordon, Melo, Bledsoe, Wall
    -- CP3, Ariza, Dragic, Westbrook, Whiteside, Beal,
    - Lowry, Harden, Miles Turner

malakas, Exiled and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I wouldn't read too much into the Sixers tea leaves.

The Heat aren't exactly dynamo competition being led by a geriatric Wade and the ghost of Whiteside. I'll wait until the next round to evaluate the Sixers true capabilities and determine if they are a legitimate contender or not.

arubato likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only the Pelicans so far. Couple games by the Sixers and Boston.

Golden State looks very solid. So do the Jazz.

Every year I wish the Spurs would look old. They do now but I feel bad for Pop and his family so won't comment much on them.

BigO likes this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

Can add rubio to the positive list after last night

5. Rockets4Life13

I feel like we can beat minnesota even with a lot of players slumping the way they do but jazz or thunder will be hard

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree with you. I'm also not ready to judge the Pels until they play the Warriors.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

This year's playoffs have been the most enjoyable in a while.

Most teams are likeable. I'd love to see something like a 76ers vs. Pels finals.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

o_O

Patience and malakas like this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

Just letting you know that if Pels make it to the finals, that means Rockets don't win a championship. In fact, that means we do not make it past the second round.

Pretty complicated and informative, I know.

Os Trigonum and malakas like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

From what I have seen I was the most impressed with the Pacers, Philly and the Pelicans and the least impressed with the Cavs, Bucks the Spurs and the Wizards.

There are only so many conclusions that one can I make with just half the first round played. It doesnt' mean that a team that plays well now will also go far in the playoffs.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

The Rockets wouldn't play the Pels until the WCF, so Pels in the Finals does not mean the Rockets didn't make it past the second round.