1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best/Worst National Announcers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DudeWah, Jan 13, 2015.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Totally forgot about Bill Walton, love him. He does an amazing job with Pac 12 games

2. theimpossibles1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sd4FMFmjWdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Best individual: Bill Walton & Kevin Harlan

Best combo's: Dick Stockton & Chris Webber, Marv & Grant Hill, Mike Breen & JVG + Heat, Blazers, Hornets, Knicks & Bucks (I recall).

Worst: Reggie Miller, Doug Collins, Mike Fratello, Hubie Brown, Jon Barry, Mark Jackson, Clyde Drexler, Barkley, any woman + Clippers, Grizzlies, Celtics & probably few more.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Worst: Jon Barry, Jon Barry, and Jon Barry

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What's a color commentator?

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Bill and Clyde are probably bottom 10. Maybe to us, we've gotten used to Bill's homerism and accent but to everybody else in the country, we sound r****ded.

I left Bull out because I think he's our best

7. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Best: Kevin Harlan, JVG, Chris Webber

Worst: Barkley, Mark Jackson

8. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

It's amazing how far Walton has come from his early days doing the NBA. He still digresses into hippy stuff and sounds like commercial for the Conference of Champions but he's alright.

That said, I can't listen to him without hearing "Uh oh." PTSD I guess.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't know why they don't try different pairings. Breen with Webber, Harlan with JVG, etc.

Could just end up not working out, or...could end up discovering better chemistry.

I like Breen, Harlan and Webber. Miller and Barry are just...bad.

10. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I still don't know where people got this "Hubie was rooting against the Rockets" stuff...he's an excellent commentator.

I've never understood the love for Marv Albert. Guy puts me to sleep. Kevin Harlan is fun to listen to.

Reggie Miller is just horrible. He's one of those guys who clearly doesn't watch many teams and just regurgitates whatever the popular narrative is at the moment regardless of what's actually happening on the court.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Enjoy: Albert, Harlan, JVG, Webber
    Dislike: Barry, and (USUALLY, he appeals to me once in a while) Miller

12. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

The reason for not doing those pairings is due to their contracts with rival broadcast companies. It would be a really cool idea though.

13. eslate22

eslate22 Member

a good upcoming play by play announcer is Brian Anderson... he called a few of the game for tnt in rockets Portland series last year and I thought he did a really good job... of course the best announcer in the game right now, play by play or color, is JVG

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I disagree. I love Webber.

That guy is awesome. JVG is right up there with him though.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Very non-bias with his takes as well. You can tell he has no agendas with his commentary

16. eslate22

eslate22 Member

Webber is pretty good, but I think he rambles on a lot and gets off topic... As far as NBA TV announcers go, I think Steve Smith (Smitty) is pretty good and I love Zeke... he is sooo funny when he talks about basketball when he played in the 80s

17. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

hubie always talks about the player or play after the fact... its like he knows what he wants to say but he cannot gather his thoughts until the play is over

18. eslate22

eslate22 Member

I like when Hubie asks himself a question, then answers it... its been his shtick his entire commentating career

19. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Best: JVG

Worst: Reggie Miller

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

TRACY MCGRADY JUST SUCKED THE GRAVITY RIGHT OUT OF THE BUILDING
    Most def Kevin Harlan, I enjoy Mike Tirico on ESPN, JVG ALWAYS speaks da truth
    worst: the Mavs broadcast is seriously the worst and a notable Stacey King from the Bulls, dude all game was going on how Bev was a dirty player with malicious intent for some fouls that weren't even all hard, he can eat it.