1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Weed Eater/Trimmer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jun 21, 2011.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not criticizing your choice, since for small yard, and electric seems fine (especially in a city area where quiet is a value), but mixing gas and oil is pretty easy, the small bottles are sized to provide the right mix for the common gas can... and the amount a trimmer users is so small that you don't have to mix gas and oil very often.

Plus, I have an Echo SRM-210 trimmer that I use to edge with by simply tilting the trimmer. The gas continues to feed the engine. Though if you have a large enough yard and the extra $$, getting a standalone edger is easier and provides a cleaner edge.

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I've had 2 stroke engines before and have had to mix the gas. It's not that that was a deciding factor, just another issue facing that trimmer.

Maybe the 210 doesn't have the problem, but the 225 does, so says tons of reviews I read (and the instructions). Not worth it.

I'll plug in a batter for 90 minutes and be able to do my yard twice.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Good lord. The Best Weed Eater thread is directly above 'Best ass' and at first I saw 'best ass eater' thread. Fortunately the bbs isn't as dirty as my mind.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

cool! a thread for the mexicans!

i kid i kid.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I agree with you. The Echo will edge but you really need to use a real edger and then maintain it with the trimmer.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

#66 RV6, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  7. updawg

updawg Member

This was good timing for this thread to pop back up

I'm curious if that shindaiwa speed head is still the best or what currently is for an echo

I finally bought an echo, it's good but not great. Never starts very easy and the stock head is pissing me off. I'd like to upgrade that

8. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

the mexicans that come every other week seem to do a good job. try that.

9. The Boz

The Boz Member

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Got it yesterday. Works great so far. Less than 5 minutes to swap out. It's a little bigger though, so I scraped it up a bit, have to get used to that

11. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Any weed eater attached to a Mexican is a good one.

- Married to a Mexican I can tell that joke -

12. body slam

body slam Member

Has anyone tried the STIHL lighting battery powered weedeater or chainsaw?

I'm at the point where I spending more time trying to start my weedeater than actually use it.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

try pouring the old gas out and put in fresh gas.

14. Buck Turgidson

Yes. New gas plus

[​IMG]

"Mechanic in a can" as the old boys say around here.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  15. body slam

body slam Member

I replaced the gas with the premixed stuff and still no luck.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is probably all gummed up with varnish and corroded from ethanol. Using the stuff @Buck Turgidson idiotically told you to use will just foolishly waste more cash.

The premix is to prevent what you have now. If you get a new gas trimmer, use it from the beginning, at least when it will sit for a while. And keep the tank full.

The downside of the electric trimmer is the inability to use thicker trimming line, long recharge times and incredibly high initial costs. If you are cool with that then go for it.

HR Dept likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

It's Sunday, shouldn't you have already found a shed where you could go be a tool in?

Of course he needs a new carb kit at least. A dab of seafoam does keep your junk un-gunked once it's rocking and rolling. That's all I'm saying. If you put forth the effort to keep them maintained and start them regularly, engines aren't that complicated.

I don't know anything about electric stuff other than a leaf blower and a hedge trimmer. They both work just fine for me.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Oh so just a can of premix, that crap you posted AND a mechanic you didn't bother to mention because it was obvious. Brilliant.

I'm trying to offer real advice and solutions Furgison. Not tell someone to spend 100 bucks to fix their 99 dollar trimmer.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Consigning with @Bandwagoner on the the premix. My two stroke trimmer and blower crank every time with that stuff. Pulled everything out a couple weeks ago after it being unused all winter and everything fired up without a hitch. And that's with old premix from last year still in the tank.

The ethanol is what's killing you and the premix is worth the price to keep your equipment working with low maintenance.

I'm wholeheartedly against all electric powered landscaping equipment. So I can't help you out there.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ditch the ethanol gas and go with the premium non-ethanol gas. Saves you tons of money and aggravation in the long run.

wouldabeen23 likes this.