1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best way to learn about real estate investing?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I know there are classes around Houston that allow you to get a license, learn about the investing portion, etc. Is that the best option, or do these classes just give you a general overview? Are there great books out there that are beneficial? Etc....

2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

You should watch the local TV stations at 2 or 3 in the morning. They have plenty of shows talking about how easy it is to make money investing in real estate. :D

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If you have to ask....

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just get out there and start buying property ~~> classes :rolleyes:

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yep, it's that easy. :rolleyes:

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Fine a mentor if you can.

Reading about it can help you get started, but having mentor there really helps you avoid the mistakes that first time real estate investors often make.

7. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Yes, classes aren't too bad of an idea.

As it turns out there really is no "Golden Gate Bridge" so, I'm sad to say, no longer own my portion of it.

I bought a beachfront beach house in Galveston 18 months ago and have 100% appreciation on my beach house. Power of prayer, boys, power of prayer. And I'm really kind of an idiot, but it works.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Thanks folks...

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just remember this gem and you'll do just fine...

"Buy land they ain't making it no more."

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Near Dubai, they are.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Just watch Property Ladder on TLC and do exactly the opposite of what they do

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Hold a real estate investor at gunpoint and demand he tells you everything he knows.

13. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Make a realization like when my hairstylist started giving me stock tips that we are in a nationally inflated market and that its at the point that everyone thinks they can make money in real estate.

Don't get me wrong, there are truly profits to be made at all times and from all markets, but the profit margins are lower now and the prices are higher. So if you don't have experience and a reasonably deep pocket, its best to sit on the sidelines and learn from the experience.

The houston housing market is actually much more attractive than the east and west coast as well as the manuf. cities like Detroit and Cleveland where unemployment grows. But its a niche market, and with building materials like cement, wood and steel going up in price, there is not that much room for error for rookies.