1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Restaurants in and around Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jun 11, 2000.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Which restaurants do you all think are worth eating at in and around Houston. Me and my friends always go to Bennigans, or Chillis, or Denny, etc. Any good steakhouses, or italian, indian, chinese, and mexican restaurants u all know of?

------------------
    Now introducing the starting lineup for your Houston Rockets: Starting at Center from Wake Forest - TIM DUNCAN

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My top 3 Houston restaurants:

1. Empire Cafe (great pastas and pizzas, sandwhiches are very good as well)
    2. Churrascos (South American food)
    3. Tilas (interior Mexican food)

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in mid-June, for now visit www.eesite.com)

3. DUDE

DUDE Member

I have always liked HOUSTON's on 59 and Kirby.. Always get the Filet. I am sure there are better but this used to be affordable. They used to be like $16 for that and you get a HUGE great tasting salad. Now the damn steak is up to $24. But to me it is still worth it.
    Funny thing is I went to LA last year for business and was looking for a steak house. And to my surprise they had THREE Houston's there, and the one I went to was BETTER than the one here.

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

1. Wonderful Vegetarian - Westheimer at Hilcroft - all vegetarian Chinese food - outstanding!

2. Java Java Cafe - 11th St. in the Heights - terrific breakfasts - especially the french toast made from croissants!

3. One's A Meal - Memorial west of Shepherd - best late night food in the city including AWESOME grilled cheese!

4. Mai's on Milam - excellent Vietnamese food.

5. Spaghetti Warehouse - downtown on Commerce St. - very good overall Italian for little money in a great atmosphere.

6. George's Pastaria - right down the strip mall from Wonderful Vegetarian - was Mario Elie's favorite Italian - really good stuff.

7. Black Eyed Pea on West Gray and Shepherd - sure, it's a chain, but it is good food at a low price

8. Biraporetti's - West Gray - always had very good Italian Food - as you can tell, it's one of my favorite types of food

9. Mario's Flying Pizza - Galveston or League City - great pizza and Italian food in general!

That's my top 9.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Great Vietnamese food! I think one of my former high school classmates' family owns this store.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Cafe Adobe - The one in First Colony, great Mexican restaurant and a really nice look inside. Makes you feel like you are in Cancun.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

7. dc sports

dc sports Member

A couple of good hole in the walls:

1) Papa La Rosa's -- Westheimer, just outside the beltway. Great italian food -- locally owned and operated. The son of the owner/founder is almost always there. They are HUGE Rockets supporters, and have a lot of Rockets memoribelia on the walls, including about a dozen pair of autographed shoes.

2) Fred's Italian Bistro -- Bellaire and Greenbriar. Little corner resturant that has been there for years. Excellent food. Meatballs the size of a tennis ball. Fred's always there, making sure everything is done right.

3) Baba Yegas -- One of those off Montrose 'Houston Fare' resturants. Known for probably the best hamburgers in the country. I've only eaten there once, but the bacon cheesebuger was really good.

4) Lai Lai's -- Bellaire near the beltway. Good, Family owned food. Their General Tso's chicken is excellent, and I like their pan fried dumplings. They have a big variety of plates -- some really exotic. This place is known for it's prices -- You get individual plates, but then they serve rice (all you want) and the entree's on serving pans, so you can mix and match easily. This is great for large groups -- and you can just keep adding dishes, each $3-5, until everyone is full. The two I listed above costs about $9.50, and can feed 3-4 people. It fills two people up with lots of leftovers.

5) King Bo's -- Bissonett at 59. Good, inexpensive Chineese food. It also has a good fajita bar. Actually, different people in this family own resturants all over town. King Bo's, Wok Bo's, etc. They vary greatly in quality and price, but none of them are bad.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

El Tiempo--best Mexican food ever

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

9. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Since leaving Houston, the restaurant I miss the most is Churrascos. Whenever I get back there it is #1 on my hit list, in fact one of my 3 or so favorite restaurants I have ever eaten at. It isn't cheap, but it isn't totally unreasonable either, lunch is a good time to go to spend a little less but my favorite entry "Pechugas de Pollo" (sp?, if I remember correctly) is only available at dinner. Good steaks their too, but I usually go for a chicken dish. Incredible deserts. Pappaduex may be the next one I miss the most, followed by El Meson.

Most of my other favorites below I enjoy but don't miss that much , I guess because I have found reasonable comparable fare elsewhere (I guess it is no surprise leaving Houston it’s the Cajon, Caribbean and South American food I miss the most). For more authentic Mexican, La Mexicana is a good choice, also for Mexican-Tex hybrids, Cafe Noche or some of the original chain restaurants are good too (Ninfa's, Donerkai). For Italian I like Nino's.

Some of the better values in town include Spaghetti Warehouse, the big popular Vietnam restaurant down town (name is slipping by me, buffet lunch), Good Co Barbecue, Mission Burrito, & Ziggy's (Healthy Grill, I think).

I will say I didn't think I would miss Houston restaurants by moving to the Bay Area, which is very much known for its cuisine (especially SF). In truth, more often than not my wife and I have experienced far more quality restaurants in Houston, magnified by 5 or so when you factor in bang for your buck. If you are leaving town any time soon I recommended taking full advantage.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Finally! I topic near & dear to my heart!

OK, here goes....

BBQ: Baker's Ribs, on Voss between Westheimer & San Felipe. Better than Goode Co.

Chinese: Golden Palace (Bellaire just east of Gessner) and Imperial Palace (Bellaire @ Corporate). Killer Chinese food & Dim Sum. Sorry, dc sports, but they both beat the crap out of the Lai Lai Dumpling House, IMHO. I ate at Lai Lai 6 months ago, and puked my guts out an hour later. Never again!! [​IMG]

Greek: Niko-Niko's (Montrose just below Westheimer). Best lamb kebab in town.

Cajun: Ragin Cajun on Richmond near Weslayan.

Italian: Carrabba's on Kirby. Fred's (mentioned above by dc sports) is good if you want to pay less $$.

Mexican: The ORIGINAL Ninfa's on Navigation in the 2nd Ward (near Enron Field).

Deli: Kenny & Ziggy's (on Post Oak between Westheimer & San Felipe). Take it from a member of the tribe, brothers & sisters...Kenny & Ziggy's is the best deli this town has EVER seen!

I could go on and on, but then I wouldn't be able to check my stocks, now would I!!!!

------------------
    Bring It!!

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

in short,

The restaurants in Houston are the only thing better than the Rockets. No city beats Houston in range of price and selection, IMSO. S=strong

I love this city.

Who is for a:

CuisineCity.net

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

For those of you who have mentioned Churrasco's, you should definitely try Rudy and Paco's in Galveston, very similar, every bit as good, and not nearly as expensive.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RocketManTx:

Golden Palace is the best. Imperial is @Ranchester, I thought. Lai Lai sucks...

Vietnamese: Vietnam Coast on Hillcroft, Van Loc on Milam, A Dong on Bellaire outside of 8, Pho Cong Ly, the original Kim Son when it was only one and before it moved a block away (before the menu became so chinese) it was great- have not been to Mai's

Indian - Was once Indias, but under new management - bad. I guess Shiva in the Village or Madras (vegetarian) on Kirby. Standard Sweets on Hillcroft - 2.99 for vegetarian buffet!

Korean: Sam Bo Jung on Fondren or Shilla on Westheimer.

Japanese: Kaneyama on Westheimer, Tokyohana on 59, Matsu on 1960. Sasaki is supposed to be great, but only if you are Japanese.

Thai: Paddy Thai, Thai Spice.

I prefer Americas to Churrascos - more seafood.

Cajun: Denis' on Westheimer after 8.

Greek: Niko Niko's, Bibas

Middle Eastern: Yildizlar, Droubi's on Hillcroft and Bellaire.

Gold Ribbon: great Filipino bakery, below average lunch and dinner buffet.

Damn, now I am hungry.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff:

Ever had Green Planet Vegetarian?
    On Westheimer farther down from Wonderful.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Never been there - i tend to not like strictly veggie foods as much as foods that just don't have meat in them - i.e. cheese pizza or pasta and marinara.

But, I've heard good things about it. Also, I've heard that Quan Yin is very good as well.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

16. Calvin23

Calvin23 Member

Cafe Express in the Town & Country shopping center is excellent! It's very affordable, and the fruit salad is to die for!

If you are just looking for dessert, Marie Calenders is very good. Their food is just OK.

Other good restaurants:
    Olive Garden
    Guadalajara (also in Town & Country, hope I spelled it right)
    Kim Son on Westheimer near Fondren--great Japanese food!

If anyone knows of some good Indian restaurants, please let me know. I used to go to Gourmet India on Eldridge and Westheimer, but it's not very good anymore.

------------------
    Let me tell you this... I don't care.

[This message has been edited by Calvin23 (edited June 12, 2000).]

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Best Indian restaurants are Taj Mahal on 45 (close to hobby) and my personel favorite is Cuisine of India in Clear Lake. If any of you love spicy food in here and if you have enough guts to handle the spiciest and best Indian food go to Savoy by Wilcrest (its kind of ghetto but still bad ass).

I am going to try some of these restaurants you all are talking about, but also do you all know of some really really nice restaurants where u would take your girlfriend or wives.

------------------
    MANGO - Get in my BELLAY!

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Indian food...a killer one is at Richmond & Sage called Bombay Brasserie. It is in the old Windsor Plaza shopping center on the Sage side (I know this shopping center is called something else now...I'm showing my age). Bombay Brasserie has a really good lunch buffet for around $8.95.

Vegetarian...I like Moveable Feast on W. Alabama @ Greenbriar. Really good macrobiotic stuff that soaks up the beer once you go across the street to Little Woodrow's after lunch! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!