1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Restaurant in Kemah?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DREAMer, May 18, 2000.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

My wife and I are going to eat out in Kemah next week. I'm looking for opinions on what's the best place to eat there.

We are looking for something more formal than "Ragun' Cajun", but less formal than say "Pappas Steakhouse". Any ideas?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This might be too expensive, but check out the Aquarium. Everyone raves about the food, but i think its so-so (don't listen to my opinion on that one). I just think its a pretty cool play to eat and see all the lil fishy's. Hit it on a Saturday nite, get on the waitin list, and walk around on the boardwalk for a few.

------------------

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I highly recommend the Flying Dutchman. It's a very nice restaurant and the food is outstanding! You can get a table by the windows overlooking the channel (upstairs) - watch the boats parade by. I've never been to Pappas Steakhouse so I don't know how formal it would be in comparison to that but it's more formal than most of the places on the boardwalk. It's no Ragin' Cajun, ah guarantee.

I've been to Landry's a couple of times but I think their quality has gone downhill so I wouldn't recommend them.

------------------
    fan is short for fanatic - logic has little to do with it.

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I guess I should've said that I worked for Pappasito's for four years, and my wife is still at Pappadeaux after seven years. So, we have some experience on what should be quality food and service.

But, also working for Pappas don't make you much of a millionaire, so $$ is somewhat of a concern.

We are going next Wednesday.

I am considering the Aquarium, because my wife wants to see the fishies, but I am up for other suggestions too. But, I've heard that the food ain't all that, as Space Ghost said.

The Flying Dutchman was one other restaurant I was looking into. What are the prices like?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

My first inclination was to say: walk around the boardwalk for a while, then drive across the bridge to Pappadeaux--I think it's the best one I've been to, and I definitely think it's better than anything on the boardwalk side. Seeing as she already works at one, that's not such a good idea.

My suggestion: Go to Kemah as early as you can, go into the aquarium to see the fish, walk along the boardwalk, do a little shopping, have a few cold ones, and then leave about 7:30--then head south on 146 (the road the bridge is on); it will take you to 45 (just north of Galveston)and from there, it's just a few minutes into galveston. Go eat at Rudy and Pacos (call and make reservations just to be safe) next to the Grand Theater--the prices are awesome for what you get--it's very similar to Churrascos for about half the money. Then walk outside and go to 21 for a nice cocktail and some live jazz or blues and then hit one or two of the other little pubs in the area--it's a can't miss evening!

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

6. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i've heard the aquarium is the way to go...everyone says its worth seeing....space knows what hes talking about...

------------------

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

To answer your question DREAMer, prices at the Flying Dutchman are a little higher than Pappadeaux so it might be more than you want to spend. But... it's a quieter, fancier atmosphere and the food is top notch! I found the number for you - give 'em a call to check on prices or make reservations: (281) 334-7575

I don't know anything about the Aquarium so I can't really comment on it. But if the food isn't worth bragging about, Pole's suggestion to go in, look at the fishies, and split for a real restaurant might be a good one.

Pole, what's this about 21 for live jazz and blues? Is that on the Strand? I might like to check that place out myself sometime. Is there a cover?

------------------
    fan is short for fanatic - logic has little to do with it.

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Chris, it's walking distance from the Strand--it's the corner just north(west?) of Rudy and Pacos (which is right next to the Grand Theater, and one block towards broadway from the tallest building in Galveston--the American National Building--in other words, you can't miss it)

21 is pretty much a cigar/martini type bar that has live jazz/blues bands on weekends (maybe during the week, too). Being in Galveston, they are much less pretentious than most martini/cigar type bars, and the bartenders are top notch. I like the place, but I prefer: http://www.galvestontexas.com/oldquarter/

The Old Quarter is a complete dive, but it's a cool spot to go to, and the owner is a really nice guy. Plus, they have GREAT bands there like http://www.sistersmorales.com/ whom I highly recommend.

Next friday, Harlem Slim is having a CD release party at the Old Quarter and on Saturday, the P. C. Cowboys are playing--they're hilarious; I'm still trying to figure out if Toomey Starks is the same guy who plays in Lhutz' favorite polka band (don't worry, the Cowboys are not polka--I don't know what you'd call them, but they're a delight to see)

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

9. themugg

themugg Member

The Kemah Crab House was very good! You should try their Alaskan King Crab legs their very good!

------------------
    TheMugg