1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best record should be the Champion

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Mar 31, 2018.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I thought long and hard about this and came to this decision recently.

Playoffs is a fraud. it's like if you ran a marathon, won, and then they arbitrarily decided the winner was going to be whoever ran the fastest 400 after the marathon was over.

Nobody can prove me wrong.

European football has it right .

Rockets are now one-time champs.

good job rockets

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

long day sam?

lol, I think it would make the league less exciting. Too many games. I do think they need to get rid of the east vs west though

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

No, playoffs is all about studying the opponent so if you manage to beat the other team more than the other in a series, most likely you had the better game plan and or executed better. You earn it in the playoffs. However, the 82 games to set up the big stage makes very little sense and never has. This is where football has it right: play each team twice, both in their home arena. That would make it legitimately 100% ‘fair’ game for everyone.

da_juice likes this.
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Nba season can’t be compared to running a race because everyone is running the same relative path under the same conditions.

In the NBA teams are all taking different paths and don’t even play the same teams the same amount of times.

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

It's not correct or incorrect, it is just different.

Call the Rockets "regular season champions" and the playoff winner "playoff champions".

I think the greatest thing in sports is a 7 game NBA series.

The regular season is a marathon. The playoffs is a chess tournament.

RyanB likes this.
  6. Mr. Space City

except everybody in the nba doesn't play each other the same amount of times like in European football.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

rebuttal post to all above:

rockets = world champions

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I prefer playoffs format, it gives more excitement to the league, european soccer could get so boring, because you still have one month to play, but there is already a champion, so why playing meaningless games, if everything is decided, it would be preseason again.

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I sort of agree...but somehow I won't feel like the Rockets are champs this year unless we beat every team we face in a 7 game series. Call me crazy.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Odd, guess this thread was just a statement more than anything huh ;)

No, there’s no such thing as world champions when it’s the NATIONAL basketball association. As hard as Americans keep screaming they’re best in the World, champions of the World, it will never be.

In fact, for every single mention of it, there will be thousands of people turned off by the arrogance and actually sick to the stomach which has lead to worldwide aversion of the American way and attitude.

How can you not know, as a European football fan how this works (half-serious :))

11. Game7

Game7 Member

12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

That would make more sense for baseball, where they play a bajillion games only for the champion to be determined by a 5 game and two 7 game series. But taking away that post-season removes the best post-season in Sports. NBA probably has the best balance between the Regular Season and the Post Season

13. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I know you are half-serious, but its because the best Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and Gridiron Football leagues in the world exist here.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Some people like to change the rules as they ride.

OP is basically stating we should throw the 94 and 95 championships in the garbage. I have more respect for Hakeem than that.

durvasa likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Les ain't given his trophies back. They're tucked away in his garage, and going nowhere.

16. calcium

calcium Member

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No but he definitely has the shoved somewhere.....

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

but European leagues have separate tournaments like FA cups and Champions league

daywalker02 and RyanB like this.
  19. RyanB

RyanB Member

I've been thinking about it for a while, to see a team fighting all year and get the best record only to not being recognized because they lose in the playoffs is really illogical. I don't think the NBA will change the format but the idea of having 2 trophies ala East West champs, for the regular season champs and playoffs champ like in soccer in Europe where they have the" championnat" and the "coupe", would be intriguing

SamFisher likes this.
  20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

NBA doesn't exist to make the most objective champs. It exists to make money. That's why we have the playoffs.