1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Draft Picks in Rockets History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ch44, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. Olajuwon
    2. Cassell
    3. Horry

You play, to win, the game!!

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

How do you know you done goof up?

When Luther Head comes out ahead of Sam Cassell.

3. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

If it wasn't for Dickerson we wouldn't have had Stevie Franchise so it's a wash.

4. ch44

ch44 Member

It's ordered by the number of regular season win shares each draft pick contributed to the team. It's not objective at all.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

And if we didn't have Francis, we wouldn't have been able to get TMac. TMac got us Kevin Martin. Kevin Martin got us the true MVP.

God, I'm glad we drafted Dickerson. Harden is a lot better than Rashard Lewis.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Is it me or is that a really crappy list?:(

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lol @ Allen Leavell near the top of the list. :grin:

8. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Dickerson was legit. His solid play here his rookie year helped us trade him for Francis. He got injured in Vancouver/Memphis and never recovered.

Bryce and Mirsad sucked though.

9. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Coulda had Francis, Mobley, Lewis 1 2 3

Y'all are forgetting 3 1st round picks we passed on him. He went & played on a 60 win team, and now has a ring.

Who did we get for Bryce Drew? He better than Lewis? What about Mirsad Turckan? He da true MVP?

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm sorry that you don't like the way our team is currently constructed. I do. And it took some Bryce Drews and Mirsads to make it all happen. I'm fine with that, you are not. Again, I'm sorry that you don't like the way our team is currently constructed.

11. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

WS is a counting stat and Luther played a lot of minutes on multiple 50 win teams. Obv Cassell is better than Head but Luther got more regular season playing time during his tenure as a rocket.

Sam logged ~4600 total minuets for us over 3 years
    Luther logged ~ 6000 total minutes for us over 3 years plus a bench riding 4th

12. cdrive

Sorry, is it 1998 or 2015? I forget. Help me out bruh.

EDIT: I would like to thank you Stromile Swift, for James Harden. You da real mvp, stro.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Vancouver would have demanded Lewis instead of Dickerson in the trade for Francis. They were demanding our brightest young player and picks.

You can't rewrite history like that.

And btw: That was CD's trade. The largest trade in NBA history up until that time. And you aren't going to give him credit for that trade -- 3 teams and 11 players.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I know your list is based on win shares but the title of the thread is "Best Draft Picks in Rockets History". You can not exclude.....

[​IMG]

... By the way, Big E deserves a big picture!

15. cdrive

Good point actually. Sorry, you're right. I thought this was The Whacky History Hour where we draw a bold solid line from Dickerson to Harden to World Peace (not the basketball player) to the cure for cancer.

16. MONON

MONON Member

That was the only draft that I totally blew up over. :mad: With 3 1st round picks, he coulda used the last one on the hometown boy & still wound up with Harden.

17. cdrive

Exactly! And looking into my crystal ball we would have already traveled to Mars, and had 4 more Houston Rocket Championships. Again, I apologize for liking more Rockets Championships. :rolleyes: But yeah. That is the one draft I'll never slurp the koolaid and tow the party line for.

Another amazing get was Robert Reid in the 2nd round. That's a guy I grew up watching as a big fan. I forgot how late he was taken.

18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I recognize the importance of number of games played as a Rocket, but still what a gap between number 1 and everybody else.

19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Parsons higher than Brooks? Really?

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just hearing Luther Head's name evokes the sound of a brick hitting a rim.