1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best and most affordable possible tablet for media viewing only without WIFI (4g use)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hey guys, just wondering if you guys know which of the tablets I should purchase if I want to use it solely to watch youtube, or casually browse the internet/ pdf files. The kicker is I don't have WIFI and mostly use my 4g. So this means I have to have T-Mobile add a network onto that tablet? I'm not sure how that works. I haven't ever had a tablet before. Trying to save money as much as possible, but would like to have a tablet for viewing purposes such as looking at workout videos on Youtube.

Thank you.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no pr0n?

Looks like T-Mobile allows you to add a tablet. But that costs extra, depending upon how much data you need. It says you still get "unlimited" at reduced speeds, after you exhaust your paid amount. I suspect using youtube a lot will burn through data fast, and willing to bet "reduced speed" is meant to make continued youtube streaming tiresome, like much worse than going to a coffee shop to share wifi with other customers.

Cheapest might be getting a tablet with WiFi and watching your workout vids at coffee shops??? Getting the cheapest speed cable/dsl internet plan with a wifi modem might be the same or less that those T-Mobile data plans for Tablets. But I'm just guessing. I'd test it on a 30-day trial.

In other words, try to find out what "reduced speed" feels like for youtube first. Here's their wording: "Unlimited data even after all your high-speed 4G LTE data is used, at reduced speeds "

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I go up to ~7gb with my phone alone and that's pretty much how I expect to use the tablet. Sometimes I pass the 7gb and don't feel the reduced speeds at all.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds like you could save money by reducing your phone data plan to the lowest GBs, and give your Tablet device add-on more.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans.html

As for what tablet to buy, others would know better than me.

5. ling ling

ling ling Member

What about tethering off your phone? No extra data plans.

6. ling ling

ling ling Member

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

The deal with tethering with my phone is it isn't unlimited. It only goes up to 5gb. It goes by fast for some reason.