1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Wallace doesn't like Flip

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Pretty rough.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061007/SPORTS0102/610070341/1127

Big Ben won't bite lip about Flip

Ex-Piston says he has no relationship with Saunders, decries what his role was in offense … and lots more.

AUBURN HILLS -- More than three months after he left the Pistons and took a four-year, $60 million deal to play in Chicago, Ben Wallace has had his say.

In an interview with Chris Sheridan of ESPN.com that was a mixture of old grievances, revisionist history and overreaction to statements he's only heard bits and pieces of, Wallace made it clear he did not like or respect Pistons coach Flip Saunders.

"I have no relationship with him," he told ESPN.

"He's a coach, and I'm a player, and that's as far as it went. If you say your door is always open, and we can always talk about things, and you'll be willing to listen, and when I come to him and talk about something that's bothering me that I think is hurting the team, if you don't do anything to change it, then that's the last time I need to talk to you."

Wallace complained Saunders was unresponsive when he offered suggestions. He complained he wasn't given more of a role in the offense. He was and still is bitter about being sat out the entire fourth quarter of the season-ending Game 6 loss to the Heat. And he's been bemused by Saunders' comments this season about the offense being better without him.

But everything Wallace had to say to ESPN has its roots in the same basic conflict -- the same conflict cited throughout last season and certainly reiterated in July when Wallace signed with the Bulls. The Pistons, like the NBA itself, were and are moving away from a defensive style and toward a freer-flowing style of offense, and Wallace didn't like it.

"Ben is the best defensive player in the world," Chauncey Billups said Friday. "You would like to have it where the things you do best is what the coach believes in most. Flip came in last season and was in a tough situation. He came here to jump-start our offense.

"I guess Ben didn't like that. But at the time, it made us better, I thought."

Wallace first complained about the Pistons getting away from their defensive principles after a victory last season against the Jazz, which made them 8-0.

"The first thing we talked about was him getting the ball more," Saunders said Friday. "That's where it usually initiated from. … Everything Ben said, he has said before. It's over with."

Wallace said he never spoke to Saunders again after that meeting. Saunders, though, said he and Wallace had at least three other similar meetings. Saunders said he tried to accommodate Wallace's wishes to a point, but the team was reeling off a franchise-best 64 victories.

Saunders didn't think too much change was in order.

"You do what's right for the team," Saunders said. "You listen to players, but ultimately, somebody has to make the decision. That's what my job is."

What hurt Wallace the most, apparently, was Saunders' decision to keep him on the bench in the final quarter of Game 6 against the Heat.

"From here on out, I'm going to remember that 12 minutes on that bench," Wallace said. "I had been there through thick and thin with those guys, and I hated to watch my teammates out there put up a fight, and there was nothing I could do to help them. … It was a helpless feeling, man."

Saunders' response: "I will put it this way: That was the only quarter we outscored Miami."

The Pistons trailed by 19 points going into the final quarter of a win-or-go-home game. Wallace had seven points at the time but had missed 16 of 24 free throws in the series, and the Heat kept fouling him intentionally.

Shaquille O'Neal, who also struggled from the line, played five minutes in that quarter for the Heat. And the Pistons did score 25 points, their largest in a quarter that game.

"I don't fault him for wanting to be out there," Saunders said of Wallace. "But it wasn't done as a slap in his face. It was done because we were trying to do what we could to win. I will not look back on that and say it was a mistake."

Good for a laugh

Wallace has been fuming the last couple of days over comments he's been fed which, taken out of context, might have led him to believe the Pistons are rejoicing in his absence.

"I hear him saying now that I'm gone he can open up his playbook," Wallace told ESPN. "I laugh at it. Everyone's looking for something, and for him to say that, he's fishing for getting a reaction out of me. … I never thought you could win when you've got five guys on the floor looking for the ball and no one out there doing the little things. So that's on him."

Saunders is flabbergasted by the comments.

"When I told people that we could run more plays and do more things in the post with Nazr (Mohammed, Wallace's replacement), before that I said there were things we weren't going to be able to replace, things that Ben did so well," Saunders said. "Now that Nazr's here, there are things Nazr does better than Ben. Let's give Nazr some credit, too. Our job is to maximize the players we have. It was not a knock on Ben. It was the opposite.

"What frustrates me is to have Ben say some things and not know the compliments that were given to him here. He was the heart and soul of this franchise, and we wanted him back."

The oddest thing Wallace said to ESPN was that he liked Rick Carlisle.

"Carlisle was cool," Wallace said.

Billups and Lindsey Hunter rolled their eyes at that one. Wallace and Carlisle barely spoke during the 2002-03 season. Wallace also had issues with Larry Brown and George Irvine.

"I didn't think he was that much different toward Flip than he was toward Larry or Rick," Billups said.

No big deal

Billups stressed that whatever was going on between Saunders and Wallace had no impact on the chemistry of the team on or off the court last season.

"It wasn't that big," Billups said. "We were winning, and everything was good. It wasn't like we would win 10 straight games and everybody was in the locker room mad, or that Ben was in there mad. It was never like that."

Billups acknowledged things got a little uglier during the Cleveland series, especially when Detroit was on the brink of elimination. That's when Wallace went public with some of his frustrations with Saunders.

"That was a tough situation," Billups said. "We're in Cleveland, and we're playing bad. When you get in a desperate situation, man, some people lash out in different ways. His frustration just built up over some time. He's an emotional guy. That's how he's been. That's who he is, and that's why he's great."

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somebody needs to tell Big Ben that his offense sucks, that his free throw shooting is ridiculous (41% for the reg season, 27% for the playoffs), and his defense is not as good ass it was. Put that together and you have a player who should not play at the end of games when a team is trying to surge for a comeback.

Also is it a coincidence that when he is less a part of the offense and plays are not run for him he shoots at a higher percentage? The year of his highest attempts per game he shot a pathetic 42% from the field. That is bad for any position, much less a center/power forward.

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Learn to shoot free throws, sucker! It's not difficult.

Good luck with your tenure in Chicago, but you ain't no Dennis Rodman.

#3 wnes, Oct 7, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  4. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Rasheed - All-Star level offensive player, tremendous post game and range
    Chauncey Billups - One of the best offensive point guards in the league
    Rip Hamilton - Efficient and reliable 20 point scorer
    Tayshaun Prince - Walking mismatch

Ben Wallace - Scores 90% of points on dunks and layups and is barely over 50% FGP and 41% FTs. Has never averaged double digit points.

I thought he didn't need touches and was a hardhat guy who didn't complain? He was obviously the weak link on the Piston offense, no matter how effective his defense was.

5. compucomp

compucomp Member

He let the $$$ and recognition go to his head. I don't think anybody should ever use the label "blue collar worker" on him.

6. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

The funniest thing is that Nazr seems to be generally regarded as a better offensive player. Ouch.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man yall hate Wallace... He does have something Flip doesnt.....
    Maybe its the ring that went to his head.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's pretty funny that he would complain about his "role" in their offense when their team won as much as they did last year without him ever having to be a focal point or any point in the offense.

It's also pretty funny that he complains about his lack of offensive production, and yet he goes to the Bulls, a team that's full of shooters. Lets see what kind of offensive role he takes on there..but then again, I doubt we'll hear much since he got his money already.

9. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Ben Wallace is so overrated.

Best defensive player? Arguable.

Making 15M a year? Ridiculous.

Any offense weapon? Unlikely.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Ben Wallace and 'offense' is an oxymoron. He's a very valuable player to any team in the league, no doubt, but he's nothing more than this generation's Dennis Rodman, and he's no superstar.

Oh, forgot, he's also now officially one of the most overpaid/overvalued players in the league.

11. Astroholic

Astroholic Member

That's cold. I don't think any of the Detroit Pistons like each other. Doesn't seem like they have any team chemistry in the least.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

apparently bulls management thought the best way to get that across to him was to pay him 15 million dollars per year. i, personally, would've told him differently.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

How could the guy get on ok with LB and not with Flip? He's sposed to be the players coach.

I cant remember a single other ongoing problem another player as ever had with Saunders...

Wallace is not on my fantasy radar, and never will be.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The guy has NO offensive game, can't shoot jumpers, can't shoot free throws, has no post up skills, yet is whining because he's not touching the ball and in the game down the stretch? Unreal.

15. RocksMillenium

He wouldn't have that ring if it wasn't for the his teammates around him. Maybe he should have stopped "hating on them" by screwing up the offense with his crappy offensive game. Heck, Larry Brown had a ring and he didn't want Wallace to be a focal point of the offense. And he's been to more NBA Finals then Wallace and has a national championship ring. So using the championship ring is weak.

16. RocksMillenium

I thought the SAME thing until I caught this blurb:

Looks like Ol' Ben was "hatin'" on everybody.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Big Ben is rapidly morphing from underrated overachiever to overrated underachiever before our very eyes.

18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saunders' response: "I will put it this way: That was the only quarter we outscored Miami."

This is the line I love.

19. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

LB actually tried to work Ben into the offense more than either Carlisle or Flip and Bem dod get more shots. LB said he was trying to balance out the offense so the other team doesn't completely lay off ben and they end up playing 4 on 5. Didn't really help the offense as far as I remember... mostly, just kept Ben somewhat happy and playing hard on the other end.

It's sort of like Jim O'Brien with Antoine Walker's ill-advised 3 pt attempts... Obie made the deal with Toine that as long as he played hard on D and followed the system, he got to chuck as many 3s as he wants.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When the big man works that hard on D and on the boards you have to reward him. Basketball is a game, it needs to be fun. If he pulls down one of Lindsey Hunters jacked up 3's and kicks it out then post him up and give him the ball! REWARD HIM! Wait and see how the Pistons perform without Wallace. Just wait and see... When you work that hard, when you anchor a team like that, you can talk all you want. He didnt say anything while in Detroit, he did his job.