1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#bemorelikeeurope] France bans free soda refills

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I now await the "I miss the old Republican party" proto-Clinton supporters to preemptively condemn any such move here in the US.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

#AnotherStupidCoheteThread

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, something that doesn't have an effect on me. I'm not going to condemn it or support it. If it were to happen here, then we can talk. Right now, it's not an important issue.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I bet half the people in fast food restaurants in Paris are American and British tourists anyway.

5. dmoneybangbang

Smart move. Obesity and obesity related illnesses are a huge expense for healthcare costs.

I would go with a sugar tax personally and people can have as many refills as possible. It's funny how conservatives like Cohete don't mind subsidizing unhealthy behavior.

6. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I hope this concept is applied to junk food purchased with the Lone Star card.

7. MexAmercnMoose

now we're talking...compromise

8. dmoneybangbang

It should be applied to everyone or we need to stop with any type of socialized medicine.

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

It should be applied to everyone.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(Ignoring the non-sequitor trolly-o Clinton reference and choosing the interesting issue of sugary drinks as obvious health hazard.)

I think I favor the tax idea. We know cigarettes are bad -- do we restrict those? No, other than an age minimum, just labels and extra tax, right? Can't people still smoke as much as they want (in America at least)?

Camarograna2 likes this.
  11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why can't we love people for whatever size they happen to be? Why fat-shame?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The lazy and weak have no place in our society!

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

humans are not suppose to be obese

14. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

It's not a question of size but more of health.
    Being French (and gourmand) I highly am in support this law.

Then again the only time I saw refills machines are in fast foods restaurants (mainly Subways).

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Banned except there are no free refills pretty much everywhere in Europe anyway.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People need to switch the diet or "zero" products if they still need soda. Tastes the same without the calories.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

my face and tongue has serious spazztic responses to aspartame flavored diet sodas. that's the only reason I can't switch to diet sodas. I would switch in a minute if there was a low calorie, diet soda without that distinct flavor and aftertaste.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It seems like these days drinking diet soda is made out to be worse than if you just drank regular soda. I've read some claim sugar substitutes cause insulin spikes and insensitivity...and your body has trouble dealing with regular sugar intake if you corrupt yourself with sugar substitutes regularly. That said...I said I have read (know-it-all type articles where statements are made with no backing evidence). The evidence may or may not be there. I don't anyone like the FDA has evidence to back those claims.

All I know is I've been drinking diet soda after switching from regular soda a ways back (a few decades ago I think in my 20s) on the premise that no sugar was better than with sugar. I am uncertain as to how bad it is for you. My blood checks out okay albeit my insulin-related (glucose) reading is slightly elevated after fast. I know there can be side effects, like acid reflux. I do think it is bad so I try to drink my day's water allotment as well...to kind of cushion the blow. I do that by drinking water with meals instead of diet soda. At one time, though, for a long stretch...it seemed like I mostly just drank diet soda and not much water (or anything else for that matter) at all. That's the curse of drinking soda is you tend to replace water with it and not get enough water.

All the chemicals in soda regardless of if diet or not...it's crazy. I do try to limit my intake nowadays to 24 ounces on a bad day and 12 ounces on a decent day to none on other days. I think the chemicals in soda cause an addiction. Obviously, one of the peeves is you can drink a ton of it if you're not careful because it is set up to keep you coming back for more and more the way the body reacts to it. I will usually have a headache day if I quit (easily remedied with some aspirin), i.e. withdrawal.

So, yea, empty calories...with whatever else happens to the body in reaction to these chemicals made up to form a flavor profile.

#18 Surfguy, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Banning free refills is a bit too much. We shouldn't dictate a business on how to run it.

I completely support a junk food/sugar/fried food tax, provided the tax goes directly to relevant medicine.

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Has anybody on here said we should be more like Europe or is the op just fighting an imaginary battle?