1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#beMoreLikeEurope] Austria bans full facial veils in public

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, May 18, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

And mandates "integration courses".

And I have to agree with the Austrians on this one. If you stand for nothing, you fall for everything.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Be *LESS* Free?

Rocket River

3. dmoneybangbang

I agree with banning the full face veil. I don't care if that's part of their culture, in the West you show your face. That's a religious issue/custom that I can't get behind.

Not really sure how I feel about "integration courses", I would need more details in exactly what the courses are. If it's more of an educational "this is what daily life is like here" type of course then I could kinda get behind that sort of deal.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Hooray for government mandates and fines!

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I hope OP realizes his obsession with nitpicking and mocking Europe shows a significant inferiority complex.

adoo, fchowd0311 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. Cohete Rojo

Add the Danes to the list. Yes, a "Scandinavian" country - Bernie Sander's idea of heaven on earth - decided that there is no social redeeming value in such ultra-orthodox religious misogyny.

Serious question: do people actually view this as a "hate crime"?

___

Danish parliament bans the wearing of face veils in public

Denmark has banned the wearing of face veils in public, joining France and other European countries in outlawing the burqa and the niqab worn by some Muslim women to uphold what some politicians say are secular and democratic values.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

A law like that here wouldn't stand Constitutional scrutiny.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

not quite sure niqab is mandatory in Islam so I'm fine with that .

But how about your masters cohete!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cohete Rojo

The US does not have the history of long, drawn-out bloody religious wars that Europe has. We need to learn from the French and our allies.

10. dmoneybangbang

Seems like the US/Israel is trying to get more control of Jerusalem, there's certainly no precedent there........

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does this ban apply to all people who want to hide their face in public, or only Muslim women?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why not ban all facial hair while we at it?

Rocket River

13. JuanValdez

Having a long history of being unable to reconcile religious differences isn't really a credential of good governance. If anything, they should be looking to the US for a model. They've killed each other for 500 years because of religion and now they're supposed to be some shining light to the world?

But US Muslims don't even need to appeal to their right of religion; they have a right to free speech which we interpret very broadly. If money is speech, if racism is speech, if p*rn is speech, how can the the niqab not be speech?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

On Europe being more tolerant, everyone is cool until resources get tight.

Europeans had to buckle down on Syrian refugees for the simple fact there are so many

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm not sure the speech Niqab carries is religious nor is it something positive for society.

Also US/Canadian Muslims are a lot more progressive and integrated compared to European ones imo

16. JuanValdez

It doesn't have to be religious nor does it have to be positive. We let the Klan march. We allow a billion-dollar p*rn industry. We allow corporations to fund political speech. We allow fake news. We allow Nickelback to host concerts. It doesn't really matter what the niqab says, we allow it.

Exiled likes this.
  17. Cohete Rojo

I would say they (the West) do have a long history of reconciling differences. The legislation they have passed is an extension of that history.

I also don’t buy the argument that US/Canadian Muslims are “more integrated”. I think US/Canada are more segregate and further apart, whereas Europeans are bunched up against one another - making everything very noticeable.

18. JuanValdez

I think that was meant for @apollo33.

19. Cohete Rojo

I'd also like to add that p*rn and racism are not accepted in society as freely as religious symbolism.

I think places of worship are great, and that building great monuments to the gods is great. However, building a 150-foot high cross? Dressing in veil head-to-toe? Curly-fry sideburns?

You are putting it out there for others to see in a way that trespasses into the public realm. Keep it in the synagogue. Keep it in the church. Keep it in the mosque. Indecent religious exposure should be frowned upon.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Quite unlike france. This is misogynistic and undemocratic. France has banned ALL symbols for all religions and either gender.
    These laws they only target and single out women and restrict their choices.

Many european countries have already anti masking laws they could have applied but nope.

FranchiseBlade likes this.