1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BEING DARYL MOREY: Approaching The Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Everyone has their opinion about what is wrong with our Rockets and at least a few trades they think could fix it. But as many trade scenarios as we could possibly construct in our minds I am convinced Daryl Morey has thought of them and 100 variations.

I don’t always agree with Mr. Morey but the one impression I have of him is he and his staff are one of the hardest working crews in the league. And he is most certainly leaving no stone unturned as we approach the trade deadline. Whatever weakness we perceive with this team, lack of defensive big, no go to guy, balancing the team, Morey has seen it, analyzed it, mathematically dissected it and probed the entire basketball world to address it.

I am just guessing but I bet Morey has deals already in place to pull the trigger on only waiting for a possible better deal before he does. He has deals he wishes for, deals he hopes for, deals he might consider if they just sweeten the pot and deals he will do if all else fails. I have no idea what those deals are but I would bet money that something goes down by the trade deadline. And that addressing the defensive big problem, finding a better go to guy, upgrading any position and balancing the team are some of his primary objectives.

The point of my thread is to get you guys trying to think like Morey and guess what he has up his sleeve. Not to suggest a trade that you want to happening but rather a trade that you think Morey might pull off. Please put a little thought into your trades and consider both sides... Which means no Chris Paul for ish Smith and Yao Ming trades. Here is an example of a trade by ABCD1234 that I don't know how realistic it is because I think we benefit most but I do see it as at least feasible in that it does serve all parties to some degree...

#1 Old Man Rock, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

I guess I don't see the Pacers giving Foster and Granger away for what we offer.

3. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

I think the least benefited team in this scenario is Sacramento. One way to make it work is take Garcia (and his contract) off of their hands using the Ariza trade exception with a side trade.

4. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I don't think I've ever heard of a 3-way deal where one team gets the only two good players involved...

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I just wonder how Morey and Co. have never computed to bring in some sort of player that can provide height at the rim (if only that and little more)....?

We need an upgrade at the 3 that is a 2 way player and some sort of center if we want to make the playoffs.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The trade idea was suggested as an example. But I do think it is possible on some level because it offers some salary relief. anyway the point is you are supposed to propose a realistic trade idea that you think Morey might consider and is realistic. It can be a little one sided because of course that is what Morey does. Trades that benefit the Rockets more than their trading partner. But at the same time you must be realistic.

Trading a lottery protected 1st round draft pick for Terrence Williams. Dumping Tmac for Hill and a 1st. Trading Landry for Martin. These are Morey deals. Help guess what you think Morey may pull of before this trade deadline if you will.

7. trugoy

trugoy Member

There are only a few rockets with significant trade value and can be traded.

The guys unlikely to form the centerpice of a deal are;

Martin, Scola, Miller - contracts too big and too long, or too old to bring back value

Lowry - cannot be traded without his permission

TWill, Chase, Ish - Just not good enough or hasn't shown enough

Chuck, Jefferies, Battier, Yao - expirings and not much else

That leaves the following people who will most likely be the major piece of talent in a trade.

AB - probably the best trade piece and most valuable.
    CLee - has some value but won't bring back a major piece
    PPat - wildcard, probably hasn't played enough to have major value...yet
    Hill - Another wildcard, some team may take a flier on his potential.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think AB is probably gone in any blockbuster we pull off. I'd ship Hill and Bud off if we got the chance. I'd hold onto Patterson because he looks like he's going to be a good player. I need to see more of CLee before i give up on him, but his inconsistency is troubling.

I actually think Jefferies and Yao's contracts are enticing for teams. Also, Battier is the perfect player to move at the deadline when injuries start to add up and the playoff teams start to get nervous. I will try and forget that you mentioned getting rid of Chuck. No one gets rid of the chuckwagon! are you serious? do you want to curse this team?

I think we are in pretty good position with our draft picks, our young talent, and our expiring contracts. If we can move a combination of these assets for an impact player, we'll be happy we have Martin and Scola, who are excellent complimentary players.

i wish we could find a way to get Larry Sanders and lock him in the Houstonian with the Dream for a year.

9. Roxs-Redemption

Are we getting: Iggy or Granger? (Just curious)
    or maybe Nene?

10. jogo

jogo Member

I think Morey specializes in the valuation of players. He knows which teams are interested in our players and what they are willing to give up for them. Morey is a master of finding value where others haven't looked and surprising us fans with trades we weren't thinking about.

Ex: Trades Landry for Martin. Most Rox fans loved Landry (me included) and then were surprised when he was traded for Martin. It was classic sell high on Landry. Fans will complain about Martin's lack of D, but don't you think Morey fairly evaluated that weakness before acquiring him?

Ex2: Trades Ariza for Lee. Hated this trade, bought into the hype that it was a salary dump. Morey, however, saw that Ariza wasn't good enough for our team or to be a starter on the Rox. Traded him, saved money, and acquired Lee who has played well for us.

So I don't think Morey will make one of the trades that many have speculated. Granger, Igoudala, Wallace all seem to be fan wishes rather than actual targets. Especially if Morey thinks Williams will be our SF of the future. I don't think he would have given up a 1st round pick if they didn't strongly think that Williams would start one day for us.

It seems like Morey will move on an undervalued young player with potential (such as Hill or Lee) or an older star talent who is undervalued (see Martin). Who will these players be? Maybe a Speights, McGee, T. Young, B. Wright. An older player who is undervalued? Don't know who is good enough there, maybe Josh Smith?

I think AB is gone b/c he's valuable and we probably can't pay him next year. I'd like to trade Scola, too, but don't think Ppat or Hill are ready to start yet.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I see Morey go one of three directions at the trade deadline.

All-In
    This premise is based on getting Melo. If we rent him, then there's no turning back. It's swinging for the fences or striking out. In which case, I can also see Morey going after players like Camby and basically make the current team as talented as possible.

Trade extra depth for an upgrade
    Basically a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 deal. One where we upgrade at one position with a player younger than 30(has a few years left). Maybe not even a huge upgrade, but good enough while getting rid of some extra depth.

Sell extra parts
    This is if the above two cannot happen, and the Rockets become sellers. The Rockets have too many players. Plain and simple. Scola/Hill/Patterson are all PFs. Battier is not useful on a rebuilding team and plays before CBud/TWill. Brooks contract is up at the end of the season, and the Rockets may decide Lowry/Ish isn't too much of a downgrade from Lowry/Brooks. etc. etc. etc.

I don't want to see Morey standing pat here. The current team, as constructed, doesn't really do anything. It was made for one last potential hurrah with Yao, and Yao's out. It needs to be changed. Whether its upgrading or downgrading, it cannot stay still.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

CP3 and Melo in 2 monster trades.

I could dig it.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I could see Granger. His value has never been lower in the past 2+ seasons. It would be a perfect buy-low proposition a la Kevin Martin; plus, the Pacers have his replacement in Paul George (or so they can tell themselves).

14. Rockets_4_life

Shane Battier and Chuck Hayes for a empty bottle of Gatorade and half a bag chips... and that's if we're lucky..! :) :p

15. albuster

albuster Member

It would really be a very pleasant surprise if DM can pull off a trade with significant upside for the Rockets this season. There just isn't anything out there until the post season and the draft.

16. delishman

delishman Member

I have fantasized about a trade very similar to this..

A few points:

I don't think the King will be able to trade their second round pick due to the Jermaine Taylor obligation as unlikely as it is.

Pacers would have to get Scola. They need a PF and they aren't going to give up Granger without getting some proven talent in return.

We would also likely have to take Posey in a separate deal for one of our T.E.s.

While that leaves a huge hole at PF.. I think at any moment of the Rockets choosing they could flip AB for Landry.

17. delishman

delishman Member

I apologize for my grammar in that last post..

Hands got a little lazy I suppose.

18. avb

avb Member

I really don't think anything significant will happen. All of the trade proposals on this forum are unrealistic and really overvaluing our players (ex - the trade in the first post).

What do other GM's think of our assets? The only rumors we've heard is Minnesota offering Jonny Flynn for Aaron Brooks. They aren't tearing down our doors offering Nene or Chris Paul for Yao Ming's contract + Jordan Hill or Budinger.

I hope I'm wrong and that Morey can pull something off, but I don't see anything happening.

19. trugoy

trugoy Member

Contenders would love Battier or Hayes but a contender wants to add talent not give away talent, which why they do not have trade value other than as a contract balast.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The rental aspect of Carmelo has just gone up since the Nets wont trade for him w/e extension and NY probably will gamble at not having to give up anything in free agency.

The question is, what is the rental price vs the extension price?