1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before you go off the ledge: The Rockets are 2-4 against above average teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 5, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I know it's typical to overreact after losses, but honestly did you expect more?

The Rockets are a .500 team in terms of talent. They have played only playoff caliber teams, including teams many expect to be top 4 seeds. Is there really any reason to think they'd be doing better? Nothing so far has suggested we're any more or less than we were last season. Kind of sucks to be sure. But the idea that McHale or Morey or the team just don't care or are god awful is quite an overreaction.

If the Rockets go 2-4 against the likes of the Kings, Jazz, Nets before we can start talk about gloom and doom.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Ill never go off the ledge...

3. Burko

Burko Member

If we go and beat NOH there will be 10 threads about how excited people are to see this young team make a playoff run.

Clutchfans, where knee-jerking happens.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No. If you looked at the first 8 games when the schedule was released, this was to be expected... I felt a 1-7 or 2-6 start was a very good possibility.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=6438774#post6438774

People shouldn't overreact based on the record. However, the games in Memphis and LA (Clippers) were pretty discouraging if you're in the "win now" boat. It's just tough to peg this team right now because they looked so good at home against the Spurs and Hawks.

5. Burko

Burko Member

Fixed, it's early, I'm tired.

6. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

My concern is that we will go .500 miss playoffs and end up with another crappy pick - this is everybody else's problem.

The franchise has no direction right now, we are middle of the pack and movement up or down seems unlikely

7. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Bingo. I know it's early, but this is exactly what's so frustrating. The Rockets have looked really awesome and really pathetic so far. No real in between. Yet.

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Well said Clutch, it is just hard to see our team be in it right up until the end and not be able to close out....and the blow outs are a kick in the guts.

That said, I expect our team to be in the playoffs this season...and make some noise.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It is doom and gloom when you can count us being a bottom tier playoff team one and done or 14th pick lottery team.

We have no real path to improvement. For the first time in my Rocket life I feel I will never witness Rocket championship again. I thought for sure we could see another with Pippen and Hakeem and then Barkley. I thought Yao and Tmac would be a lock for at least one in my lifetime. Now I am pretty convinced it will never happen.

We are a middle of the road team. The league has changed the rules to hurt our best player. We are not going to win a top 3 lotto pick anytime soon and no superstar is walking through those doors. Yes the Lakers and Spurs are getting old. But the Clippers and Thunder are young.

I like Mchale but Adelman was probably better at getting the most out of these guys. I had some hope with the Gasol trade but that fell through and let's face it so did Morey's heart. Moreyball just isn't working out as well as they had hoped because it isn't the secret it once was. Even with our Rockets poor outlook I won't go off the ledge but suffice it to say the Rockets are consuming less of my thought more and more.

1 person likes this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Who actually thought this team could win now with this lineup? I'm quite sure I haven't read anyone posting about how the Rockets could be anything better than an 8th seed.

I mean, sure. I want the team to win every time. But I certainly didn't think they were capable of that.

11. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

F that I will jump off the damn bridge.

Okay now I knew they would not be all that good and is hoping for some epic bad season. I want to be worse then the T-Wolves where a year ago.

12. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Oh trust me, there are some major homers in here that felt we had uprising elite talent good enough to be in the 4th seed. I will not call out screen names LOL

13. cod

cod Member

Based on those two games against 7 footer Cs. Dalambert plays like a dumb version of Birdman, but being paid twice as much.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I feel your pain bro.

TEAR.:(

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

So for those that wants Rox to be tanking, shouldn't this be the perfect results for them?

Anyway, Morey himself says that he expect a 3-7 start. And what do you expect when we are playing 6 play off teams which is played over what? 9 days?

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/q_with_daryl_morey_december_2011_12_29.html

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

This.

We've already won 1 more game than I expected at the 10 game mark so on that side we are better than I expected. BUT we are starting to see signs that we are probably nothing more than a 1-and-done IF we get that far. I know we have a long schedule, but it will take some critical injuries to more than 2+ contenders for us to take them out in 5 or 7 games.

I don't think another #14 pick is going to make a difference.

17. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Fri 06 @ Oklahoma City 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am LOSS
    Sat 07 vs Oklahoma City 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am LOSS

Tue 10 @ Charlotte 6:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN
    Wed 11 @ San Antonio 7:30pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am LOSS

Fri 13 vs Sacramento 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN

Sat 14 vs Portland 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am LOSS

Mon 16 @ Washington 1:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN

Tue 17 vs Detroit 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN

Thu 19 vs New Orleans 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN

Sat 21 vs San Antonio 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN

Mon 23 @ Minnesota 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN

Wed 25 vs Milwaukee 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am LOSS

Fri 27 vs Washington 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am WIN

Sat 28 vs New York 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am LOSS

Mon 30 vs Minnesota 7:00pm FSNHOU 610am and 850am LOSS

Lets look on the bright side,
    10 - 11 by the end of January. With all the injuries in our division, I think we won't be too far behind.

18. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I think what clutch means is that either you are in of these modes: tanking or win-now....there is no in between.

I don't agree with that premise but I that is how I take his comment.

19. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I don't know why you're sad...

Knicks are sucking big time right now against regular teams. That's our pick, holmes. :cool:

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

agree with Clutch. Morey even said he was hoping for about 3 wins in the first 10 games. Anything more would be a good sign.

But yeah, it's not just the record but the fact we looked really bad against the Clippers and Memphis. We need to see effort like Adelman got on a daily basis.