1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

?

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

1. True

282 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. False

231 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. battousai

battousai Member

You guys are forgetting one thing. The ways Lin was treated in game 5 are all different then how he was treated in all game 1 to 4.

The scary or bless part is that it took a sick beverly out in order for Mchale to see the true potential on Lin for the playoffs. Now, whether McHale will continue to utilitze Lin the way he did for game 5 or will he go back to game 1 to 4 on Lin is all but certain.

The bottomline is, no matter how well Lin is going to play, we still need Harden to contribute in big ways.

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Lin was valuable towards the end of Game 1 because he was the only who could score, but I wouldn't say he was an "offensive spark." At least not like Game 5.

I like Lin, but I don't have a ton of confidence in him. I don't think that's hate, I think that's fair for what we've seen from him. Sometimes, yeah he's pretty awesome. But that's the exception unfortunately. The norm is that he's very average to slightly poor most of the time.

3. archinkent

archinkent Member

This. He HAD provided on the offensive end before game 5, but just not consistently enough to warrant a 'False'.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Clearly,

Clutch made this thread is for the purpose of just to let some Lin fans to have another chance to vent.

In his previous post regarding why Bev should be the starter over Lin, he had mentioned :

" I know exactly what are the tope 3 most viewed video in this side, with 2 of them are related to Lin."

This thread also has a poll, Clutch knew what the result will be before he even made this thread.

Like Torocan said, all of us are biased, everyone does.

Even for the one who claim to post stats and facts, they are biased also, because they "selected" those stats and facts to make their points.

I checked the twits from Clutch for the last game, he no doubt said a lots of good things about Lin, but in the first half, you can still see his doubts about #7 in his twits regarding his games in the previous 4.

- Jeremy Lin hits a big three with two defenders surrounding him. He's had an excellent half... err, then he airballs his next three.

- Who is that guy wearing #7? Completely different Jeremy Lin tonight.

5. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

What exactly's the point of this thread? All I know is we have a big game tonight and need everyone to step up and play well

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOF's complaining about clutchfans and its quality. If you don't like it then just get out.

If anything, it's the LOF's who have dragged the quality of this board down.

7. archinkent

archinkent Member

I think that is a given, if you read his posts about Lin in game threads.

8. hollandog

hollandog Member

the poll concludes so far we have 934 LOF and 388 REAL ROCKETS FANS.

LOF is the majority of clutchfans. :O

1 person likes this.
  9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Dude, pre and post xOF there has plenty of crap around here haha. It's just tied to player fandom nowadays. You just, as always, have to sift through the crap to get to the good stuff.

10. hollandog

hollandog Member

There were TOF, YOF and now we have LOF, HOF, etc

what makes TOF, YOF and HOF are real rockets fans and LOF is not?

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

By definition?

Lin Only Fans are fans of Lin only. If he got traded to the Raptors tomorrow, they would stop following the Rockets.

This is the definition of a Lin Only Fan, and separates them from actual Rockets fans.

Separate the emotion from the label and it's an accurate description.

12. hollandog

hollandog Member

I'm sure if t-mac or yao were traded in their prime, TOF and YOF will follow the player as well. Even if Harden is traded now, significant of his fan base will be following him. Isn't that common sense?

Nobody called TOF and YOF not real rockets fans.
    People were criticizing Yao's butter fingers and toughness all the time here, anyone defended Yao was labeled YOF. Now look at how people are worshiping Yao like legend here.

Difference is that LOF is taking it to another level.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen this thread really turn into that. So the evidence is no.

Dwight gets criticized here. Harden gets criticized A LOT. Parsons does too, and he makes pennies. Garcia and Casspi get ripped apart. Jones gets criticized. But only Lin fans get so bent out of shape. You have to understand what it feels like to be on the other side When you are just making casual observations and then get attacked.

Clutch is very impartial and very fair. I have seen him post on this site for over 10 years (I use to have a different moniker). He was a big defender of Yao Ming. You guys don't know how idiotic it is when people say he is biased or racist. He is just making basketball observations. That's it. But if he is backed into a corner he is going to respond and deliver a hard blow. He's going to make his case. People give him so much grief of course he has to put up things that show he is not the one who is biased.

Body language, amount of hesitation, how a player responds to a mistake or a missed shot. It's pretty easy to tell. When a player is playing with swagger they don't hang their head. They don't complain to the refs too much. Lin is easy - when he is unsure about himself, he makes a wild expression when the call goes against him. He also over acts any kind of bump or injury. You know he isn't going to put up good numbers when he does that. I mean, it's really obvious he has confidence issues. When he feels good, he doesn't always score, but the defense completely gets scrambled because his attacking becomes a real problem. But when he is timid, or over-aggressive but unsure of himself - it's a real mess.

I honestly don't look too much at the box scores if I watch the whole game. Whether a shot goes in or not has a lot of statistical variance. One or two extra makes can turn a poor shooting night into a decent one. It's more of the quality of shots a player is taking. Honestly there are times when Lin puts up 18 points and I feel he played poorly and there are nights he puts up 7 when I thought he played really well.

I just want Lin to play really well. It doesn't matter to me how much anyone scores, as long as the team scores and plays well. That's what so frustrating for guys like Clutch. He looks at the problems and players from a team perspective. His criticism of Lin is not personal at all.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. He is making a very key point.

He is showing how out of whack his own board has become. The poll question is very fair and very moderate. It is not inflammatory at all. In fact, it is true. Lin has not been a great spark off the bench in the first 4 games.

It should be 75% true - because honestly, I don't see how anyone could make a strong case that he was a great spark off the bench. But look at that poll. It's 70% false. That tells him what he needs to know - that Clutch isn't biased against Lin, that Clutchfans has become biased FOR Lin. That this place is not about the Rockets anymore, it's about Jeremy Lin.

And that's very frustrating because this forum is about the Rockets, of which Jeremy Lin is one key player of. But not the entire team.

And it really sucks that Rockets fans can no longer have rational discussion about the team and players without a holy war breaking out whenever Lin's name is mentioned.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You are kidding yourself to believe on any poll results related to Lin.

Lin has more AS votes than Harden. Go figure.

Clutch knew this exactly, as he pointed out before what are videos got viewed most and what are those video related too.

This is nothing more than a thread for the LOF to vent.

16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

It's like an invading army complaining about tactics of the rebels.

17. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Simply love the last a few paragraphs. Great insights.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I REALLY LIKE JLIN!! I like him as a player and as a person!!

BUT, I'm going to like him EVEN MORE, when he doesn't play for Rockets Red!

(P.S.) Biased? Everyone is biased, yes EVEN YOU!

19. windwave

windwave Member

If he had done a great job (at being an offensive spark) before game 5, how would you rate his performance in game 5?
    To me, he's done a great job in game 5. Game 1,3 : average. Game 2,4 : bad.
    And that's base on his season average and not other players.

20. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

To be very fair, I don't think any of our players have done a "great job" offensively, bar Dwight. Lin has been by far the second best offensive player on our team, so I voted a resounding NO.