1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bed vs Couch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jayzers_100, Apr 4, 2020.

?

Where do you sleep better?

1. Bed

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Couch

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I fall asleep much faster on the couch in the living room than in my bedroom upstairs. I can’t tell if it’s the harder surface and side support I prefer, or if I’ve just conditioned myself to be anxious when it’s time to sleep in my bedroom. Either way I’m curious to see if it’s the same for you guys.

2. likestohypeguy

Question: When you fall asleep on the couch, is the TV on?

Poloshirtbandit, Yung-T and Houstunna like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Bed... by a landslide.

Why is this a question?

Beds were made for sleep.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

First question is one's alcohol content.

5. likestohypeguy

Always a factor, just not likely to change much going from couch to bed.

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How old are you?

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I do both. More bed than couch. It occasionally couch.

if I fall asleep on the couch though I eventually migrate to bed. I just have to do that part fast cause of the potential to be up for 30+ minutes because i woke up and took too long migrating.

as far as comfort... I have kids under 19 so have slept in every bed and couch in the house lol.
    My kids with their mattresss (solid latex mattress) on the floor - no box springs - have the most comfortable beds by far. I suspect it’s cause it is harder and I guess I just like that better (that’s what she said) as I age. It’s also just kind of nice sleeping on the floor.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Late 20s. Always been a night owl so it sucks conditioning myself to get in a proper sleep routine. As soon as social distancing started I went back to my old habits; so I’ve been couch sleeping the past few nights to ratchet down the time I fall asleep (going into the office Monday)

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yes, but same for my bedroom lol

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I can’t sleep anywhere -but- my bed, room has to be quiet except for maybe white noise. Sometimes I use earplugs. I wish I could conk our anywhere. It’s a gift.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Kitchen counter top...oh wait we are talking about sleeping only...

Houstunna, CCity Zero and FrontRunner like this.
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

when im sick i find it easier to fall asleep on the couch. maybe its something to do with having the tv on.

i had a really bad case of the flu a couple months ago (i suspect i had coronavirus b/c i had all the symptoms and it was the sickest i had been in years) and would lay in bed for 2 or 3 hours trying to fall asleep. i would actually move to the couch so i could finally get some shut-eye.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Pass out on the couch fall asleep in bed. Quality of sleep between the 2 isn’t even comparable.

DonkeyMagic, CCity Zero and Houstunna like this.
  14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I sleep better reclined. Flat in bed on my back my back will tighten up over night. Flat on my side in bed my arm falls asleep. I don't like sleeping on my stomach. Due to this for a long time I slept in a recliner. Bought an adjustable bed a few years ago and I sleep great in that.

Sleeping on couches I have the same problems I have flat in a bed plus I'll normally end up with a crick in my neck.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

F'ing airplane sleepers. Deep down I truly hate all of you.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Usually fall asleep on the couch faster as I'm watching tv since I'm not actually trying to fall asleep. Quality of sleep is better in bed, but faster on couch.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In general, bed. But sometimes I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and in those cases I'll go to the couch (to avoid keeping my wife up) and end up sleeping better there. Somehow, I have less existential angst over there.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm one of the luck folks who can fall asleep anywhere at any time.

I prefer sleeping on a good bed but don't have a problem sleeping on a couch or recliner.

19. SemisolidSnake

It's a valid question. If a couch can accommodate my 6'4" frame, it's often quite nice to be able to stretch out fully and have some side support. Feels more contained. On a bed, I have to sleep on my side in a little bit of an S shape to give myself stability.

That said, I slept on a couch for about a year recently, and it just was not a good thing for my back and neck and everything else long term. But it wasn't the greatest couch. I don't sleep on the greatest bed either now, but I'm quite glad to be on a bed.

Couches would be my preferred place for naps, but all the couches I could sleep on are within earshot of a TV or some other distracting noise. The bed is nice and isolated.

Other factors probably matter more to me than couch vs. bed. I like to have moving air while I sleep. I'd rather have a fan, ceiling or otherwise, going pretty high and have to sleep under multiple thin blankets than have stagnant air where I tend to overheat and sweat. Recently, I've had a lot of trouble sleeping in hotels where the beds are quite comfortable simply because of that.

And I need to sleep with a pillow between my legs because I sleep on my side. Sleep is a tough thing. Gotta find what factors work for you. There's no shame in asking. Unfortunately, I don't have any thoughts on the bad sleeping schedule issue, because I have one of the worst ever.

20. Buck Turgidson