1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Beacon Journal] Rockets Interested in Varejao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Are you people serious? He's like Super Chuck Hayes. He'd be a great fit. What other realistic options are out there for a 4? I think he's getting a bad rap because of that bone-headed layup attempt in game 3 of the Finals. That ball should have gotten back out to Lebron, but Varejao can hit that shot.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

no f#$king way. i'm guessing they'd be talking full mle money or close? i'd be very disappointed in a move like that unless we're also pulling rashard or artest out of this offseason.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

I hope it's Varejao's agent leaking that info, ie trying to artificially ram up his client's value. Since the Rockets just traded Juwan Howard, Chuck Hayes is a free agent, and Morey publicly stating their likely to fill their needs through trade or free agency, it sounds believable. I really hope that is the case.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

VSpan's a goner, anyway, so no worries. I'm excited about the prospect of a Varejao bobblehair giveaway at Toyota Center - I'd get there three hours early for that one. Varejao on this team will be the most fun we have seen since Moochie shaved his head.

5. mister pc

mister pc Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

id rather resign chuck hayes or the take best PF we can get at #26 than Variejo, i did see the finals and he was an embarrasment. It would be a disgrace to see him in the rockets uniform.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

For the MLE I'd take Varejao; I think that's fair value. Sure, he's just a taller version of Hayes, but I wouldn't mind a taller version of Hayes. He can play both PF and C positions and Deke isn't getting any younger. I'd envision him as being our own Jeff Foster, with less rebounding (still good) and more flopping. At the very least, he's injury insurance for our entire frontcourt as Yao, Hayes, and Deke are all locked into one position.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

An MLE for Varejao would definitely be a wink wink Mo Taylor deal.

This is like members gushing over Lakers' trash not named Horry, Kobe or Shaq 3 years ago because they were "proven winners".

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If he could block shots or hit a 14-17fter I would be all for it. Unfortunately he does neither. Look for the league to crack down on floppers. At the full MLE? Hell no.

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

How do you know? Yao told VSpan on phone that he's going to give one year free coupons for Kung Po Chicken, Peking Duck, and Sweat & Sour Pork in Yao Restaurant if VSpan comes back to the Rockets. And VSpan said yes.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am ok with him if we dont have other options on 4. He probably can hold his ground against Ducan, Boozer and whoever out there is going to abuse us at 4. This to me is most important. However, he needs to lift his head if he's going to play for us. I hated seeing him bury his head and passing up wide open teammates in the playoffs.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

sign me up for Anderson at something around the MLE

the dude is young, fit, fast, great size and plays intense.... something that would be a great match with Yao

Joe

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

After the initial flood of emotion. I re-read it again...

""expected to be" is very different to "interested in". Thread title needs to be changed.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

All I know is that after Varejao didn't give the rock back to Lebron and took that horrible shot in Game 3, he said he would do it again if he had a chance to do it over. He did not think that it was a bad decision!!! That's enough to tell me the guy thinks he's way better than he really is. Hi energy is great but we could get Richard Simmons for that.

16. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

im glad im not the only one who thinks this guy looks like carlito hahaha :p
    i'd rather have chris wilcox instead

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You see, the problem with posting anything that makes sense in here is that you will be going against a raging torrent of Chuck Hayes fans. They'll take it as a personal offense that you would even suggest such a thing. But facts are facts...

Hayes grabs rebounds at 14.6 per 48 min. Varejao at 13.5.

Hayes commits fouls at the rate of 7.9 per 48. Varejao at 6.7.

Playoffs, Hayes vs the Jazz was a minus 3.0. Varejao in the playoffs plus 14.9.

And of course, there'll be the outrage from the Hayes fans that Varejao did that against poor competition. So...

Against the SPURS while being swept ...
    Plus 5, Plus 2 (the blow out game), Plus 3, and Plus 4.

Like was said a Super Chuck Hayes...a 7 foot Super CH that can actually score and play Center. Yeah, the flopping sucks, but he averaged 7.5 and 5.3 rebs in the Finals.

3 year MLE with a Team Option 4th. The Cavs are in a little worse LTax situation than the Rockets. If the Rockets can pull a trade that uses Sura's expiring...they'll duck further under the LTax and should take a serious look at Varejao.

#37 GATER, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  18. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree! Who gives a sh*t about VSpan? I don 't! :D

19. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I love it.

This guy has serius potential. Have to love the way he D'd up on Duncan, held his own in several stretches while guarding TD.

Raw offensively is obvious, but he's just a hustle machine. Those who may call him a white Swift - ask yourself - did you ever see Swift play with the passion, energy and hustle of Andy?

Great addition at the MLE. Even if im in the minority I dont give a damn.

Maybe wont be able to afford him though, I have a feeling he'll command more than even he is worth... :(

20. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Check this out, This is a Highlight clip of Varejao

Pretty good huh.