1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBC Sport- Amaechi ready for take-off

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/us_sport/3179280.stm

Amaechi ready for take-off

By Andrew McKenzie

Britain's John Amaechi is looking forward to a fresh start after being traded from the Utah Jazz to their Texas rivals the Houston Rockets.

Amaechi's frustrating two-year stay in Utah was brought to an end when he was sent to the Rockets in a multi-player trade that saw Glen Rice go in the opposite direction.

"I'm thrilled with the move," he told the BBC Sport website. "I'm excited to be in Houston to play with this team - they seem like a good crew.

"I'm looking forward to a fresh start - an opportunity to play again and being in a position where every night my role will be important - that's where it should have been.

"I wasn't really having an opportunity to do anything in Utah - I felt quite useless at times."

After two successful seasons with the Orlando Magic Amaechi arrived in Utah with high hopes.

But he fell out with Utah coach Jerry Sloan and ended up being used only sparingly during his two years in Salt Lake City.

He is looking forward to the opportunity of getting some court time after averaging just over 10 minutes under Sloan

"Houston coach Jeff van Gundy is very keen and so I'm very happy the move has happened," he added.

"Jeff is very intense - he lives and breathes winning.

"He's a big fan of mine from my time in Orlando so he knows what I can do from there.

"I actually feel like a person at the end of the day now and I even smile in practise, which is an interesting experience."

Amaechi is likely to play back-up centre to one of the game's biggest attractions - 7ft 6in Chinese superstar Yao Ming.

The 22-year-old Ming entered the league last season after becoming the first overseas player to be picked first in the NBA draft and quickly emerged as one of the game's brightest stars.

"I think he's an exceptional player and it will be a lot of fun to play with him," Amaechi added.

"Steve Francis is also a phenomenal player and individually they have a lot of talent - some of whom don't get the same kind of mention as Yao and Steve.

"I think it is going to be a good year."

2. Bmw#13

Bmw#13 Member

You mean back up back up to Cato.

3. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Take off where?

:rolleyes:

4. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Cato will play 60% PF and 40% C this year! Just my guess! :D

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

So far I thaught that he might make the IR.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

HEHEHEHE

Dude looks like he can knock down the 15 footer along with a hook shot and bang down low a little. I think we are setting up a trade of Cato and the trade exception for the midseason big deal that is gonna go down.

I bet JVG plays Cato 20+ minutes per game just to up his value. THen we are stuck with the English patient as our backup C.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Amaechi's heart is in the right place and he's an upgrade over Collier. I personally think Cato is too slow at PF in a man-to-man but some quality minutes from Amaechi could mean some shared time on the floor for Yao and Cato. I for one would love to see a 3-2 or 2-1-2 matchup zone with a back line of Eddie Griffin, Yao and Cato. Anything we get from Meech is a plus in my book.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I hope he will play as well as his mouth does. Damn, he has to be the best speaker in the NBA.

9. Bmw#13

Bmw#13 Member

There is no way he can guard the centers of the west. He's just to small. If we trade Cato, we better get back another center because he won't cut it as back up.

10. SLA

SLA Member

He's not small. 6-10, 270 pounds. BUT HE IS QUITE SLOW! I think he could be a decent backup for Cato if he is not allowed to post up or try any offensive move on offense. :) He can shoot though. His free throws are awfully inconsistent..I've only seen him play 2 times though. He's a good garbage time player. That's it. The only good play I saw from him was him and Moochie trying to get something going on offense...and he gets the ball and knocks Antonio Daniels down...and glances at AD...and then just looks up and shoots it and it actually goes in! That was hilarious...his passing is horrible.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I wonder how much garbage time the rockets will have in their favor this year.....

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Poor Britain. He's their basketball star. :(

13. Bmw#13

Bmw#13 Member

6-10 but still not big enough. He is no shot blocker and real slow.I don't know, I just don't seem to like his game for some reason. Weird.

14. x_trepidation_x

John needs to work on his defense. What is good about him though is that he is a very large body which is a huge plus when playing against the likes of a SHAQ.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Two things Amaechi can do.

1) Isnt afraid to get down low and bang around
    2) Can in fact shoot pretty decent

Collier could do #2 but didnt seem to have it in him to do #1
    At least Amaechi can do both.

He wouldnt be my first choice to fill Collier's shoes, but we could have gotten worse.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

More biased reporting from the BBC.

17. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Maybe he means he needs to "take off" a few pounds! :cool:

18. danielk

danielk Member

Amaechi looks like a war vet ready for war..he has storage to attack on his secret compartment which are two man boobs ; just like how a camel can survive through its storage without water for many months or something

19. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i have no idea he's a Brit.

20. harumph

harumph Member

that is an amazingly accurate statement! The BBC suck big time for "objective reporting".