1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBall Breakdown] Is Harden's stepback legal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tehG l i d e, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Is this the Yao treatment all over again. Are the refs going to suddenly start calling these travels in the middle of a series?

2. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

This video shows it to be too close to call imo. The "2" step should actually have both feet landing simultaneously. Instead his left foot lands immediately after his right foot, and could, by definition, be deemed a travel. However, in the NBA, I agree you do not call this a travel.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm stupid --> "...him planting his OTHER foot behind the arch to then go for the jumper IS NOT A STEP." This makes total sense actually

#122 Louka, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

"him planting his OTHER foot behind the arch to then go for the jumper IS NOT A STEP."

This confuses me. Is it like a backward stop and pop?

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can you explain why the last step doesn't count? That's the part I'm unclear on. I'm not an expert on this rule apparently but I count the steps the same way this video does, except I count steps 2 and 3 when he jumps behind the line. Why isn't that right?

5. Louka

@Will @harold bingo Think about it. If you've played basketball, imagine yourself dribbling along the 3-pt arc. You gather the ball, you take a left step, you stop on your right foot, and you slide our left foot into position for a jump shot. That is not 3 steps. You were simply planting your left foot so you could take a shot.

If you haven't played basketball before, I don't know how to explain it any better :/

Edit: P.S. I actually closed my office door and started reenacting how I would take a shot off the dribble lol

ilovehtownbb and hakeem94 like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What you are describing is a travel. There is no free step allowed just because you are entering a shooting motion. You really should point out in the rule book where you are getting this from.

7. durvasa

If he landed on both feet simultaneously and then went up to shoot then that would count as 1 step, not 2. But that’s not what happened here.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and that's 2 steps after the gather step.. ask the 3 refs on the floor who came to same conclusion

you think the 3 refs especially the guy right beside Harden closely looking at his feet simply missed the obvious fact that he didn't land on both feet simultaneously?

you think the 3 refs especially the guy right beside Harden closely looking at the ball and both his hands simply missed when he actually gathered the ball and made his gather step?

topfive likes this.
  9. Louka

Incorrect. You are flat out wrong. It is not a step. You should really play basketball to understand.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

So much arguing over one play. I think he might have gotten away with traveling on this specific plays, but it doesn’t matter, his. Kemal step backs are legal and that’s what matters. Every now and then you travel, it happens.

durvasa likes this.
  11. durvasa

You don’t get a free step after the gather and before the 1-2 count begins in the NBA. The rules very explicitly disallows this, and online explanations from NBA refs further makes this clear.

I am curious which league did you play in that allowed this?

12. vlaurelio

does the gather step occur before, during, or after the gather?

and fyi, 3 NBA refs on the court and 1 directly infront of the action says its not a travel.

Harden's stepback is LEGAL. just accept it even if its difficult.

13. durvasa

Unfortunately we have two groups of people here who are being unreasonable.

You have Group A which says Harden appears to have traveled on this play so he must get away with a travel all the time. Overreaction.

Then you have Group B who are so defensive about Group A’s overreaction that they insist Harden never ever travels.

Then there are the people in the middle who recognize that on occasion he may travel (just like on occasion Dream may have traveled), but generally speaking he doesn’t and he’s just really, really good.

14. vlaurelio

so is Harden's stepback A)LEGAL or B)NOT

15. durvasa

16. vlaurelio

really? REFS, Harden, NBA Players>>>>>>>>Feigen?

is really that hard to admit that Harden's stepbacks are LEGAL?

17. eslate22

eslate22 Member

it’s the same thing as a player driving to the basket and taking 2 steps before jumping up for the shot/dunk/layup... he just does this going backwards instead of forward

burlesk likes this.
  18. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

You are right and damn typing on my phone sucks sometimes. Just saw all the auto corrects lol

19. durvasa

The “gather step” must precede the completion of the gather. And then you get two more steps.

Better yet, using the language of the rule book— you get two steps after ending the dribble, and one way to end the dribble is both hands on the ball. The rule book doesn’t use the term “gather step”.

20. Louka

Hmmm maybe you misread or I misrepresented it. After the gather you get your 1-2 count and then you can essentially replant the '1' for a shot... so in the video it can be easy to misinterpret the plant leg as a third step. In my mind I was thinking you had to land both feet at the same time similar to a hop step or a jump stop, but that was just Harden's moves playing a trick on me... like any other off the dribble shot you can plant that 'third step'