1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BattleRedBlog: These Houston Texans May Be Texans No More

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

https://www.battleredblog.com/2018/1/4/16848116/these-houston-texans-may-be-texans-no-more

These Houston Texans May Be Texans No More

We may have seen the last of these players in a Texans uniform.

Which players have suited up for their final game in a Houston Texans uniform? Some we will bid a fond adieu, and others are Kendall Lamm. Let’s jump right in, shall we?

Potential Name Cap Casualties

Brian Cushing - the longtime linebacker didn’t play too well when he was in there, and most of the time - he wasn’t in there. A second PED suspension (and a second lame excuse for the positive test) may be our final, lasting memory of one of my all-time favorite Texans. Contract status - under contract through 2019. Houston would save $7,640,625 by cutting him this offseason.

Lamar Miller - this would be a mild surprise, probably not a shock. Miller has been fine for the Texans, but probably less than what they expected. Of course, as has been said on this here website many times - we often have no idea what the heck Bill O’Brien is doing with Miller half the time. Miller excels when he is able to use his speed, yet so often is used between the tackles. With D’Onta Foreman bursting on the scene in 2017 looking much more explosive and breaking tackles all over the place - you can certainly make the case that the Texans will move on from Miller in favor of a younger, cheaper backup for Foreman. Contract status - under contract through 2020. Houston would save $4,750,000 by cutting him this offseason.

Old Guard

Johnathan Joseph - Arguably the best free agent signing in Texans history (am I forgetting someone??) J-Jo dropped off a good bit this year after having a resurgence in 2016. Since he signed, the Texans have gotten more out of Joseph than they possibly could have hoped for. At 33 years old and a free agent, he’s not likely to return but with his highly-regarded leadership and so much uncertainty in the secondary it’s difficult to gauge how the Texans will value him going forward. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

Shane Lechler - I think Lechler will be back, but he does not have a contract. Bill O’Brien loves him, and the team loves him as much as anyone can love a punter or a kicker. Lech has already stated he wants to keep playing and he’s likely motivated to stay local... but his contract status puts him on this lists’ radar. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

Okay Good Luck Then

Alfred Blue - Bill O’Brien loves him some Alfred Blue, but his contract is up. That said, I can’t imagine there being anyone willing to pay him much more than whatever a decent special teamer and below average running back will command, so he may be back to become what I will refer to as a “Bill O’Brien Legacy Guy”. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

Thank You For Your Service

T.J. Yates - What is this - T.J.’s third tour with the Texans? He may be back as a camp arm and won’t start the season on the roster - but no way am I going to say Turkey Juice has played his last game in a Texans jersey. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

One and Done

Marcus Gilchrist - Gilchrist had some good moments early but overall was a problem in a problematic secondary. He’ll likely end up elsewhere unless he goes for a near minimum deal. I so wish the Texans had enough draft picks to take a competent safety in the first three rounds. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

The Greatest (Clown) Show on Earth

Jeff Allen - he has been terrible. He may stick simply due to how bad the line is and the fact that the team isn’t likely to replace all four of the starting offensive linemen it NEEDS to replace in one offseason. Contract status - under contract through 2019. Houston would save $4,875,000 by cutting him this offseason.

Breno Giacomini - This ham & egger played 100% of the Texans offensive snaps in 2017. His mean streak is legendary, and is second only to his “being an abomination of a starting NFL offensive lineman” streak. My god, this offensive line - what a disaster. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

Kendall Lamm - Kendall Lamm is Kendall Lamm. Contract status - 2018 restricted free agent.

Xavier Su’a-Filo - XSF is bad. He shows flashes as a run blocker at times, but my god the pass blocking. XSF will go down as one of the worst high picks in Texans history. How did the 2017 offensive line happen!?!? So, so bad! Contract status - 2018 free agent.

Chris Clark - *screaming and clawing at my own face* - HOW DID THE 2017 OFFENSIVE LINE HAPPEN!?!?! I could actually see Clark coming back as a swing tackle. Do I WANT that? I do not. Buuuut not all of these guys are gonna be gone. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

It’s Not You, It’s Just That “You” Aren’t Deshaun Watson

Tom Savage - O’Brien loves him some 2017 Week 1 Starter Tom Savage. 2017 Week 1 Starter Tom Savage I think could be a decent NFL backup QB provided 2017 Week 1 Starter Tom Savage has a top ten offensive line. Down here in the real world, though - 2017 Week 1 Starter Tom Savage will hook on as a backup somewhere else. Contract status - 2018 free agent.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

CJ Fiedorowicz - Can’t - catch. Can’t - block. Can’t - stay healthy. Can’t - go back and change those tattoos. CAN - get a nice contract extension. Houston would save $156,250 by cutting him this offseason.

Ryan Griffin - Can - catch (sometimes). Can’t - block. CAN get a nice contract extension. Houston would save $2,468,750 by cutting him this offseason.

I left off some of the annual “roster churn” guys, other than the annual roster churn guys who made up the starting 2017 offensive line. Do you think I missed any obvious choices? Feel free to pay tribute to those we are bound to lose in 2018, and name any others you think will be elsewhere next season.

Canadiandude and No Worries like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ummm no. Foreman is coming off an achilles injury.

Get rid of all of 'em. I don't want any, even as backups.

Let him go too. Don't want him back.

TEs stay injured but no real cap savings here. (That chant you hear in the background is Texans fans screaming JIM-MY GRAHAM! JIM-MY GRAHAM! ;))

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bad timing for a dump and rebuild.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

CJF can't block and can't catch? That's a fun hot take that has no basis in reality. The ONLY problem with him is that he can't stay healthy. Given that there's almost no cap savings for cutting him, he'll be back if he doesn't retire. Personally I think he should retire, he's just had too many serious concussions.

5. raining threes

the greatest ability is availability you cant block or catch on the IR.

He needs to retire. Savage ruined Fiedo's career.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

2018 and 2019 are going to be years where we go through some painful transitions.

The offensive line needs to be completely rebuilt ASAP and the front 7 are going to need some serious retooling if Watt can't return to form.

Not to mention the back end of the secondary and secondary depth are areas of significant concern.

If we can make it to 2020 without getting Deshaun killed or devoting a stupidly huge amount of money to injured/dead-weight names on defense we will be in good shape.

Of course --- all of this assumes BOB is either fired or learns how to coach by then.

napalm06 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but that's not what the crazy kid who wrote the article said now is it? If he had said simply that he wasn't able to stay healthy I'd have agreed with him. Instead he rolled with ridiculous hot takes and that's what I called out.

Also, it's pretty petty to try to blame a specific QB for Fiedorowicz's concussion problems, but you know, whatever.

raining threes likes this.
  8. raining threes

Lets see, Fiedo/Griffin/Anderson all had multiple concussions with Savage playing QB. This could be considered a trend and not being petty. And I like Savage, I think he goes to the Pats next offseason and becomes a pretty good QB.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but you are implying that Savage did something that caused the concussions and that's simply not true. I think the concussions happen no matter who throws the ball.

10. showa13

showa13 Member

CJ and Anderson tend to lead with their heads, and leave them exposed to hits and awkward landings. Anderson needs to work on protecting himself more, idk if CJ should continue playing due to the amount of concussions he received in such a short amount of time. QBs can throw the ball and leave players exposed, but that wasn't the case for any of them. Griffin's was just a part of the game.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

So, this guy thinks Foreman is our starting RB next season? He has no concerns about Forman's torn Achilles?

J.R. likes this.
  12. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Cj and Braxton miller are two of the most unnatural pass catchers I have ever seen. They both look like they have oven mitts on their hands and try to slap the mitts together at the exact time the ball sails between the two mitts. Neither comfortably lets the ball absorb into their hands.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Don't you mean BOB ruined it? LOL

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I won’t be mad if we lost every player named on that list.

Canadiandude, Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

i strongly disagree, CJ Fiedorowicz has solid hands, if you want an example of someone who is an unnatural pass catcher, look at baby hands Fuller.

Nook likes this.
  17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

With Foreman coming off a significant injury I would be shocked to see Miller cut.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

They have to actually field an offensive line. I think they keep Clark (ugh) and Allen (double ugh). I think they'll keep Miller as well. I sure hope CJ retires for both his own good and the team's. Too bad he really looked like he was coming around. They almost have to keep Ryan Griffin and Anderson. I would try and re-sign JJO at the minimum. We don't have enough cap space or draft picks to even come close to filling our OL and Secondary gaps, much less running back and TE.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

FWIW this draft is deep with RBs and CBs

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I guess we could keep Blue on minimum and take a chance with a 6th round pick as a third back if we really need Miller's cap space. No use to free cap space if you don't use it effectively (i.e. Brock). Miller is a good running back at a decent price. I'd keep him unless we can get a pick for him or we really have to have the cap space.