1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Battle of the Piney Woods] #9 Sam Houston State vs. Stephen F. Austin

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Anyone else going? Supposedly there are already more tickets sold than last year and there are only a limited amount left. That bodes well for breaking the attendance record for the 3rd year in a row.

I wasn't worried about SFA until they beat Central Arkansas last week. Hope the Kats don't take them lightly and actually put them away, unlike the Central Arkansas game.

I will be tailgating with some friends starting at about noon. Going to do my best not to pass out before kickoff at 3. Already got my flag flying!

[​IMG]

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I will be there. I had to buy tickets in the corner because all the sideline tickets were sold out. I heard they were starting to sell some SHSU tickets on the SFA side.

I just hope we win, but could be a shootout.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was there. Over 26,000 attended. Largest ever for The Battle of the Piney Woods. Saw some d-bags I knew while I was in school there and took pleasure in the fact that they're all losers and failures nowadays either unemployed or working ****ty hourly jobs they could have done out of high school. Anyways...... I'm glad we won, but I have to seriously question to decisions made by Sam's offensive and defensive coordinators.

It took nearly the entire first half before Sam Houston got any passing yards. What's worse, they weren't even attempting passes - just running it over and over, usually losing yards when running the "Bearkat" (Wildcat) option. When we started to involve Brian Bell more in the game, we turned it around. But I have no idea why the OC took so long to adjust his gameplan. I would like to see Bell rolling out of the pocket more to pass. I've seen him throw while on the run a few times and he seems to be pretty accurate. Might as well take advantage of this and give defenses something else to think about.

As for the defense, we need to address our secondary. I guess since we have good corners the coaches feel like they could do one-on-one coverage all the time with only one safety dropping back in coverage, but I'm not a fan of approach.

I'm too lazy to look into the stats, but we've given up so, so many long pass plays in this game and especially in both our losses. That has to be addressed in some way if we hope to have a playoff run.

Again, I'm glad we won, but there are plenty of things this team can work on. I won't be able to watch the next two games (unless I decide to go to homecoming against McNeese) so I'll just check out the stats and game reports to see how they do.

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2156bfGo4Iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And Haymitch, I agree with everything you posted. They keep getting burned on big plays. And the OC's playcalling is pretty suspect, especially very early in the game.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It was a fun game, but yeah, WAY closer than it should have been. Agree with the comments about always playing man-to-man and leaving the CB's on an island. That's not going to cut it, assuming we make the playoffs.

Anyway, the tailgating was a lot of fun. I always look forward to this game as it's the one time a year we get to pretend like we're a big time college football program! Seemed like there were WAY more SHSU fans tailgating than SFA. We had the entire blue lot and SFA just had a part of the gravel lot.

Wish games were this much fun when I went to school there.

[​IMG]