1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Batting Order (updated)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Coach Flip, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I've updated this post. My first posting was my batting order against RHPs and LHPs: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/hinch-batting-lineups.282377/

This posting is about situational batting averages. When putting together a line up, it's critical to know who's producing with RISP (and who's not) along with who's better at setting the table. It goes beyond just BAs, HRs, RBIs, OBP, SLG, OPS, etc. There's a clear correlation between batting order and run production.

Get stats here: http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/36006/yuli-gurriel

Here's a list of our players' BA with "bases empty" and "RISP", respectively.

Altuve 361/179 (220 with runners on; only 11 RBIs)
    Correa 345/133 (192 with runners on; only 12 RBIs)
    Springer 215/318 (308 with runners on & 18 RBIs)
    Aoki 278/333 (333 with runners on)
    Reddick 313/211
    Bregman 216/429
    Gattis 207/444
    Gonzo 161/385
    Yulieski 295/471
    McCann 257/421
    Beltran 240/211
    Marisnick (313 bases empty)

I think most of us are okay with the middle and bottom of the lineups. However, based on the above stats, my primary concern is the top of the batting order. Based on the stats, I strongly believe Altuve would be a better lead off man, and Springer would be more productive batting 3rd. Here's my updated line up:

TOP OF ORDER
    Altuve (361 bases empty; 179 runners on; 220 RISP)
    Correa (345 bases empty; 192 runners on; 133 RISP)
    Springer (308 with runners on)

MIDDLE OF ORDER (pick 3)
    Yulieski (471 RISP)
    Gattis (444 RISP & 15 RBIs)
    McCann (421 RISP & 14 RBIs)
    Margo (375 RISP & 21 RBIs)
    Beltran

BOTTOM OF ORDER
    Bregman (429 RISP or Margo)
    Aoki (333 RISP)
    Marisnick/Reddick (300+ w/ bases empty)

Thoughts or suggestions? (no idiots please)

#1 Coach Flip, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

18-9

Pen15clubber and NIKEstrad like this.
  3. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

Is this cangrejero? Too many similarities..

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

need to see sample sizes. Correa at 3rd terrifies me. leave at the bottom of the line up until he finds his groove. dont waste altuve/reddick.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Didn't he just advocate for dropping Correa in the lineup in his last thread just a couple of days ago? Now he wants him hitting 3rd?

This is definitely kangaroojero

6. bobrek

This is what he advocated prior to Monday's game (against right handed pitching):

Aoki (.300 lefty)
    Reddick (.297 lefty)
    Altuve (.326 hitter)
    McCann (.279 power hitter)
    Yuli (.329 avg)
    Beltran/Gattis (DH)
    Springer (hit or miss)
    Correa (less pressure here)
    Gonzo/Bregman (platoon)

(against left handers):

Springer (bats right)
    Bregman (.250 righty)
    Altuve
    Gattis (.321 power hitter)
    Yuli (hottest hitter in MLB)
    Beltran (DH or LF)
    Marisnick (.286 avg)
    Correa (.233 avg)
    Gonzo (LF or DH)

Since then they have scored 6 and 8 runs, essentially with the status quo lineups.

7. bobrek

<delete>

8. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

New information since my last post. I see your concern. I'd really like Correa to take time off, and bring Gonzo back to infield. We moved Beltran to #2 spot and he did great last night. I think Correa is batting around 300 in last week so he may be coming around. I'm going with new stats...and no one knows if he's better off moving up or down the lineup. The stats show Altuve, Reddick and Correa are pretty lousy with RISP, but 300 hitters with none on.
    Who's kangaroo? Is he from Ohio, too?

9. bobrek

So you used a relatively small sample size to make your initial post and now you used a 2 game addition to your original sample size to make these changes? Correa had the one big hit Monday night with RISP, but failed miserably in the 8th inning last night.

10. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Are you satisfied? sorry, but I'm not a fan who watches things happen. I make things happen. Let's keep improving, do the small things right, shoot for 30-9, 40-9, and be the very best team possible. The future is open to suggestions and ideas. You never know when injuries, pitching, batting or a team slump hits the team.

11. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Yep. It's definitely him you guys. It's definitely, definitely him. lol...

12. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

You saw last night what happens when Gonzo plays for Aoki against LHPs. Super utility player as DH, LF & infield.

13. bobrek

And, ironically, the big grand slam came against a right handed pitcher, so, in your world, Hinch should have pinch hit for Marwin in that situation with Aoki? Sure is easy to come in after events happens to state a case. Right now, there is nothing "wrong" with the lineups other than players going into slumps which will happen over the course of a season. Or failing in a particular at bat or game. That is why no manager in baseball makes knee jerk reactions based on said slumps.

14. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Dude, my initial post was more about batting averages, not batting averages with RISP or batting averages with none on base. There's a big difference. Correa sucks with RISP. He's a much better hitter with none on base.
    First post about overall batting averages. 2nd post is about batting averages with RISP and none on base. Read it again.

15. the shark

the shark Member

Coach Flip glad to hear you're a fan who can make things happen. I've always wanted to see who would win a 40 yd sprint between Eddie Munster and Arnold the Pig ("Green Acres"). Could you see what you can do to make this happen?

16. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

That's something you can spend your feeble mind figuring out...

17. the shark

the shark Member

Coach Flip is your a$$ getting jealous yet of all the **** that's coming out of your mouth?

18. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

There's a huge problem with the lineups. Correa should not be batting clean up, 5th or 6th when his batting average with RISP is only 133.

19. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

No, but your feeble mind who can't contribute to this board for years is jealous of my brilliant mind who made a difference in 1 or 2 postings.

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

There can't be a HUGE problem with the lineups when we have the best record in the league. We've scored the 2nd most runs in the AL and have the 2nd best run differential.

Tweaks are one thing, cangrejero51... but wholesale changes like the ones you're suggesting can create some serious stability issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.