1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier vs Pietrus vs Barnes vs Afflalo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Feb 10, 2010.

1. kikimama

kikimama Member

Don't you know it's pointless to compare stats of players involving Battier?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Kwame brings up a good point. Battier is indeed superior to all those guys.

1 person likes this.
  3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

In before the Intangibles.

1 person likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Wow, never realized Battier's salary was that big..

6. underrated015

underrated015 Member

7. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

If this tells us anything we overpaid for Ariza.

8. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

If you told me that Shane gets 3 times more blocks than Michael Pietrus or Matt Barnes I would have slapped you in the face.

9. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

why? isn't it common knowledge that shane battier is a sensational shot blocker for a guy that is face guarding people and playing good position defense?

people don't realize how good of a defender shane is. he can do everything and he's elite at almost everything. he can effectively defend 4 positions. he's an elite transition defender. he's elite at help defense and team defense. he's always forcing players into what they want to do the least. he's taking charges every game. and he's even a great shot blocker.

there's not one single perimeter defender who's as versatile as shane battier. it's a shame that most people associate great defense with getting lots of steals and highlight blocks.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

O' RLY?

Ariza
    PPG 15.5
    RPG 5.6
    APG 3.6
    SPG 1.7
    BPG 0.4
    FG% 0.378
    FT% 0.645
    3P% 0.303
    MPG 38.1

Battier
    PPG 8.1
    RPG 4.3
    APG 2.3
    SPG 0.9
    BPG 0.9
    FG% 0.399
    FT% 0.741
    3P% 0.349
    MPG 33.1

and Trevor makes a million less. good try though. ;)

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

and the other players play with Superstars therefore get wide open shots.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We can disagree on plenty of things but can we give the whole 'Shane Battier is underrated' thing a rest.

EVERYONE knows he's a good defender and nearly every broadcast someone talks about his intangibles/leadership.

Again, we can disagree on how much we need him but we all know who he is and what he does.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

When has anyone talked about Shane being underrated recently?

Seems to me the only Battier discussion on this board is about how much he sucks.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Interesting find, and I still like to add Barnes to this team.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Where's posey? Oh yeah he's stuck on the bench, so its not beneficial to your argument, as it once was.....

It's about time you gave it a rest, but i must say, that pager you got that beeps every time there's a shane thread works wonderfully.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wonder if we can get battier on the same rookie contract Afflalo is on?

Or maybe we should have picked up Afflalo in the draft, so he could have gave us the eye opening 3.7 pts a game and 20% shooting from three he had his first year. Yeah that would have beat Utah. No doubt.

Maybe we should have acquired barnes in '06 instead of shane, when barnes came off an all-star season where he averaged 3.0 pts a game. Yep, that made sense. I wonder why other teams won't give him more than a 1 or two year contract at a time? Could that be why he's constantly available via free agency? Yeah those 6 teams he couldnt stay on for more than 1 or 2 years must not know about basketball.

I'll give you Pietrus, but at the same time I proved he was not available for houston since the time they traded for Battier, the last time you brought him up.

Face it, these "battier types" you keep bringing up are avilable because they can't stay on teams long enough. Must be a reason for that, Posey included. Pietrus doesnt even fall into this category, as he's not as easily available as you make it out to be. But what does morey and other NBA GMs know? Clearly not as much as Kwame the clutchfans poster.

2 people like this.
  17. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Ummm, no. Any athletic basketball player could average the same if given the same free reign/minutes as Trevor with all the shots he jacks up. Also his defense has slipped since he's trying to be Black Dynamite. Oh yea don't get me started on his 65% FT. Try again.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Shane Battier is DEFINITELY no longer underrated.

Now the problem is people can't handle a super role player. People expect fantasy value, not intangibles. Intangibles is just some over-used buzzword that is easy to make fun of.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nice dissection. I have to spread some rep around. :cool: