1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball] Well, the Yankees just got better

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by baller4life315, Jul 25, 2008.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nady is hitting .330 and Marte has been one of the most unhittable relief pitchers in the game lately.

I'm not familiar with the Yankees prospects so I HOPE these guys the Pirates are getting back are worth a damn. I've heard of Tabata before but that's about it. If the Pirates just pulled off another of these help-contenders-get-better-get-nothing-in-return trades you might see me walk out into traffic.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Nady's career OPS+ is 108. He's having a career year by far at 142, but he's 30 and his inflated BABIP is suspect, so expect him to regress to the mean with a second half poorer than the first.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So where does this put Damon when he comes back? DH?

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Since he's having a career year you could be right. All the same, the numbers speak for themselves. Top five batting average in all of baseball? He's already their best outfielder statistically. Not bad for a guy making $3M and change.

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

His BABIP his high, just like Tejada's was in the first month or so. Tejada wasn't walking, so it was clear he was just getting lucky and was going to drop off (as he has). Nady's walking at a bit higher rate than he usually does (just eyeballing this), so maybe he'll have a career year at the end. But being on pace for less than 50 walks doesn't do anything for me.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Tabata's young and he has talent, but there are some questions about durability and ability to hit for power. He's had some attitude issues this year too, I think he's been suspended twice. He's only 19 though.

Ohlendorf's okay. Probably a back of the rotation starter or decent setup guy. Coke's having a good year, but he's a 26-year-old in AA. Kontos is probably the most promising pitcher of the bunch, IMO. He's got a good arm.

I like the trade from the Yanks' perspective. Strengthens a bullpen that's already very good, and solidifies the bottom of the lineup. I hear they're still after Washburn for the 5th starter spot.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so who plays where? matsui? damon? who's out?

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

They said Matsui is most likely out for the season.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Say what you may about the Yanks, but its the last season for Yankee Stadium and it would be lame to not have a least 1 playoff game there.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

eh, i'd be fine with it.

11. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Nady's BABIP is high, but his line drive rate is over 26%, so he's not hitting seeing eye singles. His career line drive rate is over 20%, so I think he projects as a .295 hitter, not a .320 hitter. Still a good hitter, but probably a 20-25 HR guy who hits 40 2B. The issue with him has been durability, but he's been pretty healthy this year.

Tabata is 19. His power hasn't developed yet, but he's always played against guys 4+ years older than him. He hit .300 when he was 17 playing against major college guys 4-5 years older than him in the SAL. The most important thing I see in him is he walks alot, especially for his age/level, and doesn't strike out that much. When he signed, he weighed like 165. He looks to be about 180 now. I think in 2-3 years, when he 21-22, he'll fill out and be a 15-20 HR guy, but hit a bunch of 2B. I think he profiles as a .300+ hitter too.

Kontos is a good arm, not a #1 or #2 starter, but a good arm. Coke has pitched well, but he was 26 playing in AA, so the stats don't mean much. Ohlendorf is a good bullpen guy, with a good K rate. The Bucs might move him back to a starter, from what I've read.

Its too early to judge the deal from the pirates perspective, but the yankees get stronger for this year, and next with Nady.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

yankees fan here.

Going into the year, Tabata was an "untouchable," but his stock has fallen big time. He had a hamate bone injury that he seems to have never recovered from. Also, earlier this year he wanted his release because the pressure to perform was overwhelming him. In AA. Then he had a problem where he got benched for not backing up a flyball and he had a real bad attitude about it with the manager.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about the Yanks picking up Bonds.

14. justtxyank

FYI, the trade just changed. Kontos is no longer in the deal. WOO-HOO!

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

... But McCutchen is. I honestly think he's probably a little better than Kontos.

16. justtxyank

McCutchen is more big league ready, but he has some major flyball tendencies that were going to hurt him in the bigs. Kontos has the better stuff.

But, Karstens and McCutchen could both be a part of the Pirates pitching staff for the foreseeable future.

17. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

McCutchen as better stuff. I've read some things on Kontos that doubted he would contribute at the ML level.

Karstens and McCutchen can be back of the rotation starters, solid guys, but not aces. For the pirates, 5 solid starters is probably better than 2 aces and 3 scrubs.

As far as Tabata, I'm not concerned. 19 at AA is really young. His walk rate and low strikeout rate tell me he's not overmatched, but his body isn't developed enough to hit for power. The injury hasn't helped his power either. As far as the attitude problem, its something to watch for, but he is 19. He's never not been the best player on the field, until he started playing pro ball.

I don't think the Pirates got a great deal, but the certainly didn't get ripped off. If Tabata becomes what everyone thought he would be, they made out. If the 3 pitchers become solid major leaguers, its a fair trade.

18. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

This could be the motivation a young guy like Tabata needs to pan out. Apparently there's a rumor the Washburn deal is done, they're just going to wait until after the HOF inductions tomorrow to announce it. I wanna see Marte vs. the sox TODAY.

If you're a yanks fan or just baseball fan check out the forum in my sig man.

19. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

I've also wondered if the power would pan out for Tabata, he hasn't shown the signs on paper, but the scouts have always said it's there, who knows. That's crucial to his hype.